Dark theme???

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
luau
Admin
Admin

Re: Dark theme???

Post by luau » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 am

This took about 1 minute in Chrome. I installed the Dark Reader and User JavasScript and CSS extensions and added the CSS I posted earlier in the thread for this website with the User JavaScript and CSS extension.

edit: I'm not arguing we shouldn't provide this functionality, of course, but if it's something you want for whatever reason, you can provide it for yourself this way considerably faster than we can provide it for you. I can provide additional documentation, a video, and so on if anyone does actually want this functionality badly enough to invest a few minutes of effort to have it.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 am

I guess a fundamental question that lurks below the surface here:

Does the forum want to be more of an inclusive/evolving community that welcomes the presence of and input from under-40 players?

I think user interface is non-trivial when it comes to the shape the forum and it’s membership will take in the future.

I’ll also add that if funding is an issue, let’s talk. I’d contribute to a funding drive to improve/modernize/debug the forum experience, and I’d even tolerate a banner ad. I’m sure many others would feel the same

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 am
I’ll also add that if funding is an issue, let’s talk. I’d contribute to a funding drive to improve/modernize/debug the forum experience, and I’d even tolerate a banner ad. I’m sure many others would feel the same
From my POV, money is the easy part. There's basically nobody to do all the work being discussed but me and I'm a bit overwhelmed by my own actual job and life atm. It's not really the best time for me for another unforced existential crisis here.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 pm

luau wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
From my POV, money is the easy part. There's basically nobody to do all the work being discussed but me and I'm a bit overwhelmed by my own actual job and life atm. It's not really the best time for me for another unforced existential crisis here.
Could money help pay for hired help to assist with with any hypothetical migration and/or any other tasks that might be overwhelming you, or is it not that simple?

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:07 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 pm
luau wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Could money help pay for hired help to assist with with any hypothetical migration and/or any other tasks that might be overwhelming you, or is it not that simple?
If Jay wants to pay someone to migrate the site, that's his call. But I'm less interested in managing that than I am in doing it myself. FWIW, I'd expect it to cost thousands. Not 10s, but thousands.

This all strikes me as sort of odd. Why are you so determined about this right now?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Re-platforming and migrations are never as simple as they 'should' be. I wouldn't touch it for less than several thousand $$$ (and I love this place).
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:51 pm

luau wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 am
This took about 1 minute in Chrome. I installed the Dark Reader and User JavasScript and CSS extensions and added the CSS I posted earlier in the thread for this website with the User JavaScript and CSS extension.

edit: I'm not arguing we shouldn't provide this functionality, of course, but if it's something you want for whatever reason, you can provide it for yourself this way considerably faster than we can provide it for you. I can provide additional documentation, a video, and so on if anyone does actually want this functionality badly enough to invest a few minutes of effort to have it.
Most excellent - thanks.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:55 pm

luau wrote:

Is there any way to do this for the mobile site? (I use Brave as my browser on an iPhone.)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:59 am

Telliot wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:55 pm
luau wrote:

Is there any way to do this for the mobile site? (I use Brave as my browser on an iPhone.)
No, I'm afraid this will only work well with browsers that support extensions, and, from what I can tell anyway, chromium-based iOS/Android browsers don't. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't spent any time on my phone with this problem. Let me think about it and give it a try, there may be another way provided nobody minds if we nuke the background image for mobile browsers.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:01 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:51 pm
luau wrote:

Most excellent - thanks.
Sure thing. It's not universal, but I'm trying to find quick ways to get the basic functionality to those with bleeding eyes.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:30 am

luau wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:07 pm
If Jay wants to pay someone to migrate the site, that's his call. But I'm less interested in managing that than I am in doing it myself. FWIW, I'd expect it to cost thousands. Not 10s, but thousands.

This all strikes me as sort of odd. Why are you so determined about this right now?
I've apologized to øøøøøøø privately.

I want you all to know I value your insights, suggestions, and ideas. Even if I don't prefer them as user, the fact that they're important to you guys as users makes them important to me as an administrator. If I offer alternative ways to achieve the same basic functionality, please know it's because I'm trying to find quick ways to get the functionality to the people that want it and it has no bearing on the merit of more comprehensive solutions. It's just what I've got the mental stamina for at the moment.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:30 am
Cheers, luau. I wish I was more savvy on the tech side and could be more help in these matters. Thank you for keeping this place running as well as it does.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:59 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am
luau wrote:
Cheers, luau. I wish I was more savvy on the tech side and could be more help in these matters. Thank you for keeping this place running as well as it does.
Thanks. It's mostly on auto-pilot so the maintenance part isn't a big deal. Many thanks to you and everyone else, as well.

Anyway, good news:

I tweaked the CSS on the server to remove the background image for displays 1080px wide and smaller. So now native dark mode looks good in Brave and Chrome without any extensions. You'll have to enable dark mode in your browser if it isn't already (Brave, Chrome).

Additionally, you will have to delete cached site data to force the browser to pick up the modified css file: Settings | Brave Shields & privacy | Clear browsing data | Cached images and files. Don't delete cookies or browsing history, just cached images and files.

If anyone needs help getting this accomplished on desktop or mobile browsers, just ask.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:33 am

luau wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:59 am
Telliot wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am
luau wrote:
Thanks. It's mostly on auto-pilot so the maintenance part isn't a big deal. Many thanks to you and everyone else, as well.

Anyway, good news:

I tweaked the CSS on the server to remove the background image for displays 1080px wide and smaller. So now native dark mode looks good in Brave and Chrome without any extensions. You'll have to enable dark mode in your browser if it isn't already (Brave, Chrome).

Additionally, you will have to delete cached site data to force the browser to pick up the modified css file: Settings | Brave Shields & privacy | Clear browsing data | Cached images and files. Don't delete cookies or browsing history, just cached images and files.

If anyone needs help getting this accomplished on desktop or mobile browsers, just ask.
I use Chrome on my computer and Safari or Chrome on my iPhone. Can't seem to make it work properly. I'm probably doing something wrong. Could use some help... :) :) :)
ART IS RESISTANCE

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:49 am

DaFuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:33 am
I use Chrome on my computer and Safari or Chrome on my iPhone. Can't seem to make it work properly. I'm probably doing something wrong. Could use some help... :) :) :)
Ok, I don't have Safari or any Apple products, so let's start with your computer if that's okay with you.

Have you installed the two extensions I linked above, Dark Reader and User JavasScript and CSS? You can verify by clicking the menu then More Tools | Extensions.

If they're both installed, do you have Dark Reader enabled? You'll be able to tell by little slider on the Extensions page.