Some wacky ideas...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Some wacky ideas...

Post by copacetic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Howdy dudes and dudettes,

I got bored last night and made some very rough, very rushed mock-ups for some builds I'm planning and just wanted to share and nerd out with everyone. These are builds i will most likely end up putting together for myself in the next year or so with the help of GuitarForm (deed_poll on forums) and a few other builders/parts makers, so hopefully one day I'll be able to share something more tangible with you guys, but personally, I havent been able to get these ideas out of my mind's eye since seeing these renders, and i thought you guys would enjoy seeing as well 8)

This one was inspired by Deed_poll's forum post (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121984) sharing his design idea for a 24" scale Bass V-inspired guitar build. I wanted to see something more fleshed out to see if i really jived with the idea, and oh boy do I!!!
I used candy apple red because of the availability of images of a CAR bass V on google, but you guys know me, it'll probabaly end up some wacky pastel metallic color ;D

This one is an idea i've been kicking around for a while now.. I love competition orange mustangs and have always wanted one, but the prices have always been way too high for me to ever really consider owning one. So, i plan to build my own, although with a Copacetic twist.. 22.5" super short scale Musicmaster neck, Musicmaster bass inspired pickguard, musicmaster bridge, and of course with the requisite '69 style matching headstock!
Pretty much my dream shortscale..

also made a 24" scale mockup for those who dont get along with the shorty necks as well as my tiny hands do :D

Would love to hear thoughts/ideas/feedback! Thanks fer lookin
Last edited by copacetic on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some wacky ideas... (Bass V, Musicmaster Content)

Post by copacetic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pm

One more for you Meteora fans... another build im considering..

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat May 07, 2022 4:21 pm

copacetic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pm

Really like this a lot, out of interest could you do a render with a Jazzmaster trem?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

jasonpetzold
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jasonpetzold » Sat May 07, 2022 6:46 pm

I REALLY love that Bass V idea!

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:21 pm
copacetic wrote:

Really like this a lot, out of interest could you do a render with a Jazzmaster trem?
I can make a render later, but the shop i have lined up to make the bodies when i get around to doing a meteora (rosser guitars) says they can't do a jazzmaster trem route on these bodies for whatever reason, but they can do a mustang or strat trem. I suspect it has to do with how little space there is behind the bridge; if it was squeezed in there it would definitely be closer to the bridge than typical, and would probably have a similar feel to a classic player jazzmaster due to the location. But I'm sure someone like GuitarForm could make it happen if you were really set on the jazzmaster trem!
jasonpetzold wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:46 pm
I REALLY love that Bass V idea!
Me too, its my personal favorite of the bunch. Most credit goes to Deed_Poll (GuitarForm) for the idea, i just mocked up my little version. More than likely will end up building one for myself in the next few months... 8)

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:19 am

Okay, so i had WAY too much time on my hands this evening, and kinda got in a "flow" of working on renders and brainstorming ideas for future builds. I'm really enjoying mashing up different fender models into weird new hybrids, i feel like any one of these could have a slot in the next "parallel universe" type series from Fender. Let me know which is your favorite!

fixed/cleaned up the rough render for this Bass V/Mustang build. Planning to build one of these in collaboration with GuitarForm soon!

My version of the Powercaster, dubbed the "Deathcaster." In my opinion, Fender missed an opportunity to spec this rad body shape out with cooler hardware. I think my version makes it much more of a "real offset" while the filtertrons will allow it to beef up and do some higher gain stuff.

Probably the least weird of the bunch.. Jazzmaster with all the Jag accoutrements/plates
and a semi-hollow version...

Re-did the meteora a bit.. 3 way rotary switch and filtertrons, and gorgeous candy tangerine finish 8)

my take on an offset telecaster..
with f hole...

my take on the Jag Stang. Never vibed with the shape of these much (I know, sacrilege to all the nirvana fanboys) but this version, with a Jag trem, traditional mustang pups, jag neck w/ B&B, and of course shell pink, is now on my "to cop" list

a fun one.. mosrite ventures model / jazzmaster mashup.. dubbed the "Spellcaster"

My version of a '72 Tele Deluxe... offset trem, jag pups, 3 way rotary switch for vibes sake

Starcaster w/ offset trem/bridge, Coronado neck

Contoured jag stang "done right"

Shell pink Fenderized Firebird.. F logo where the bird goes for shits n gigs ;D

speaking of firebirds....

Is it me or do super-sonics look better with a standard right handed headstock?

Alright, off to sleep now to dream up more random wacky builds. Hopefully at least a few of these will be brought to fruition in the next few months...

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 am

copacetic wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:19 am
Okay, so i had WAY too much time on my hands this evening, and kinda got in a "flow" of working on renders and brainstorming ideas for future builds. I'm really enjoying mashing up different fender models into weird new hybrids, i feel like any one of these could have a slot in the next "parallel universe" type series from Fender. Let me know which is your favorite!

fixed/cleaned up the rough render for this Bass V/Mustang build. Planning to build one of these in collaboration with GuitarForm soon!

Starcaster w/ offset trem/bridge, Coronado neck
These 2! I have always wanted a Starcaster with a Jazzmaster trem but I dig the original headstock but much prefer the rosewood neck. The Bass V guitar is beautiful as well. There was someone on the forum that made a guitar out of a Bass VI that was quite nice as well. I love mash up guitars! You are in good hands with GuitarForm. His work is impeccable & is just the nicest guy! I may have to get a Bass V guitar to match the Bass V I had built.
We are merely moving shadows.

molul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by molul » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:25 am

copacetic wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:21 pm
copacetic wrote:

I can make a render later, but the shop i have lined up to make the bodies when i get around to doing a meteora (rosser guitars) says they can't do a jazzmaster trem route on these bodies for whatever reason, but they can do a mustang or strat trem. I suspect it has to do with how little space there is behind the bridge; if it was squeezed in there it would definitely be closer to the bridge than typical, and would probably have a similar feel to a classic player jazzmaster due to the location. But I'm sure someone like GuitarForm could make it happen if you were really set on the jazzmaster trem!

