Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Post Reply
SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am

Bought a walnut Noventa Jazzmaster and love it. All except the black pickups on a black scratch plate. Looking to replace the pickup covers for aged white. The pickups appear to be an unusual size. Contacted Fender about them with no response as yet. Anyone know exactly what pickups they are?
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7414
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by mbene085 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 pm

They're P90 "soapbar" covers. Just measure the polepiece spread and make sure you order covers with matching spacing. There are a few different standards out there for P90s (Gibson/imperial, import/metric, "F-spaced").

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 pm
They're P90 "soapbar" covers. Just measure the polepiece spread and make sure you order covers with matching spacing. There are a few different standards out there for P90s (Gibson/imperial, import/metric, "F-spaced").
Simple case of measuring then really? Wondered whether, since Fender were promoting these as "Fender Noventa Single Coil" and not P90s, the pickups were non-standard size or even completely new size. Thanks for the response.
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by Veitchy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm

SGH wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 pm
Simple case of measuring then really? Wondered whether, since Fender were promoting these as "Fender Noventa Single Coil" and not P90s, the pickups were non-standard size or even completely new size. Thanks for the response.
Marketing BS, though I'm curious why they didn't want to/couldn't call them P90s. You'll have no hassle finding replacement covers, or new pickups for that matter, should you wish to go that route. P90s are a wonderful trip.

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm
SGH wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 pm
Marketing BS, though I'm curious why they didn't want to/couldn't call them P90s. You'll have no hassle finding replacement covers, or new pickups for that matter, should you wish to go that route. P90s are a wonderful trip.
Thank you. Ordered some in cream. Measurements look right but often you don’t really know until they arrive. Replacement tortoise shell pickguard will finish it beautifully I reckon. Very expensive for non-standards though.
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
MatthewK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Hobart, Australia

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by MatthewK » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:24 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm
SGH wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 pm
Fender were promoting these as "Fender Noventa Single Coil" and not P90s
Marketing BS, though I'm curious why they didn't want to/couldn't call them P90s. You'll have no hassle finding replacement covers, or new pickups for that matter, should you wish to go that route. P90s are a wonderful trip.
Yeah “noventa” is the Spanish word for 90, kinda like the way they called standard humbuckers “Dragsters” for no apparent reason.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by Veitchy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:39 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:24 pm
Veitchy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm
SGH wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 pm
Fender were promoting these as "Fender Noventa Single Coil" and not P90s
Marketing BS, though I'm curious why they didn't want to/couldn't call them P90s. You'll have no hassle finding replacement covers, or new pickups for that matter, should you wish to go that route. P90s are a wonderful trip.
Yeah “noventa” is the Spanish word for 90, kinda like the way they called standard humbuckers “Dragsters” for no apparent reason.
Hmm. That kinda tracks I guess.

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 pm

Well the cream covers fit perfectly, completely standard size as you said. Cheers. Guitar looks so much better. I’d post a pic but can’t figure out how?
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1254
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:30 am

SGH wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 pm
Well the cream covers fit perfectly, completely standard size as you said. Cheers. Guitar looks so much better. I’d post a pic but can’t figure out how?
I‘m curious on how it looks so please have a read: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=202

Basically you need some kind of host-platform where you store your pics (like imgur or imgbb - or one of those... there are many!) and once you have done this you can copy the pic-code(s) and insert them with the image icon above the comment field.

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:04 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:30 am
SGH wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 pm
Well the cream covers fit perfectly, completely standard size as you said. Cheers. Guitar looks so much better. I’d post a pic but can’t figure out how?
I‘m curious on how it looks so please have a read: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=202

Basically you need some kind of host-platform where you store your pics (like imgur or imgbb - or one of those... there are many!) and once you have done this you can copy the pic-code(s) and insert them with the image icon above the comment field.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjhigr974wrmd ... .jpeg?dl=0
This should work. Can't for the life of me get the photo to show within thread.
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1254
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Yeah, that looks better! :w00t:
I can‘t tell if it works with Dropbox though... maybe someone can confirm or guide you further!

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:26 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec2vm0ez8xpdp ... .jpeg?dl=0

Tortoiseshell pickguard sorted on the Noventa Jazzmaster. Chuffed. Need pickup selector switch tip and tremolo arm tip to finish.
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

User avatar
Mystical4000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by Mystical4000 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:02 pm

I could see the pics... and they are lovely. Really want this guitar and would love some tips and advice. A couple of questions: which Jazzmasters were you interested in when you selected this one--basically, why this one and not Am Pro or Troy L? And, where did you pick up the covers, pick guard, etc?

Thanks!

SGH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster pickups?

Post by SGH » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:41 am

Mystical4000 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:02 pm
I could see the pics... and they are lovely. Really want this guitar and would love some tips and advice. A couple of questions: which Jazzmasters were you interested in when you selected this one--basically, why this one and not Am Pro or Troy L? And, where did you pick up the covers, pick guard, etc?

Thanks!
I wanted a 3-pickup configuration and, when I played it prior to purchase, loved the slightly aggressive sound. Also couldn't afford the American Pro or Troy Van Leeuwan models. Very expensive in my view. Pickup covers were from https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk. Easy job to sort. Tortoise-shell pick guard from https://tinytone.co.uk. Fantastic job. Pick guard is a perfect fit. Overall, completely chuffed with the end result.
Guitarist, bassist, producer, Jazzmaster lover.

Post Reply