Urgent need of help

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Urgent need of help

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 pm

CVBassVI wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:21 pm
Congrats BiLT on the, uh... original design. Reminds me of the old Pawn Shop models that Stratosphere had to blow out (reassembled) because no one wanted them even at Squier prices. This Pawn Shop Offset, for example. I nearly pulled the trigger at $350. Not sorry I didn't. I bought a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster instead.

Good choice. That Fender badge is worthless. There’s absolutely zero chance that pawn shop offset would’ve been worth that much.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:54 pm

CVBassVI wrote:
Congrats BiLT on the, uh... original design. Reminds me of the old Pawn Shop models that Stratosphere had to blow out (reassembled) because no one wanted them even at Squier prices. This Pawn Shop Offset, for example. I nearly pulled the trigger at $350. Not sorry I didn't. I bought a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster instead.

Wish I’d gotten mine back when they were that cheap. Fantastic guitar though, I adore mine. But hey, if they were to scratch that Bilt design itch, even with their inflated current prices they’re significantly less than the cost of that Zaftig

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:24 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:40 pm
I know they've got a lot of fans but most of their stuff is as ugly as sin, awkwardly proportioned. 'Wide range' pickups also massively over-rated and hyped beyond belief.
Agreed on both counts. To my eye, their models take some of the most aesthetically pleasing guitars ever made and beat them with an ugly stick until they look distinct enough to claim as original shapes. To this day, I don't understand why the Relevator has custom metal plates that don't even follow the contours of the body.

As for WRHBs, I got a Creamery Baby '71 WRHB that I pulled out of a guitar I traded for before releasing it back into the wild.

It sounds best with the six hidden polepieces removed. Now it's like a brighter Fralin Twangmaster - a nice, full-bodied but clear noiseless single coil in a PAF shape. All WRHBs are wound too hot for my tastes, especially the full-size ones. Firebird pickups have a similar magnetic circuit, but way fewer windings due to their tiny bobbins. If a WRHB was wound with a similar number of turns as a vintage Firebird pickup, it would probably sound great, but that's just not how any of them seem to be made.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:28 am

Embenny wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:10 pm
I think a lot of the value in a guitar like that lies in letting you choose whatever specs you want from the factory and getting a custom build. When a stock guitar costs the same as a full custom, it really needs to be spectacular to live up to the price tag.
This struck a chord with me, thanks. The guitar looks great to me and the impulsive magpie part of my brain really wants it, but for that money, as you say, I could have something spec'd to exactly what I want. To be fair, exactly what I want isn't too far from this at all; 24" scale and a different bridge pickup.

From Bilt the price for exactly what I want is only £100 or so cheaper than GuitarGuitar when VAT etc is taken in to account.

CVBassVI
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CVBassVI » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:14 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 pm
CVBassVI wrote:

Good choice. That Fender badge is worthless. There’s absolutely zero chance that pawn shop offset would’ve been worth that much.
Out of curiosity, do you know what Squier Baritone Jazzmasters go for used? Cause if you did, you'd realize how unintentionally hilarious your comment is. I know that a lot of you here wish your Fender's were more revered than they are, but do a little research before doing the snarky reply. Might save yourself some embarrassment.
"You WISH your overpriced Fender was actually better than my Squier." --TSElliot

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:22 pm

CVBassVI wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:14 pm
sal paradise wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 pm
CVBassVI wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you know what Squier Baritone Jazzmasters go for used? Cause if you did, you'd realize how unintentionally hilarious your comment is. I know that a lot of you here wish your Fender's were more revered than they are, but do a little research before doing the snarky reply. Might save yourself some embarrassment.
I’m left handed. I wish I could get baritone JM full stop.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:45 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:40 pm
I know they've got a lot of fans but most of their stuff is as ugly as sin, awkwardly proportioned. 'Wide range' pickups also massively over-rated and hyped beyond belief.
Yes.

