New music released today....

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

New music released today....

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:01 am

Some of you might like this…

I’ve been working with my good friend Adam Miller for the last two years. He founded the band Chromatics.

There’s an EP coming out November 10th but we released two singles today. The title track “Illusion Pool” is a shoegaze-y pop tune and “Everybody’s Been Burned” is a Byrds cover that features Lol Tolhurst (original Cure member) on drums.

I co-produced it with Adam and I did most of the engineering, minus Lol's drums. I left that to a friend who knows what he’s doing.

Stereogum

Here is a link for the Full EP:

Adam Miller Illusion Pool

Spotify link (spotify link above is wrong)

"Camera" is a Chromatics song, "Vincent" is a tribute to Vini Reilly and Blood On The Moon features our friend Hannah Lew (Cold Beat, Grass Widow) on vocals... and my red JM on the outro guitar solo (played by Adam)

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New music released today: Adam Miller

Post by countertext » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:48 am

NICE

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:18 pm

Nice work!

It must be fun to fully lean into making things spacious.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:29 pm

Very, very nice. Felt like the clouds.
I'm glad you did not give up on Singer or drums on your music, some consider these two the standard by which to measure a great band.
BTW, your singing & drums are solid. Good band and song my friend.
Continued success!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:55 pm

PapaB wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:29 pm
Very, very nice. Felt like the clouds.
I'm glad you did not give up on Singer or drums on your music, some consider these two the standard by which to measure a great band.
BTW, your singing & drums are solid. Good band and song my friend.
Continued success!
Thank you! That's not me singing though :) I did the keyboards, along with production and engineering.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:02 pm

countertext wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:48 am
NICE
:-* :-*
marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:18 pm
Nice work!

It must be fun to fully lean into making things spacious.
Thank you! I'm happy to hear you describe it as spacious! There's more layers than I would've liked but it was somewhat necessary.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Niiiice.

Spacious but still thick / lush.

Nice.

:)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:45 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:37 pm
Niiiice.

Spacious but still thick / lush.

Nice.

:)
Thanks Andy!

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:57 pm

Fantastic! Great work, love to see this

This mix is *excellent* too. Who did it? Also interested in who mastered... it's just really great.

It's dense, and the density gets across, but it's not congested or cluttered, the production frames the vocal really well and the timbral balance is spot-on.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:01 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:57 pm

This mix is *excellent* too. Who did it? Also interested in who mastered... it's just really great.

It's dense, and the density gets across, but it's not congested or cluttered, the production frames the vocal really well and the timbral balance is spot-on.
Wow thanks Brad! I think the gear list would make you laugh or well, surprise you. Super Lo-Fi.

Our friend Dan Knowles mixed it. He's done work with Sharon Van Etten and Cigarettes After Sex. He was in UK shoegaze band called Amusement Parks On Fire who moved to LA around 2009.

Mastering was done by Dave Gardner at DSG Mastering. He had some "modified 70's preamp" that he used. That's all I was told.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:41 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:01 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:57 pm

Wow thanks Brad! I think the gear list would make you laugh or well, surprise you. Super Lo-Fi.
I love it! Whatever works, truly—gear is so overrated compared to ideas and execution.
Our friend Dan Knowles mixed it. He's done work with Sharon Van Etten and Cigarettes After Sex. He was in UK shoegaze band called Amusement Parks On Fire who moved to LA around 2009.

Mastering was done by Dave Gardner at DSG Mastering. He had some "modified 70's preamp" that he used. That's all I was told.
Cheers to all of the above, I’m not familiar with their work until now but the result here is fantastic

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: New music released today....

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:50 pm

Thank you!! :-* :-*

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 am

I hadn't realised you had connections with Chromatics. I saw them a few years ago.

I love that Byrds song so I was curious to hear this cover. It's pretty epic! Certainly an interesting departure from the original but the sentiments & vibe remain in place. Great job!

Amusement Parks On Fire are also a band I'm pretty fond of, particularly the intro & first song (23 Jewels > Venus In Cancer) on their eponymous album. They always remind me of good times in London with my wife :) Say thanks to this Dan Knowles fella, if he had anything to do with it ;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:19 am

Yeah this sounds great, excellent work!

The Bronco I have came from the guitarist of Amusement Parks on Fire!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:51 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 am
I hadn't realised you had connections with Chromatics. I saw them a few years ago.

I love that Byrds song so I was curious to hear this cover. It's pretty epic! Certainly an interesting departure from the original but the sentiments & vibe remain in place. Great job!

Amusement Parks On Fire are also a band I'm pretty fond of, particularly the intro & first song (23 Jewels > Venus In Cancer) on their eponymous album. They always remind me of good times in London with my wife :) Say thanks to this Dan Knowles fella, if he had anything to do with it ;D
Re: Chromatics, I became friends with Adam and Ruth in 2018. Adam asked me to help him with his music in 2021.
Thank you for your kind words re: EBB :) The original is very '60s so I wasn't sure what to do. We needed another song to play when we did a few dates opening for The War On Drugs last year. That live arrangement had a more basic Chromatics-y beat as it easily & quickly fit my synth bass sequence in time for the tour. But when I got the chance to ask Lol to record for us I knew that song was the one that needed his sound.

I'm hoping we get to tour UK/Europe next year. But you're not in London anymore right?
Dan was in APOF in the beginning until 2009 i think so yeah he was there.