Modern Drive And Fuzzes?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modern Drive And Fuzzes?

Post by bubba899 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:02 am

Second the Carcosa for modern fuzz sounds, incredibly versatile. Magnetic Effects White Atom is another that fits a similar bill.

I love the Stone Deaf PDF 2. Primarily an eq boost but has a great distortion sound in it too. Also think the Fender pugilist is a really good distortion with some great features, blending gain stages gets some really nice sounds.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm

bubba899 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:02 am
Second the Carcosa for modern fuzz sounds, incredibly versatile. Magnetic Effects White Atom is another that fits a similar bill.
The White Atom is excellent. Great almost distortion-like definition on chords and proper fuzzy fuzz on individual notes on the same settings.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 am
Fairfield Circuitry makes some interesting dirt boxes. Some are built on JFET components, but not sure if they all are.

The Barbershop is a great overdrive. Musical and versatile. There’s an always on version if you like to ride your volume knob.
Very curious about this pedal. How many versions are there? I have a chance to buy a "Millennium" version. Is this just version 2? I've googled it but not finding anything definitive. It has a toggle at the top and "OD3" printed beside the footswitch. I thought that might make it a Version 3 but now I don't think there is a V3...

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Fri May 13, 2022 12:34 pm

CIJ wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fairfield Circuitry makes some interesting dirt boxes. Some are built on JFET components, but not sure if they all are.

The Barbershop is a great overdrive. Musical and versatile. There’s an always on version if you like to ride your volume knob.
Very curious about this pedal. How many versions are there? I have a chance to buy a "Millennium" version. Is this just version 2? I've googled it but not finding anything definitive. It has a toggle at the top and "OD3" printed beside the footswitch. I thought that might make it a Version 3 but now I don't think there is a V3...
Another vote for the Fairfield Barbershop, I love mine. In fact I was just singing its praises to Jonesie in the Setup of the Day thread... (see below for my commentary)
Works great! I use it for sort of Zuma-era Neil Young type tones on lead breaks and it does the trick. The Barbershop is pretty versatile, as the Sag knob can take it from tweedy crunch on to the far left (CCW), to loud and transparent clean boost when pushed fully CW. Best to think of the Sag knob as a voltage knob, left is starved and browner sounding, right is cleaner and tighter, so that function really defines the character of the pedal. Adjust Drive to taste from there. The Volume and Sag are interactive, so if the volume is a bit low with the Sag turned CCW, turn up the volume and you'll get some crunch back. I'm not a high gain guy and it's got plenty of juice for my purposes.
On the fuzz side of things, I'm also really digging the Blammo Perkolator, which is, you guessed it, a Harmonic Percolator clone. Sounds incredible in front of a low wattage amp. I use a volume pedal at the front of my chain to regulate how crazy it gets (have it set pretty loud, but with not much gain/fuzz/harmonics)

https://www.blammoelectronics.com/produ ... perkolator

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 13, 2022 5:25 pm

CIJ wrote:
fuzzjunkie wrote:

There are a few versions but I don’t think the OD3 next to the switch means anything. There are Millenniums with OD1 and OD2.
Version 1 was the original Barbershop in a big horizontal box and no tone toggle switch.
Version 2 is the Millennium is in a classic (MXR) sized vertical box with a tone toggle and supposedly more gain.
Version 3 is the Model B in a horizontal smaller than classic sized box that’s always on. No foot switch and no tone toggle.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat May 14, 2022 3:48 am

I think the Benson Germanium Fuzz fits this bill. It is a fuzz with a built in temperature regulator that is designed to play well with other pedals no matter where you put it in the chain as I’m told germanium fuzzes can be picky with where they go. It’s a good sounding pedal that goes from light OD tones to a nice fuzz. It doesn’t get super heavy, although it covers most of the gain I would need.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Sat May 14, 2022 5:23 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:25 pm
CIJ wrote:
fuzzjunkie wrote:

There are a few versions but I don’t think the OD3 next to the switch means anything. There are Millenniums with OD1 and OD2.
Version 1 was the original Barbershop in a big horizontal box and no tone toggle switch.
Version 2 is the Millennium is in a classic (MXR) sized vertical box with a tone toggle and supposedly more gain.
Version 3 is the Model B in a horizontal smaller than classic sized box that’s always on. No foot switch and no tone toggle.
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I might move on it.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Sat May 14, 2022 10:40 am

In the vein of the Carcosa, I can definitely recommend the Spiral Effects “Black Spiral”. I’ve got one of the pre-Spiral branding Black Roses (no difference, just a name change). Very interactive Gain, Detail, Bias knobs, interesting clipping options. Apparently the Carcosa is a simplified version of this circuit, which is based on the FZ-1S version of the FuzzRite.

Vintage roots, but very modern sounding to me anyhow.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 14, 2022 12:24 pm

CIJ wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm
bubba899 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:02 am
The White Atom is excellent. Great almost distortion-like definition on chords and proper fuzzy fuzz on individual notes on the same settings.
More love for the White Atom from me too. Happy after a buffer, good cleanup, huge range of useful sounds.

Holds up in a live mix pretty well too. The only reason I haven’t switched it out on the board is a Rat is just a little better in this category.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Wed May 18, 2022 3:09 am

Chase Bliss Brothers.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed May 18, 2022 9:30 am

i'm a big fan of the keeley fuzz bender, at first i hated it as I am not used to it's sounds but the thing is it's own beast and grew on me pretty quickly. The spittiness it can produce is seriously wild.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.