VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Bringing your older offset back to life.
User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 am

Hi all!
Wondering if somebody could drop an ultrasonic pickguard template and some material recommendations or links to find a good pickguard material for an ultrasonic in need. I haven't got any to compare the colour so it would be great if someone could point me towards the right material sheets and template to cut it.

Oh, I might also look into some cover for the back pad, the small one that is meant to be placed behind the back pad. I'm missing that one too. So a template, dimensions or material tips would be great to have.

Thanks in advance gang!
:derp:

User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17145
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat May 07, 2022 3:15 am

blackradar wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 am

Oh, I might also look into some cover for the back pad, the small one that is meant to be placed behind the back pad. I'm missing that one too. So a template, dimensions or material tips would be great to have.
I'd need that one too :blush:
Well actually both.
Lemme know if you get any luck.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 am

blackradar wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 am
Hi all!
Wondering if somebody could drop an ultrasonic pickguard template and some material recommendations or links to find a good pickguard material for an ultrasonic in need. I haven't got any to compare the colour so it would be great if someone could point me towards the right material sheets and template to cut it.

Oh, I might also look into some cover for the back pad, the small one that is meant to be placed behind the back pad. I'm missing that one too. So a template, dimensions or material tips would be great to have.

Thanks in advance gang!
:derp:
Here's the plastic cover...

Image

It has a diameter of 163mm with a foldable groove running across 44mm from the edge that gives you access to the battery.

These are the screws...

Image

Typically "vintage" and probably not all that easy to source but you'll be able to find modern replacements easily.



I got a couple of repro guards cut using some old Italian acrylic I found on eBay. A bit of a lucky one-off...

Image

Even though it lets loads of light through & has pretty ugly swirls it really looks the part when it's mounted...

Image

Deedpoll, a member of this forum, cut the guards & planed the 5mm thickness down to 3mm. The curved edge is also rounded over, rather than having a Fender-style flat bevel. We agreed to keep the finish dull & I buffed them up to a decent shine using rubbing compound. All those swirly scratches actually made the guard look older. It's as accurate as I could get it, based on pictures I'd seen online.

Image

You'll want to search for "dark red acrylic" - "translucent" - "tortoiseshell" - that sort of thing.

A lot of the pickguard material out there is either too translucent, too light or too brown so good luck with your search.
This stuff looks pretty decent but appears to be sold out. Maybe there's another manufacturer selling similar stuff?

I'll get you a PDF of the pick guard template as soon as I can.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by RobDux » Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 am

Going with the material Porky used on theirs this looks pretty close to me although the backlit picture of it looks awful.
https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/jeweller ... x3mm-p5127
Apparently it's discontinued as well but they do still have stock for the time being at least.

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 08, 2022 8:34 am

RobDux wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 am
Going with the material Porky used on theirs this looks pretty close to me although the backlit picture of it looks awful.
https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/jeweller ... x3mm-p5127
Apparently it's discontinued as well but they do still have stock for the time being at least.
I just saw that too. Agreed, that's a little closer to mine.

Blackradar, is your Ultrasonic sunburst or cherry red?



....and good to see a fellow Leeds lad on't forum ;)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Mon May 09, 2022 10:59 am

RobDux wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 am
Going with the material Porky used on theirs this looks pretty close to me although the backlit picture of it looks awful.
https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/jeweller ... x3mm-p5127
Apparently it's discontinued as well but they do still have stock for the time being at least.
Alright. Do you think one sheet is enough to get 2 out of it? Or would I need 2? One for each?

Thanks!

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 am
blackradar wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 am
Hi all!
Wondering if somebody could drop an ultrasonic pickguard template and some material recommendations or links to find a good pickguard material for an ultrasonic in need. I haven't got any to compare the colour so it would be great if someone could point me towards the right material sheets and template to cut it.

Oh, I might also look into some cover for the back pad, the small one that is meant to be placed behind the back pad. I'm missing that one too. So a template, dimensions or material tips would be great to have.

Thanks in advance gang!
:derp:
Here's the plastic cover...

Image

It has a diameter of 163mm with a foldable groove running across 44mm from the edge that gives you access to the battery.

These are the screws...

Image

Typically "vintage" and probably not all that easy to source but you'll be able to find modern replacements easily.



I got a couple of repro guards cut using some old Italian acrylic I found on eBay. A bit of a lucky one-off...

Image

Even though it lets loads of light through & has pretty ugly swirls it really looks the part when it's mounted...

Image

Deedpoll, a member of this forum, cut the guards & planed the 5mm thickness down to 3mm. The curved edge is also rounded over, rather than having a Fender-style flat bevel. We agreed to keep the finish dull & I buffed them up to a decent shine using rubbing compound. All those swirly scratches actually made the guard look older. It's as accurate as I could get it, based on pictures I'd seen online.

Image

You'll want to search for "dark red acrylic" - "translucent" - "tortoiseshell" - that sort of thing.

A lot of the pickguard material out there is either too translucent, too light or too brown so good luck with your search.
This stuff looks pretty decent but appears to be sold out. Maybe there's another manufacturer selling similar stuff?

I'll get you a PDF of the pick guard template as soon as I can.

