Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:48 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:42 am
My impression is that every time Fender bought out another brand, that brand became better (better QC, etc.) so hopefully this is a continuation of that trend.
There certainly are some mixed experiences with Fender and the brands that they've bought, overall, though, they are a fairly conservative company and haven't made an awful lot of mistakes is what I seem to see.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Looking at this from another angle, what if this is also them consolidating sourcing and improving supply chain efficiencies? We're seeing massive demand and crunch on offshore suppliers, more scale usually means more leverage with parts/component suppliers to get what they need.

Not to mention the other bundling opportunities here with new amp/guitar sales (look at what they've done with lessons). Sell someone a guitar, then some lessons, and oh well, shit now they're writing songs, better sell them something to record with! Makes sense from an end-to-end perspective.

So anyway, this seems like a sensible way to improve upstream manufacturing synergies (i.e. improve margin, reduce cost) and improve customer life time value (more revenue via lessons, recording packages, gear beyond just the initial purchase).

Just some thoughts.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm

I really like PreSonus, basically. Their gear is very good, and studio one is a great DAW. My favorite by far.

Here's the thing, though: up until now, they've had a real bad attitude toward Windows users. This took the form of windows drivers being reliably terrible. I was about to sell my presonus interface because of this, and then they actually fixed the driver, after like 5 years of updates that didn't actually improve anything. I'd gone back and forth with customer service up to that point, and their response to me was ultimately "if you want it to work right, get a Mac".

Which is bullshit of the highest order. If you don't want to support windows, fucking don't, and don't waste everyone's time. So, hopefully their new Fender overlords will crush whatever remains of that shitty attitude.
This is an excellent rectangle

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:03 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm
I really like PreSonus, basically. Their gear is very good, and studio one is a great DAW. My favorite by far.

Here's the thing, though: up until now, they've had a real bad attitude toward Windows users. This took the form of windows drivers being reliably terrible. I was about to sell my presonus interface because of this, and then they actually fixed the driver, after like 5 years of updates that didn't actually improve anything. I'd gone back and forth with customer service up to that point, and their response to me was ultimately "if you want it to work right, get a Mac".

Which is bullshit of the highest order. If you don't want to support windows, fucking don't, and don't waste everyone's time. So, hopefully their new Fender overlords will crush whatever remains of that shitty attitude.
I thought they had finally fixed that one with version 4 and 64bit OS No?

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Hopefully they also respond better to some user requests, like mono cue mixes. It’s conceivable that someone might want more than 4, or even only 3, if you are using a headphone amp, from a 8 channel interface.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:56 pm

fisonic wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:03 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm

I thought they had finally fixed that one with version 4 and 64bit OS No?
I dunno. All I know is that it took them until 2015 to release a working driver, and prior to that, they repeatedly told me to go fuck my hat.

Maybe "up until now" isn't actually accurate for me to say. But I they sure weren't helpful. Here's hoping that new management means that won't happen at all moving forward.
This is an excellent rectangle

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:58 am

Hopefully Blackmagic Design buys AVID.. that would be cool.. (AVID already uses AVID branded BMD video capture playback devices)