Shred Guitars for Non-shredders

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Shred Guitars for Non-shredders

Post by Beltone » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:10 am

I’ve had my eye on a Charvel So-cal Style 2 for a while and I’m close to pulling the trigger. Seeking some input before I do. What I like about this model is the fast neck, 24 frets, and versatile Fluence pickups in a package that doesn’t scream gunslinger. Knowing that, here are my questions.

1) Are you aware of similar guitars I could cross shop with this one?

2) Could you see a Charvel Jag or JM based on the success of the T-style model?

If you have any direct experience with the So-cal Type 2, feel free to share that too.

Thanks in advance for the input.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shred Guitars for Non-shredders

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:31 am

I believe I'm the resident advocate for the Charvel brand 'round these parts- My undying love for all things Surfcaster (Especially Surfcaster 12s) is basically what brought me here to OSG.

Charvel can actually put together a great, versatile guitar. Pick it up- you won't be disappointed.

Answers to your specific Qs:

1) If the So-Cal appeals to you, I don't see a reason to shop around too much- the Charvel is likely the best choice in the 'hot-rodded strat' category without going full shred/pointy with a high-end Ibanez or Jackson.

2) Surfcaster, Skatecaster etc... It's been tried before, and they usually end up with a small cult following (me) but they've never had much success with their offset body styles commercially. Charvel enthusiasts are a finicky breed- they like what they like, and take to change slowly.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:41 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:31 am
I believe I'm the resident advocate for the Charvel brand 'round these parts- My undying love for all things Surfcaster (Especially Surfcaster 12s) is basically what brought me here to OSG.

Charvel can actually put together a great, versatile guitar. Pick it up- you won't be disappointed.

Answers to your specific Qs:

1) If the So-Cal appeals to you, I don't see a reason to shop around too much- the Charvel is likely the best choice in the 'hot-rodded strat' category without going full shred/pointy with a high-end Ibanez or Jackson.

2) Surfcaster, Skatecaster etc... It's been tried before, and they usually end up with a small cult following (me) but they've never had much success with their offset body styles commercially. Charvel enthusiasts are a finicky breed- they like what they like, and take to change slowly.
Thanks for the insights. I think at this point, it's basically down to choice of finish. I haven't found anything else in this niche category, but thought I'd put the question out there before pulling the trigger. If everything falls into place, I might have it by the weekend.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 am

Schecter uses the old Teisco Spectrum V body shape on a number of models, so that might qualify? Some of them use a teisco-ish 4x2 headstock, others a more aggressive 3x3.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:51 am

You might also be into ESPs - their shred-appointed versions of gibsons are quite nice, IMO. I would rather have a viper than an SG. They also have (had?) a jazzmaster-ish model called the XJ-6 which might still be in production?

One of the ESP family brands, grassroots, also makes a very cool 4-string bass modelled on the bass VI.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:25 am

I’d say every Fender Jim Root model.

"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:01 pm

Balaguer has been doing shreddy offsets for a while. I don’t think they have a 24 fret option though.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:53 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:25 am

Yeah- the Jim Roots are basically hardtail Charvels. Kinda makes me wonder why the guy likes the Fender name-brand at all, really.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:10 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:53 am
Yeah- the Jim Roots are basically hardtail Charvels. Kinda makes me wonder why the guy likes the Fender name-brand at all, really.
I'm pretty sure he likes the number of zeroes on the cheques Fender's marketing department is authorized to sign.

Fender owns Charvel, and they make his signature models whichever way he wants anyway, so the brand name on the headstock wouldn't affect much other than its sales potential, and therefore the number they're willing to pay to make that happen.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:13 am

Beltone wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:10 am
I’ve had my eye on a Charvel So-cal Style 2 for a while and I’m close to pulling the trigger. Seeking some input before I do. What I like about this model is the fast neck, 24 frets, and versatile Fluence pickups in a package that doesn’t scream gunslinger. Knowing that, here are my questions.

1) Are you aware of similar guitars I could cross shop with this one?

2) Could you see a Charvel Jag or JM based on the success of the T-style model?

If you have any direct experience with the So-cal Type 2, feel free to share that too.

Thanks in advance for the input.
I'm on team shred guitars for non-shredding uses. I mostly play jazz. The challenge is finding one with pickups that are appropriate to the job.

I have a San Dimas Style 1 (non guard Strat) with a '59, JB, and Floyd. I got it in 2021 after almost a year's wait, and really loved it at first, however, it came from the factory with a neck fault that produced unfixable buzz across the 10th fret, and required it to be re-necked under warranty. Fret buzz aside, I don't like the new neck as much as the old one >:(

Pre-COVID Mexican Charvels from the 2010s were absolutely fantastic. COVID era ones are more hit and miss, I'm sorry to say. But they are still really fun guitars.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:18 pm

My one-and-only 6-string is a Charvel Skatecaster SK-1FR.

GREAT shredding offset- though it's a bit wasted on me. It just sits in the corner of my office, looking hot. I haven't plugged it in or done anything but strum it for a few seconds to check the tuning every couple weeks. I think if it had 6 more strings it would see more action. Maybe.

Decent used deals can still be found from Charvel's Desolation line from the 00-10s. Look for the "-1" in the model name (these have the EMGs and are neck-thru constructed - they'd command a premium if they were made anywhere else but China)

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:13 am
I'm on team shred guitars for non-shredding uses. I mostly play jazz. The challenge is finding one with pickups that are appropriate to the job.

I have a San Dimas Style 1 (non guard Strat) with a '59, JB, and Floyd. I got it in 2021 after almost a year's wait, and really loved it at first, however, it came from the factory with a neck fault that produced unfixable buzz across the 10th fret, and required it to be re-necked under warranty. Fret buzz aside, I don't like the new neck as much as the old one >:(

Pre-COVID Mexican Charvels from the 2010s were absolutely fantastic. COVID era ones are more hit and miss, I'm sorry to say. But they are still really fun guitars.
Andy Watt has posted some good videos showing the Fluence pickups cover a lot of territory tonally, so I'm feeling pretty good about that aspect.

Regarding the COVID era necks, what kind of inconsistencies should I be watching for? I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with compound radius necks TBH.

Thanks to everyone for the many suggestions for similar guitars that have been posted. I've been checking them all out. Hadn't heard of Balaguer before, but it looks like they make some nice guitars.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:46 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Steadyriot. wrote:
Maybe he's like John 5, where he likes the traditional models but they don't really fit in with the music that he makes?
Maybe it's the money. ;D
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:10 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:46 am
SignoftheDragon wrote:
Steadyriot. wrote:
Maybe he's like John 5, where he likes the traditional models but they don't really fit in with the music that he makes?
Maybe it's the money. ;D
That was me back when I was playing heavy stuff. I wanted high output guitars but didn’t want Ibanez or ESP.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:49 pm

Beltone wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 pm
Regarding the COVID era necks, what kind of inconsistencies should I be watching for? I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with compound radius necks TBH.
The original neck on my San Dimas had beautifully edge-dressed frets with little symmetrical hillocks around the tang lifting the fret above the board. Unfortunately, the neck had a hump in it that caused an unfixable buzz across the 10th fret, no matter how high the action was set or how the neck was shimmed.

The replacement neck is not nearly so carefully made or dressed (frustratingly since it was a warranty replacement by one of the few Fender authorized shops in my country). I also don't like the neck finish as well, it's a bit thicker. But it does the job.