That's great, thanks. Looking froward to getting your template. Thanks!

What do you think about the https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/jeweller ... x3mm-p5127 suggestion? Would that get your blessing? Do you think that's close enough?

And how did Deedpoll cut it? Is it something that can be done at home? Or would I need professional tools? I mean for the rounded edges.

Thanks very much for your help!!!
Last edited by blackradar on Mon May 09, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 am

Oh, what about pickup surroundings? Same look and measurements.
Do you know where to get something similar?

Thanks.

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon May 09, 2022 1:20 pm

blackradar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 am
Oh, what about pickup surroundings? Same look and measurements.
Do you know where to get something similar?

Thanks.
I wouldn't know where to get replacement surrounds.

So, how much stuff is missing from your Ultrasonic and is it cherry red or sunburst?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Mon May 09, 2022 1:31 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:20 pm
[quote=blackradar post_id=<a href="tel:1724966">1724966</a> time=<a href="tel:1652123152">1652123152</a> user_id=30973]
Oh, what about pickup surroundings? Same look and measurements.
Do you know where to get something similar?

Thanks.
I wouldn't know where to get replacement surrounds.

So, how much stuff is missing from your Ultrasonic and is it cherry red or sunburst?
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.
Sunburst. Quite a few things missing unfortunately... so trying to find some parts here and there.

Would the colour make any difference in regards to the pickguard colour or template?

Thanks!

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 pm

blackradar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:31 pm
Would the colour make any difference in regards to the pickguard colour or template?

Thanks!
My only concern is that the Rothko & Frost pickguard material will probably appear much lighter with the yellow background of a sunburst body.

There are examples of lighter guards, like this Aristocrat (which actually looks great!)...

Image

...but it really highlights the difference in appearance of the "swirls".
Maybe no big deal for you but I'd wait for something more suitable to show up.

Also, do you have the little mounting bracket that attaches to the side of the body?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon May 09, 2022 11:13 pm

Are you US-based?

StewMac also sell stuff that's in a similar ballpark but maybe a little darker than the Rothko stuff.

....or there's this. Never seen it before.

...and another thing to consider is just buying some translucent acrylic, dark red but without a pattern, and adding texture to the back. Quite an experimental way of doing it so I guess it all depends how creative you're feeling.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Tue May 10, 2022 4:50 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:13 pm
Are you US-based?

StewMac also sell stuff that's in a similar ballpark but maybe a little darker than the Rothko stuff.

....or there's this. Never seen it before.

...and another thing to consider is just buying some translucent acrylic, dark red but without a pattern, and adding texture to the back. Quite an experimental way of doing it so I guess it all depends how creative you're feeling.
Hi,
Nope, I'm based in the UK.
The stewmac one is just 0,64mm thin. I think 3mm feels more like it as you said. How thick is the original? Do you know?

Thanks!

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by blackradar » Fri May 13, 2022 4:48 am

blackradar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 am
blackradar wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 am
Hi all!
Wondering if somebody could drop an ultrasonic pickguard template and some material recommendations or links to find a good pickguard material for an ultrasonic in need. I haven't got any to compare the colour so it would be great if someone could point me towards the right material sheets and template to cut it.

Oh, I might also look into some cover for the back pad, the small one that is meant to be placed behind the back pad. I'm missing that one too. So a template, dimensions or material tips would be great to have.

Thanks in advance gang!
:derp:
Here's the plastic cover...

Image

It has a diameter of 163mm with a foldable groove running across 44mm from the edge that gives you access to the battery.

These are the screws...

Image

Typically "vintage" and probably not all that easy to source but you'll be able to find modern replacements easily.



I got a couple of repro guards cut using some old Italian acrylic I found on eBay. A bit of a lucky one-off...

Image

Even though it lets loads of light through & has pretty ugly swirls it really looks the part when it's mounted...

Image

Deedpoll, a member of this forum, cut the guards & planed the 5mm thickness down to 3mm. The curved edge is also rounded over, rather than having a Fender-style flat bevel. We agreed to keep the finish dull & I buffed them up to a decent shine using rubbing compound. All those swirly scratches actually made the guard look older. It's as accurate as I could get it, based on pictures I'd seen online.

Image

You'll want to search for "dark red acrylic" - "translucent" - "tortoiseshell" - that sort of thing.

A lot of the pickguard material out there is either too translucent, too light or too brown so good luck with your search.
This stuff looks pretty decent but appears to be sold out. Maybe there's another manufacturer selling similar stuff?

I'll get you a PDF of the pick guard template as soon as I can.

That's great, thanks. Looking froward to getting your template. Thanks!

What do you think about the https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/jeweller ... x3mm-p5127 suggestion? Would that get your blessing? Do you think that's close enough?

And how did Deedpoll cut it? Is it something that can be done at home? Or would I need professional tools? I mean for the rounded edges.

Thanks very much for your help!!!
Any luck with that pdf? ;)

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23830
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: VOX Ultrasonic Pickguard Template

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri May 13, 2022 12:10 pm

Deedpoll has a CNC machine so cutting the guard's a doddle. He also has a planer that took my 5mm material down to 3mm.

If you're OK to PM me an email address I'll send you the PDF for the pickguard :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Post Reply