Dark theme???

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Dark theme???

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 am

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:49 am
DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:33 am
I use Chrome on my computer and Safari or Chrome on my iPhone. Can't seem to make it work properly. I'm probably doing something wrong. Could use some help... :) :) :)
Ok, I don't have Safari or any Apple products, so let's start with your computer if that's okay with you.

Have you installed the two extensions I linked above, Dark Reader and User JavasScript and CSS? You can verify by clicking the menu then More Tools | Extensions.

If they're both installed, do you have Dark Reader enabled? You'll be able to tell by little slider on the Extensions page.
Yes. I installed them and enabled them specifically for this forum. However the background image persists. Only the posts seem to become "dark".

ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 am
luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:33 am
I use Chrome on my computer and Safari or Chrome on my iPhone. Can't seem to make it work properly. I'm probably doing something wrong. Could use some help... :) :) :)
Ok, I don't have Safari or any Apple products, so let's start with your computer if that's okay with you.

Have you installed the two extensions I linked above, Dark Reader and User JavasScript and CSS? You can verify by clicking the menu then More Tools | Extensions.

If they're both installed, do you have Dark Reader enabled? You'll be able to tell by little slider on the Extensions page.
Yes. I installed them and enabled them specifically for this forum. However the background image persists. Only the posts are "dark" if that makes sense. I also erased cached images & files.
Ok, good. We're done with the 1st extension and now need to move on to the 2nd.

There's a little button that looks like a puzzle piece on the tool bar you can click to access extensions too. Click it and click the ... next to User Javascript and CSS and then Options on the menu that pops up. Click the 'Add New Site' button. It'll give you some things to fill out and it should look like this when you've added the css and the URL of the site. ScreenShot. Then click Save and close the tab. You should be able reload offsetguitars.com without the background image showing up.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:20 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 pm
DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 am
luau wrote:

Yes. I installed them and enabled them specifically for this forum. However the background image persists. Only the posts are "dark" if that makes sense. I also erased cached images & files.
Ok, good. We're done with the 1st extension and now need to move on to the 2nd.

There's a little button that looks like a puzzle piece on the tool bar you can click to access extensions too. Click it and click the ... next to User Javascript and CSS and then Options on the menu that pops up. Click the 'Add New Site' button. It'll give you some things to fill out and it should look like this when you've added the css and the URL of the site. ScreenShot. Then click Save and close the tab. You should be able reload offsetguitars.com without the background image showing up.

Worked like a charm! Thank you. Now for my mobile with Chrome as a browser?
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:20 pm
Awesome!

Yes. There's nothing extra to install on your phone, but we have two steps. First, you have to enable dark mode, then you have to clear your browser's cached files and images (but not cookies or anything else is required).

Since I don't have a device to try this on, all I can do is provide what look like pretty good directions to me.

1. How To Turn On Chrome Dark Mode

2. How to Clear History, Cookies, and Cache
You only need to clear Cached Images & Files

Then reload the site and it should be good.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm
DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:20 pm
Awesome!

Yes. There's nothing extra to install on your phone, but we have two steps. First, you have to enable dark mode, then you have to clear your browser's cached files and images (but not cookies or anything else is required).

Since I don't have a device to try this on, all I can do is provide what look like pretty good directions to me.

1. How To Turn On Chrome Dark Mode

2. How to Clear History, Cookies, and Cache
You only need to clear Cached Images & Files

Then reload the site and it should be good.
Well, I have dark mode always on on my iPhone so step one was covered. However I did switch back to normal mode and then again to dark mode. After that I followed instructions on step 2 but the site remains with its normal appearance. :( :( :(

Could this be an iPhone thing?
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 pm
Well, I have dark mode always on on my iPhone so step one was covered. However I did switch back to normal mode and then again to dark mode. After that I followed instructions on step 2 but the site remains with its normal appearance. :( :( :(

It's entirely possible. Or maybe your device's horizontal resolution is greater than 1080px which would cause the rule not to be triggered even if the new file was retrieved from the server. What specific device do you have?

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm
DaFuzz wrote:

It's entirely possible. Or maybe your device's horizontal resolution is greater than 1080px which would cause the rule not to be triggered even if the new file was retrieved from the server. What specific device do you have?
Its an iPhone Xmax and yes, the resolution is 2688 x 1242 pixels...
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:02 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm
luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:

Its an iPhone Xmax and yes, the resolution is higher.
That'll do it. I've bumped it up to 1284 on the server. Please clear the same data and then reload again.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:14 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:02 pm
DaFuzz wrote:
luau wrote:

That'll do it. I've bumped it up to 1284 on the server. Please clear the same data and then reload again.
Unfortunately it doesn't work. Probably an iPhone thing. Maybe some other member could verify. Thank you so much for your time.
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:15 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:14 pm
luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Probably an iPhone thing. Maybe some other member could verify. Thank you so much for your time.
You're most welcome. Thanks for being a guinea pig! I hate things not working so maybe I need to increase that number further. I'm looking at IOS Resolution as a guide.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:15 pm
DaFuzz wrote:
luau wrote:

You're most welcome. Thanks for being a guinea pig! I hate things not working so maybe I need to increase that number further. I'm looking at IOS Resolution as a guide.
Hope you find a solution! The site on my computer is exactly what I had in mind before creating this thread. Would be great to have it on my mobile as well.
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:20 pm

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm
luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:

Hope you find a solution! The site on my computer is exactly what I had in mind before creating this thread.
Thanks, me too. Glad we could at least get a partial solution working for you.

edit: I've bumped it to 1600 if you want to try again.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:27 pm

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:20 pm
DaFuzz wrote:
luau wrote:

Hope you find a solution! The site on my computer is exactly what I had in mind before creating this thread.

Nope, still not working.... sorry!!!
ART IS RESISTANCE

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 am

luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:
luau wrote:

I also installed Brave and it still doesn't work... :)
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:22 am

DaFuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 am
luau wrote:
DaFuzz wrote:

I also installed Brave and it still doesn't work... :)
Can you verify the horizontal resolution of your device? Some routers do caching when they shouldn't and generally behave badly. If you confirm your device's horizontal resolution is 1600 or less, cycling your router/modem might make a difference. Or, if you haven't, you could try public wifi or your phone line, too, just to take your specific set up at home out of the mix. Apart from resolution and caching, there's no reason you should be getting fed the background image.