I explored the possibility of a Meteora with a JM tremolo for my next build (although I ended up switching to a strat one, a Vegatrem). It would be very near the rear end of the body. You can shorten the distance between bridge and tremolo, but the feel will be different (example J Mascis Jazzmaster).

But with a 24" scale neck you can move the bridge and vibrato away from the body's rear edge, enough so routing is safe. Also, it's better if you reduce the forearm contour a bit.

Example:

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:38 am

Still think the Meteora would be cool or even better in a reverse layout, and that would probably force a move of the neck in some direction and maybe a slight rotation of the centerline so that you had proper upper fret access. With these changes you could probably mount a JM trem at the typical distance.

Was looking at perhaps that, or then a Supersonic build idea with some leftover scraps that I have, but will probably do something completely different. Partially because I haven't been bothered to figure out the reversed design properly, and it might need a few prototypes to dial in, so currently lacking the bandwidth / energy to try to see that to fruition...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:41 am

copacetic wrote:

(...)

(...)
I think this is excellent! Looks really nice, but probably needs a few details sorted out.

My one contribution to the discussion regarding any of the models here with the rotary switch knob, I feel that it would look and work better with the narrow end always pointing towards the strings rather than in the other way around, no matter where it's placed...

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:10 pm

bodhi wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:41 am
copacetic wrote:

(...)

(...)
I think this is excellent! Looks really nice, but probably needs a few details sorted out.

My one contribution to the discussion regarding any of the models here with the rotary switch knob, I feel that it would look and work better with the narrow end always pointing towards the strings rather than in the other way around, no matter where it's placed...
Honestly these are all very crude mockups done in an outdated photo editing software with no real templates for anything. the sizing, placement etc of certain components is all very approximate and mostly just there to give an idea of the concept and what's possible. This build may very well end up being a single pickup or using a different type of switching like mustang sliders, depending on how well the rotary switch actually works/looks in practice.

I personally disagree and think pointer knobs like this look very strange when pointed towards the strings and wouldnt function as well. I base my rotary switch placement on that of the Fender XII, and from what ive seen, their pointer knobs are almost either pointed upwards to be parallel with the strings, or slightly rotated over to either side for selections. I found it works very well and comfortably this way, allowing you to sort of "flick it" down and up to switch positions, while keeping the control lower profile than a 3 way toggle. Anyways, its always something someone can swivel around in the direction of their liking if my positioning isnt their favorite!

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:08 am

copacetic wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:10 pm
bodhi wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:41 am
copacetic wrote:

(...)

(...)

Honestly these are all very crude mockups done in an outdated photo editing software with no real templates for anything. the sizing, placement etc of certain components is all very approximate and mostly just there to give an idea of the concept and what's possible. This build may very well end up being a single pickup or using a different type of switching like mustang sliders, depending on how well the rotary switch actually works/looks in practice.

I personally disagree and think pointer knobs like this look very strange when pointed towards the strings and wouldnt function as well. I base my rotary switch placement on that of the Fender XII, and from what ive seen, their pointer knobs are almost either pointed upwards to be parallel with the strings, or slightly rotated over to either side for selections. I found it works very well and comfortably this way, allowing you to sort of "flick it" down and up to switch positions, while keeping the control lower profile than a 3 way toggle. Anyways, its always something someone can swivel around in the direction of their liking if my positioning isnt their favorite!
Certainly no point in arguing opinions or aesthetics! :) I guess my actual thinking is more to point towards the bridge, rather than an arbitrary position along the strings in most cases, but to be honest I haven't actually tried a guitar with this setup yet. My only concern regarding the design if one is to try either way is to have enough space routed out for the base to be where the tips are in your sketches, since that affects how close to the strings and other controls the knob ends up being.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:55 am

Man, making renders for my wacky guitar ideas is almost as fun as building the actual guitars themselves :w00t:

Another night in the render flow coming up with ideas has produced these nifty new creations. Some are minor edits of previously posted ideas, all of them are rough, and almost all of them use parts/bodies/shapes etc designed by other people so i really cant take too much credit for these. Still, i think a lot of these are unique enough that you guys and gals would get a kick out of them! Which is your favorite?

Stangified Strat idea.. Because regular strats just bore me at this point lol

Toronado "done right" (in my humble opinion)

A weird mustang jag mashup.. basically a mus-uar on standard jag body

My version of a Bronco.. Not very "radical" but a guitar ive wanted to build forever. Makes do without the vintage trem and knobs that are so hard to find

Another weirdo Bronco idea, with a bronco bass style pickguard. (side note: any opinions on two-tone finishes like the pink/green?)

Powercaster/deathcaster XII:

Jag/bronco mashup. Pickguard is wonky but i think it works pretty well

12 string Super-sonic & its 6 string cousin with the same pups

12 string JM w/ xii pups (for fun mostly)

My version of the Jazz Tele:

Thanks for lending your eyeballs. Got a Jagstang done right and non reverse firebird/jazzmaster in the works currently. Excited to share them with ya'll in a month or two!

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some wacky ideas...

Post by rank » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm

I am really digging a lot of these! I have a request. A Super Sonic with a Jazzmaster trem. I don't dig they way it normally looks.
We are merely moving shadows.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some wacky ideas...

Post by copacetic » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:11 pm

rank wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm
I am really digging a lot of these! I have a request. A Super Sonic with a Jazzmaster trem. I don't dig they way it normally looks.

here you are! Glad you got a kick out of them!