Today is a good day - now poll...what to do??

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

What to do???

Keep Jag
77%
Go for the Peavey
23%

Total votes: 30

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Today is a good day - now poll...what to do??

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:39 am

I'm glad to have re-acquired some gear that I regretted selling. Sometimes, though, after getting some gear back, I realize why I moved the gear on in the first place. I guess it's all dependent upon reaching the acceptance of moving it on.

Enjoy the Peavey and the Jag while you have them and move one/both on when you're ready and don't worry about justifications for/against. I love playing bass but if I'm honest, I hardly ever play the four I have unless called upon to play out with friends. That's alright from having a "tool for the right job" perspective, I guess.

Reasons I hang on to gear:
  • Life experience with the gear (learning to play, played in my bands, etc.)
  • Gear I've put together or refinished (amazing how attached I've become)
  • Gear my guitar tech/friend has built/refinished for me
  • Vintage gear - primarily for enjoying/appreciating (to me) the golden age of Fender guitars/amps in particular, but undeniably a reasonable financial investment currently
  • That unmistakeable magic or mojo that you get when you pick up and play the instrument or play through a particular amp.
Eventually, all my gear will go with exception of something of particular sentimental attachement for me and my wife (after I'm gone...in hopefully 25-30 years from now? :whistle: ). Currently, this seems to be quite an insurmountable task. :derp:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:16 am
All that said though the great thing about having two basses is you can have flatwounds on one and rounds on the other.
Yep, this ^
All the cheeses....

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 am

Truth be told, there's only two pieces of gear I have any real sentimental attachment to: my Jazzmaster and my Rat. Everything else is superfluous really...and more of a 'I miss owning this'.

Worst case, I buy the T-40 and realise is was rose-tinted-specs all along and I sell it on (at a likely profit). It would be a heartbreaker to have the 'dream' dashed by reality though.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm

That's the same model bass I modded to put P pickups in there. The bridge J pickup is still there but not connected haha! (Because no one here helped me when I asked for wiring help!) It sounds much better / I hate J pickups.

I recently met a fellow who worked at Peavy all through the 80s in the office. He said the management were TOTAL assholes, misogynist, liars, petty, all the bad things. I'd keep the jag and tell Peavy to fuck off.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:12 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm
That's the same model bass I modded to put P pickups in there. The bridge J pickup is still there but not connected haha! (Because no one here helped me when I asked for wiring help!) It sounds much better / I hate J pickups.

I recently met a fellow who worked at Peavy all through the 80s in the office. He said the management were TOTAL assholes, misogynist, liars, petty, all the bad things. I'd keep the jag and tell Peavy to fuck off.
I'm sure Fender had their own fair share of misogyny and petty shit back in the 60s and 70s (what company didn't back then?) so I won't let that be the judge of it.

As for the bass...those Jags are great, right? I've seen people moan about neck dive but mine balances just fine. The wiring (don't take it personally about no reply, topics easily get missed here) is likely super easy...I know changing mine was no harder than swapping on any other guitar really - I just put the new leads where the old ones were. Worked perfectly.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:22 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:12 pm
DeathJag wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm sure Fender had their own fair share of misogyny and petty shit back in the 60s and 70s (what company didn't back then?) so I won't let that be the judge of it.

As for the bass...those Jags are great, right? I've seen people moan about neck dive but mine balances just fine. The wiring (don't take it personally about no reply, topics easily get missed here) is likely super easy...I know changing mine was no harder than swapping on any other guitar really - I just put the new leads where the old ones were. Worked perfectly.
I was going for separate tone and volumes, phase, series, all that crap. I was embarrassed with my attempt at wiring so after no one answered after a week I pulled it.

Neither of us knows what it was like to work for Fender, but Peavy was terrible in the 80s and that is verified. Whattaboutism!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 pm

I’m not sure a single person’s recollection of their job 40 years ago counts as verified :whistle:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Peavey does have the reputation as being less than stellar or right-on as far as their attitudes. (Which I've heard first-hand, as well, but I no longer remember the details). That said, I don't think buying something that they made years and years ago should be considered as advocating those attitudes or behavior (tangent: does anyone care about Danelectro anymore in that regard?)

I'd second (or nth) Mike's suggestion to keep both and decide after you lived with them for a year or so. Having two basses kicking around for a while is different than indefinitely, and will take the pressure off. You never know what'll end up being inspiring.

That said, I've had a couple guitars that were simply too heavy for me to use standing up, and the disappointment there is greater than any joy from how they sound.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Lifes too short for crazy heavy guitars, I'd keep the Jag

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm glad I asked as there's been some really good insight here. I think I've decided: I'll take the opportunity to get it back and spend some time with them both. That's definitely the best way to do it.

Thanks everyone.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:19 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:06 am
sal paradise wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:03 am
Why is there no “buy a 3rd bass” option?
Because I don't even really need more than 1 :D
I can make the case (and have made) for 3 bases: I have a fretless Jazz Bass, a Jazz Bass V and a Bass VI, each does their thing a little differently. I could get away with just the 5 string, but what's the fun in that?