I find this to be absolutely snooze-inducing. Originality is hard and just because Fender got screwed out of trademarking the body shape on a technicality... it still doesn't sit right for me. That goes for all the companies copying strat shapes, JM shapes, whatever - without securing a licensing deal. Drawing it in illustrator and stretching it a bit doesn't count.

I'm far from a Fender apologist (I mean obviously I love their guitars, but there are also a plethora of other amazing guitars out there) but since we're all creative people I do think it's pretty lame to copy or be ridiculously inspired by the original but not change it. I see it as making knock-off paintings. Sure you can paint 'better' but does it make it original? Nah.

A company that I admire the hell out of, actually shaking things up, that IMO has done something really cool is Verso.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm

CVBassVI wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know what Squier Baritone Jazzmasters go for used? Cause if you did, you'd realize how unintentionally hilarious your comment is.
The Squire Baritone JM is a fucking anomaly and you know it. It's nothing more than a weird covid-era Ouroboros of unfounded hype that spiralled. They're not particularly good guitars.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:14 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm
CVBassVI wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know what Squier Baritone Jazzmasters go for used? Cause if you did, you'd realize how unintentionally hilarious your comment is.
The Squire Baritone JM is a fucking anomaly and you know it. It's nothing more than a weird covid-era Ouroboros of unfounded hype that spiralled. They're not particularly good guitars.
It's just Loathe fans plus the fact that it's discontinued and wasn't made in large numbers.

It's also weird to imply that buying a Squier Baritone JM was a better financial decision than buying the Offset Special for $350, they've both gone up nearly identically in price over a similar amount of time.

CV, you'll make more friends here by making your point without treating every discussion like you're trying to dunk on whoever you're talking to. That's some reddit/twitter nonsense that isn't common on OSG and feels out of place.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm

Embenny wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:14 pm
It's just Loathe fans plus the fact that it's discontinued and wasn't made in large numbers.

It's also weird to imply that buying a Squier Baritone JM was a better financial decision than buying the Offset Special for $350, they've both gone up nearly identically in price over a similar amount of time.

CV, you'll make more friends here by making your point without treating every discussion like you're trying to dunk on whoever you're talking to. That's some reddit/twitter nonsense that isn't common on OSG and feels out of place.
Loathe, that's the one...I was struggling to remember the band that spawned it all. I got one of those baritones in a trade and was happy to move it on at around £300. That's all it was worth. It was non-remarkable at best.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:54 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm
https://richtonemusic.co.uk/squier-vint ... -2nd-hand/

Don't fancy one for £1100 then? :whistle:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:59 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:54 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm
https://richtonemusic.co.uk/squier-vint ... -2nd-hand/

Don't fancy one for £1100 then? :whistle:
Fucking hell. I mean. What? Speechless.

Excuse my language but...you gotta be a really dumb cunt to pay that much for a shitty old Squier.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:59 pm
'Shitty old Squier' might be a tad harsh but I agree with the sentiment. Ridiculous money for what it is. The Japanese Jaguar Baritone Customs can be had for less and they are a far superior instrument.

Richtone can be a bit out of touch with offset pricing though. Remember the Bronco with 2x Super Distortion for £1000? I bought a stock one 2 weeks earlier for way less then that

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:15 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:59 pm
'Shitty old Squier' might be a tad harsh but I agree with the sentiment. Ridiculous money for what it is. The Japanese Jaguar Baritone Customs can be had for less and they are a far superior instrument.

Richtone can be a bit out of touch with offset pricing though. Remember the Bronco with 2x Super Distortion for £1000? I bought a stock one 2 weeks earlier for way less then that
Okay, maybe I'm being harsh. But it's a budget instrument that was marketed and sold at a very cheap price originally. It was never meant to be 'great', just 'acceptable'.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:28 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 pm
The Japanese Jaguar Baritone Customs can be had for less and they are a far superior instrument.
It would be worth paying a premium just for the logo.

And no, I don't mean the 'Fender' one. I'm talking about proclaiming yourself...

THE BOTTOM MASTER.