Everyone needs a stompbox.
fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DMM longer delay options?

Post by fever606 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 am
If that pedal looked better I'd be pretty intrigued, but that design doesn't float my particular aesthetical boat.
You put that much more politely than I think I would have... :ph34r:

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:34 am

fever606 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 am
Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 am
If that pedal looked better I'd be pretty intrigued, but that design doesn't float my particular aesthetical boat.
You put that much more politely than I think I would have... :ph34r:
Its another Xvive thing, howard davis, all the same knobs. Checked some demos and they may have nailed it, especially if compared with the Memory Analogue or Echoman, but thats expected at the price increase and i am not going there.

Yes 90s young adult steampunk paperback is odd choice

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am

At least it's not leftover hippie shit or JHS graphic fuckery.

Most pedals are ugly, but who gives a shit, you're supposed to listen to them, not stare into their visual majesty.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:57 pm

Don’t tell the shoegazers and trainspotters…

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Those Vox pedals like the Deca are the only ones i recall making me think twice about buying due to looks....but i will sure comment on bad graphic design that appears to have gone to great effort. Maybe we can start an "underrated because ugly" thread.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:55 am

jorri wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:16 pm
Those Vox pedals like the Deca are the only ones i recall making me think twice about buying due to looks....but i will sure comment on bad graphic design that appears to have gone to great effort. Maybe we can start an "underrated because ugly" thread.
Wow, that ~is~ ugly!

I think this is the prettiest pedal I've ever owned:

Wish I still had it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm

My pedal board is definately not pretty. Brutalism might be a theme 😆

Next award might be those Source Audio Soundblox pedals! Straight out the toybox (blox? Like if you cant afford lego, maybe mum gets Blox) too but considered the envelope filter for a while.

Maybe now the best paintjob is the DOD rubberneck which arrived today. I like it quite a bit. A lot of options to calibrate it with that gain/tone knob but placing it somewhere it gives compression not distortion is cool. Sometimes the mod is a bit odd...harmonic-tremolo-like and a triangle/squarer sounding wave and not using delay time modulation, and maybe a little less magic than DMM but was trying out gain/tone to get closer. The dmm had some more 'reverberent' ambience to its slapback and more compression feel to its decay (because does it not contain a compander?)
Change almost any knob and repeats and level need to be reset for example, so not the best to freely dial in and a lot of exploration room.
Base tone even reminded my of a PT chip digital delay sometimes (dr j shadow echo) in a sense was less analogue-sound and can barely make it "ring mod distort" unless on 1sec or so unlike the others that do this after 400ms.

But yet i am settling on this, at least better than Teisco or Xvive and not much less tone than the DMM.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Good news, everyone!

I got my bamboo Belle Epoch back!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:11 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:55 am
jorri wrote:
Wow, that ~is~ ugly!

I don't know what it is about Vox but they've fucked up several pedals with bad graphics over the years.
Check out their Cooltron series. That same, weirdly placed Germanic font is used throughout, accompanied by truly awful clip-art style imagery. That's not saying the pedals are complete shit though. I absolutely love my VibraVox.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:44 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:11 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:55 am
jorri wrote:
Wow, that ~is~ ugly!

I don't know what it is about Vox but they've fucked up several pedals with bad graphics over the years.
Check out their Cooltron series. That same, weirdly placed Germanic font is used throughout, accompanied by truly awful clip-art style imagery. That's not saying the pedals are complete shit though. I absolutely love my VibraVox.
I had a vibravox and their compressor, cooltron series. Not quite as bad (mirror chrome/shape but still bad type/graphics) and they were huge, and those two effects i am not that into really (plus it wasnt really a vibrato (pitch lfo) pedal, comp was more experimental than the common simple sustain pedal)so i sold but they did it very well especially at their 'reduced because ugly'. The other is a delaylab which looked ok, kind of- again, huge like a lunchbox or 70s fridge.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am

Most pedals are ugly, but who gives a shit, you're supposed to listen to them, not stare into their visual majesty.
I agree with JHS and hippie shit, but to answer your second point, ME. I give a shit. I want all my pedals, amps, and guitars to look cool-- and for someone with your sense of gear aesthetics, I suspect you do too, or at least more than you're willing to admit. ;) We are in a golden age of pedals where we have dozens of choices for just about any classic effect, and even if you don't like a pedal there are now people out there that can rehouse the pedal for you(!) Some builders are in lock step with my tastes, but most are not, and I'm 100% fine with that. The more ugly pedals out there, the less GAS I have for stuff I don't need. :jacked:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 am
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am

I agree with JHS and hippie shit, but to answer your second point, ME. I give a shit. I want all my pedals, amps, and guitars to look cool-- and for someone with your sense of gear aesthetics, I suspect you do too, or at least more than you're willing to admit. ;) We are in a golden age of pedals where we have dozens of choices for just about any classic effect, and even if you don't like a pedal there are now people out there that can rehouse the pedal for you(!) Some builders are in lock step with my tastes, but most are not, and I'm 100% fine with that. The more ugly pedals out there, the less GAS I have for stuff I don't need. :jacked:
Oh, most of my pedals are good-looking; see bamboo Belle Epoch, for example. But, most of my DOD pedals are kind of ugly, but they make some of my favorite sounds, so, uh, that?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:30 pm

The Rubberneck sure stands out from uglier DOD pedals. Its purely typography though, like most my pedals really. The DBA apocalypse or hudson Broadcast look reasonable in that respect too but they dont catch the eye, nor the hologram that looks like it belongs in a dated power plant control panel but that does have flashy colour lights. Functionalist/brutalist, grey is the colour and if not, then its minimalist graphic design modernism. In contrast to my brief run of building pedals that were aesthetically minded- no those mostly had pictures of actual brutalist architecture on. Somehow everything not grey is blue or turquoise.
So: understated, i decided i dont like pictoral graphics at all. Again, this is all accidental and it wouldnt stop me buying a polara with its " dats trippy street art, bruv" desig.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Well here you go: https://youtu.be/W1qU3qYqffU
EHX Deluxe Memory Man Nano with selectable trails in bypass and "extended delay time of 550ms".