Ramones

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ramones

Post by Salfaromeab » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:25 am

Okay, so I love Mosrites. Really really love Mosrites. However that love stems from Man Or Astro-Man? and The Longboards more than anything, I'd never really listened to The Ramones at all beyond some of the big tracks. But as of late I've been really GASsing for a Ventures II model, and it's almost impossible to escape the Ramonesphere with these models and I felt myself getting pulled in, I mean they're such an iconic band, it has to be for a reason right? So I took a deep dive into their discography. Over the last 2 days I listened to every single one of their studio albums and also the It's Alive live album and delved into the history of the band.

Very pleasantly surprised. Or pleasantly unsurprised, seeing as they really had their formula and for the most part didn't deviate from it. The endless praise the first three albums get is deserved, jam after jam after jam. It gets a bit messy from there, things start getting a little hit and miss from Road To Ruin onwards, and some of these albums (I'm looking at you specifically End Of The Century) are outright bad. That said, every album of theirs has at least 1 great track (okay except maybe End Of The Century, I really didn't like it). Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Road To Ruin, Too Tough To Die, Brain Drain are all killer. I had always thought they recorded the same album like 20 times, and while that's kind of true, when they stuck to their formula it fucking worked. It's Alive is also fucking incredible, maybe now my favourite live album, it's just a non-stop barage.

But then looking into the history I started to get sad. The band that perpetually never made it, despite the odds seemingly being in their favour. Their next album was always gonna be the one that made it big. They were together for 22 years, that's nearly as long as I've been alive. They only really made it after they band was broken up and Joey was dead. They all hated each other, Johnny was an abhorrent person, they played on average a show every 3 days for two decades, they made some great music (and some horrific misses), they were in movies, but they never quite hit the big time, which was their only goal in the end.

I don't know why I made this post, I guess I have listened to far too much Ramones in 48 hours. I never really gave them much thought before. I really like them.

I still really want a Ventures II.
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ramones

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:19 am

Instagram: thetonyballs

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:35 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:19 am
This jam is everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn63t5M_rZo
So, so good

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:13 am

Yeah, I think in everyone's life there, at least of a certain age, there is a big Ramones phase but I'm not sure if it lasts all that long. I too went pretty wild for them and then a year or so later that was about the end of it.

The music hasn't gotten any worse or anything. They are still good but I can't imagine making any effort to hear any of it anymore.

I'll be interested to know how you all feel about that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:30 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:13 am
Yeah, I think in everyone's life there, at least of a certain age, there is a big Ramones phase but I'm not sure if it lasts all that long. I too went pretty wild for them and then a year or so later that was about the end of it.

The music hasn't gotten any worse or anything. They are still good but I can't imagine making any effort to hear any of it anymore.

I'll be interested to know how you all feel about that.
Sounds about par for the course for me, teenage me would have told you Sonic Youth was my all time favourite band. I still love them, but I can't say I go out of my way to hear them much anymore.

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:18 am

The Ramones are one of my favourite bands, I'd never put it together before that they were just around for 20 odd years, it seems like it should be longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_lQpnHDhQ
holodreck.bandcamp.com

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am

Also I don't know if a thread got made on it when it happened, but some footage resurfaced really recently of Sniper, Joey's pre Ramones band. Until this I don't think there were any recordings of the band at all. It's admittedly not great but maybe an interesting piece of musical history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqGF8uW3Hw
Last edited by sholkham on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
holodreck.bandcamp.com

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 am

I love Henry Rollins’ statement that there are only two kinds of people in the world. Ramones fans and soon-to-be Ramones fans. :D I think we all have about the same consensus, yes they’re very samey (I’ve admittedly only really listened to their early albums) but they were very good at what they did. And it had an energy about it and an attitude and I think that’s what gets people in.

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 am

Also..
Salfaromeab wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:30 am
Sounds about par for the course for me, teenage me would have told you Sonic Youth was my all time favourite band. I still love them, but I can't say I go out of my way to hear them much anymore.
I still LOVE sonic youth and listen to them all the time and would definitely still class them as one of my favourite bands. And I’m long past being a teenager. :D

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:53 am

sholkham wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:18 am
The Ramones are one of my favourite bands, I'd never put it together before that they were just around for 20 odd years, it seems like it should be longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_lQpnHDhQ
Seems like they go on forever. I'm only 25 so being in the same band for 22 is mental to me.
Russell1982 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 am
I love Henry Rollins’ statement that there are only two kinds of people in the world. Ramones fans and soon-to-be Ramones fans. :D I think we all have about the same consensus, yes they’re very samey (I’ve admittedly only really listened to their early albums) but they were very good at what they did. And it had an energy about it and an attitude and I think that’s what gets people in.
Russell1982 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 am
Also..
I still LOVE sonic youth and listen to them all the time and would definitely still class them as one of my favourite bands. And I’m long past being a teenager. :D
Rollins does tend to have a point, there's a lot about their music that's hard to dislike.

And I still love Sonic Youth, I just don't consume their material as voraciously as before. Spinhead Sessions and Bad Moon Rising are still fairly consistent spinners for me.

bluemonday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bluemonday » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:48 pm

I'm just impressed you did that. I always wanted to do a deep dive into a catalog of a band I knew little about, but I eventually don't have the patience to get very far. I'm thinking that the Ramones were a band that gained a lot of its reputation from their live shows. It's Alive is one of my favorite things to watch (and listen to). A classic.

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:58 am

bluemonday wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:48 pm
I'm just impressed you did that. I always wanted to do a deep dive into a catalog of a band I knew little about, but I eventually don't have the patience to get very far. I'm thinking that the Ramones were a band that gained a lot of its reputation from their live shows. It's Alive is one of my favorite things to watch (and listen to). A classic.
I think it helps that all the music is so fast haha. Just had them all on while I was at work, made the day go quicker. Not sure if my co-workers would agree though...

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:01 am

In my opinion, everyone cool must have loved the Ramones at some point in their lives. It’s kind of indoctrinating. Not a surprise that no one listens to them anymore. I LOVE them but I never listen to em.

I’m also very impressed that you took that journey - you slogged through a lot of crap after the first few records!

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:18 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:01 am
In my opinion, everyone cool must have loved the Ramones at some point in their lives. It’s kind of indoctrinating. Not a surprise that no one listens to them anymore. I LOVE them but I never listen to em.

I’m also very impressed that you took that journey - you slogged through a lot of crap after the first few records!
I find it really something that despite their music being used on ads and the like, their merch being everywhere, the fact they've not existed for 25 years and a lot of their later albums being unremarkable, they're still a 'cool' band. They must have done something right.

There was a lot of crap, but I also found a lot of gems I'd never heard before, You Sound Like You're Sick from Pleasant Dreams for example. Didn't care for the album for the most part but I adore this tune now.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:22 pm

One of the greatest bands ever......
Spider-Man theme is my favorite song....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5P8lrgBtcU