Anyone do pickguard tracing to make a new pickguard?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone do pickguard tracing to make a new pickguard?

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:01 am

I need a pickguard traced and another color made for a second Fender XII project. Pickguardian has been contacted and not replied in quite some time - is he even still around?

Is there any option that will trace and make a new pickguard?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone do pickguard tracing to make a new pickguard?

Post by rank » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:11 pm

PM'd
We are merely moving shadows.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:51 am

I have a pickguard for the Fender Alternate Reality 12, but haven't made a template from it yet.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Sorry, I need to clarify: This is a partscaster Fender XII. So I need to trace this specific pickguard. The alternate reality ones wouldn't work.

So I'm still on the hunt if anyone knows any body.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:14 am

I still don't quite know what you need. Do you need a pickguard? If so, why are you asking for a tracing? That's the part that you would normally do, then send the tracing to a pickguard maker. Are you going to cut your own and want a tracing sent to you?

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:58 am

If you want to get involved with making your own copy, there are router bits that have little ball-bearing wheels on them for tracing, trimming, and copying things. I've done it many times. You have to have a router and a router table or a broad board that the router can be screwed onto with the bit coming up through. You need to screw the pattern to the new material, which is not a problem because you have screw holes on the pattern and they are easy to copy. You need to space the two pieces a little so all the parts of the bit are where they should be.

If you get some things into your hand and brain this out you can do this, unless you're a musician that can't do anything else but musician, which is fine, you have a role and you know what it is, which is better than a lot of people.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 am

As the title says, I need this specific pickguard traced. (which was a custom made pickguard for a custom made Fender XII - this is unlike any other pickguard, and thus totally unique).
With that tracing, I'm hoping there is someone who can make pickguards (white, mint) with the tracing. I would imagine someone who can do the tracing is in the same business of making pickguards.

Pickguardian, who used to do this (trace a pickguard and create any color) seems to be defunct. I am out of options and wondering if there is someone else who can trace a pickguard to make a new color.

Sorry for the confusion...

TLDR: I need my specific pickguard traced and a new one made in different colors.
Last edited by N0_Camping4U on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am

Do you have a picture of the pickguard? I am winding how different it is from a regular XII.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 pm

rank wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am
Do you have a picture of the pickguard? I am winding how different it is from a regular XII.
I have two different Fender XII partscasters. A guy on here (no longer in the game) made it. I picked up this Fender partscaster and the pickguards don't align. Not even close. If you really insist I'm some how incorrect, I would be happy to unscrew them and lay them atop of each other and show you. Not quite sure what that would accomplish, but I can do it for you.

I did lay a Fender alternate reality 12 string atop, and all 3 were not aligned. I wasn't there when this partscaster was assembled/built. I don't know how or why they do not align - but they don't. My only option is to have this unique guard traced so it's a for sure fit. I may end up selling it one day since who needs two 12's ;) but I still want another guard other than modern day tort. Huh. Good idea. Maybe I can ask Spitfire......

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 pm
rank wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am
Do you have a picture of the pickguard? I am wondering how different it is from a regular XII.
If you really insist I'm some how incorrect, I would be happy to unscrew them and lay them atop of each other and show you. Not quite sure what that would accomplish, but I can do it for you.
I am not saying you're incorrect at all. I was simply trying to get a better understanding of how they were different in case I could help. What colors are you wanting?

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:01 pm

"Make a tracing" or "trace a pickguard" does not mean "make a pickguard".
Until your most recent post I couldn't figure out if you had a pickguard that you needed a duplicate of, or wanted someone else to trace their pickguard.
If you have the pickguard and need a copy, some makers will ask YOU for a tracing. Personally, I rarely get a tracing from a customer that is accurate enough to make a good template from. so I always ask for the pickguard.
Tracing an existing pickguard is one method of duplicating the outline and holes on a sheet of pickguard material, or template material, scanning the pickguard to a computer file that can be used to cut another pickguard or template is another, and I the method I employ is simply to use the physical pickguard as a template for cutting the working template, or pickguard directly.
Aside from getting someone here to make your pickguard, you could trace or photocopy your pickguard and send that to WD Music and ask them if it matches their template. If it does, they can cut one easily. If it doesn't, I don't know what they charge to template from a copy or tracing.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm

WD will custom-cut from a tracing, but you have to do that yourself and mail it in to them.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:23 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:01 pm
"Make a tracing" or "trace a pickguard" does not mean "make a pickguard".
Until your most recent post I couldn't figure out if you had a pickguard that you needed a duplicate of, or wanted someone else to trace their pickguard.
If you have the pickguard and need a copy, some makers will ask YOU for a tracing. Personally, I rarely get a tracing from a customer that is accurate enough to make a good template from. so I always ask for the pickguard.
Tracing an existing pickguard is one method of duplicating the outline and holes on a sheet of pickguard material, or template material, scanning the pickguard to a computer file that can be used to cut another pickguard or template is another, and I the method I employ is simply to use the physical pickguard as a template for cutting the working template, or pickguard directly.
Aside from getting someone here to make your pickguard, you could trace or photocopy your pickguard and send that to WD Music and ask them if it matches their template. If it does, they can cut one easily. If it doesn't, I don't know what they charge to template from a copy or tracing.

I see your point. I assumed the title was clear. trace a pickguard to make a new one. It appears it was not clear. Sorry for confusion. I have found someone who is tracing the pickguard and making a new one. Thanks for the help.