Fender buys Presonus

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
User avatar
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Oort Cloud

Fender buys Presonus

Post by burpgun » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:41 am

Hey all. Fender appears to have bought Presonus. Curios how this will play out, as it appears a growing number of folks like Studio One. Then there’s the whole audio hardware line.

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-acquire ... musicians/

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17053
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 am

Probably a good fit. Presonus is strong prosumer grade stuff, I doubt Fender does anything to ruin that. I'm also not completely sure what Fender really gets from this, the products Presonus makes are already as compatible with Fender products as they can be, or so you'd imagine. I'm prepared to be blown away, I guess.

Studio One is very good.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:12 am

Seems like a good fit to me too.

User avatar
thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by thisisnickpaige » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:17 am

Amps with built in (quality) audio interfaces?! :w00t:
Jesus

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17053
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 am

thisisnickpaige wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:17 am
Amps with built in (quality) audio interfaces?! :w00t:
There you go! That's actually a good idea, or at least some kind of rudimentary recording interface that could be exported directly to Studio One might be cool.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by BeeTL » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:28 am

I think this is (potentially) a really big deal for Fender. I will be curious to see how the Presonus tech makes its was across the Fender universe and vice-versa. Having Fender-branded amp models and guitar profiles in the Presonus software seems like a no-brainer.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Oort Cloud

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by burpgun » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 am
thisisnickpaige wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:17 am
Amps with built in (quality) audio interfaces?! :w00t:
There you go! That's actually a good idea, or at least some kind of rudimentary recording interface that could be exported directly to Studio One might be cool.
Fwiw Fender digital amps like the Mustangs could at one point output their sound via USB right into whatever recording setup you had. I can’t remember if that relied on Fuse, which was cool but never made the jump to 64bit and therefore became obsolete for many. It wasn’t a perfect process, whatever real world sound you got from the amp wasn’t super close to the digital output, but it was at least an option.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17053
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:06 am

burpgun wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 am


Fwiw Fender digital amps like the Mustangs could at one point output their sound via USB right into whatever recording setup you had. I can’t remember if that relied on Fuse, which was cool but never made the jump to 64bit and therefore became obsolete for many. It wasn’t a perfect process, whatever real world sound you got from the amp wasn’t super close to the digital output, but it was at least an option.
I guess that's the issue sometimes. Your amp always works the same way, your microphone does also, but the other technology comes and goes, doesn't it?

I doubt Fender buying Presonus changes much about that. Honestly it's not really clear to me what Fender is doing buying this company, I just don't see how ownership is going to translate into anything that the companies simply existing as they had been would have.

Maybe it has something to do with those miserable Acoustasonic things.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5089
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 am
I'm also not completely sure what Fender really gets from this,
If I were to hazard a guess, it seems like a pretty smart hedge against a future in which demand for guitars begins contracting somewhat.

The guitar is still important to popular music, but not really in the same way as 25 years ago.

My nephew is obsessed with FL Studio and beat making the same way I was obsessed with guitar. He actually plays a little guitar, but only in the context of his beats. He has a MIM Tele and that’s likely to be all he ever wants or needs.

I’d imagine that’s gonna be pretty typical for many aspiring Gen Z musicians.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17053
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:39 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 am
I'm also not completely sure what Fender really gets from this,
If I were to hazard a guess, it seems like a pretty smart hedge against a future in which demand for guitars begins contracting somewhat.

The guitar is still important to popular music, but not really in the same way as 25 years ago.

My nephew is obsessed with FL Studio and beat making the same way I was obsessed with guitar. He actually plays a little guitar, but only in the context of his beats. He has a MIM Tele and that’s likely to be all he ever wants or needs.

I’d imagine that’s gonna be pretty typical for many aspiring Gen Z musicians.
Yeah, who knows. Even that seems a little odd to me to think of a company watching their flagship product contract and hedging their future based on other technology that they've bought, so I imagine that Fender genuinely does see a way in which Presonus and their products strengthen the core Fender line of products.

And while I don't quite see how that works, I'm sure it's crystal clear to Fender, who obviously have done a lot of research and devised a lot of long term planning before they dropped this kind of money.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:46 pm

It was my first thought about all this and reminds me of that thing some one here said once "Fenders biggest competitor is second hand Fender". But can also see that drying up in these trying times. I still use Presonus for my daily audio interfaces for my main computers that I use for movies and series etc because the old one I have has a DSP with EQ and Compression which is vital when trying to watch stuff without massive dynamic blasts annoying others in the house. The fact that so many interfaces (at least the smaller ones) don't have DSP anymore annoys the crap out of me. Cheaped out because too many people don't value such things? I don't know the reasons for sure but it still annoys me. I ended up jumping ship from Presnous a few years ago and trying Focusrite but I didn't like them as much as Presonus but Presonus always felt and looked so home user, but in hindsight they're in the same class as Presonus as far as sound goes, at least gen 2. Just wish I could afford Apollo already. Anyway I'll still use my old Presonus interfaces for their DSP capabilities. I don't see them ever bringing DSP back to their smaller units tho which bums me out, not enough people care about that?
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6497
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:21 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:39 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 am
I'm also not completely sure what Fender really gets from this,
If I were to hazard a guess, it seems like a pretty smart hedge against a future in which demand for guitars begins contracting somewhat.

The guitar is still important to popular music, but not really in the same way as 25 years ago.

My nephew is obsessed with FL Studio and beat making the same way I was obsessed with guitar. He actually plays a little guitar, but only in the context of his beats. He has a MIM Tele and that’s likely to be all he ever wants or needs.

I’d imagine that’s gonna be pretty typical for many aspiring Gen Z musicians.
Yeah, who knows. Even that seems a little odd to me to think of a company watching their flagship product contract and hedging their future based on other technology that they've bought, so I imagine that Fender genuinely does see a way in which Presonus and their products strengthen the core Fender line of products.

And while I don't quite see how that works, I'm sure it's crystal clear to Fender, who obviously have done a lot of research and devised a lot of long term planning before they dropped this kind of money.
Maybe Fender will market a "bass synth controller" that essentially resembles a bass guitar, maybe even doubles as one.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7479
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by mbene085 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:17 am

I adore Studio One. Fender seems like one of the few giant corporate overlords who might not destroy something like that. Hope I'm right!

User avatar
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 am
Location: Australia

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by Futuron » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 am

Will they do a 'Gibson'?

User avatar
mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 am

Re: Fender buys Presonus

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:42 am

My impression is that every time Fender bought out another brand, that brand became better (better QC, etc.) so hopefully this is a continuation of that trend.

Post Reply