Surf Green AVRI Jaguar, 06

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Surf Green AVRI Jaguar, 06

Post by trb1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm

All,
I recently purchased a Surf Green '06 American Vintage 62 Jaguar. I really like the guitar, but am considering selling it or trading it for a Jaguar (I think) I would prefer more: Johnny Marr or American Original. I prefer a thicker neck, but in truth, I have not been able to actually try either of those models. I like this one, but may not stick with it.

My question: how rare is the Surf Green color? From my research, I found it was only offered for a limited time. I don't know how limited, nor do I really understand how desirable (subjective, I know) the color and model is. I have seen the Reverb comps on sold versions of this guitar, and from the prices, I think it may be something people want....your feedback would be great.

My first Jaguar, and I am enjoying it a lot! It's added to my guitars that my mustang and jazzmaster don't have. Love it!

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Surf Green AVRI Jaguar, 06

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:04 pm

I think you could trade that straight for a Sherwood Green Marrguar if you wanted.

In this market, I would put that on Reverb for $3500 and see where it goes.

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks for the response! I think a Sherwood Marrguar would be cool.

I get it about the market, but $3500?! Are they that rare?

The most recent sales of these were 2K without shipping, but hey, why not push it?! Right? :)

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm

I think in the UK they aren't particularly desirable, especially since there are so many custom colour options since these were released. I dont think it would get more than about £1200 here, realistically.

Certainly not $3500. That's beat up vintage prices. Also, the AV65s are just much better in every way. I think the firemist AV65 is possibly the most desirable of all the newer Jags, with the exception of the thin skins which definitely go for a bit more. There's one in daphne blue on ebay at the moment for £2000, but it hasn't sold for a bit. Very beautiful guitar.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:44 pm

The highest most recent 62 AVRI sale on Reverb was $2800. Who knows the color. I don't think I've ever seen a surf green one for sale in the last 10 years in the USA.

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:56 pm

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm
I think in the UK they aren't particularly desirable, especially since there are so many custom colour options since these were released. I dont think it would get more than about £1200 here, realistically.

Certainly not $3500. That's beat up vintage prices. Also, the AV65s are just much better in every way. I think the firemist AV65 is possibly the most desirable of all the newer Jags, with the exception of the thin skins which definitely go for a bit more. There's one in daphne blue on ebay at the moment for £2000, but it hasn't sold for a bit. Very beautiful guitar.
I appreciate the information. I, too, have heard opinions on the AVRI vs AV quality. Having never played them both, I can't say yes or no on quality. I can say my guitar is great quality and I would not be disappointed to keep it. I definitely want to try some AV and JMJs to compare.

It's funny on the pricing. Some things sell for seemingly way more than they are worth, while others of the same type sit. I guess it's down to timing and demand? I was going off of the pricing from this Reverb page:
https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/29 ... surf-green
It seems 5 of the last 10 were sold for over $2k with three of those in 2021. Shrug.

Maybe the market in the US is better for these?

Thanks again for the feedback!

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:44 pm
The highest most recent 62 AVRI sale on Reverb was $2800. Who knows the color. I don't think I've ever seen a surf green one for sale in the last 10 years in the USA.
Thanks Pepe! I find Reverb confusing at times...not only the price guides but also the prices! :) I posted this link in another response to this thread, but looks like these go for around $2k and a bit above, especially this year, assuming the link is accurate It may not be!

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/29 ... surf-green

I like your price better, though! ;)

Cheers

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:34 pm

post#4 > "The AV65's are just so much better in every way" Not IMO - depends on what one wants...... I happen to prefer the AVRI62. The right one is the one that sounds and plays best for you. My advice is to try the other models before selling the 62RI.

The AVRI62 and AO65 are both great models and currently selling for more than I am willing to pay ( like most everything lately). The JMarr is popular too but I prefer the 62/65 sounds.

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks for your response! I think "better" is definitely subjective and also a case-by-case situation. Some of one series will (out) shine, while others don't. That said, I would definitely like to try others before selling or trading. The features one likes in a guitar are totally subjective, so that comes into play as well.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get my hands on some of these other Jaguar models! ;) ;D

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 am

I have an ‘05 or maybe ‘06 surf green AVRI jag, and I got a CAR AV65 jag (for $1200) a few years ago. The AVRI feels waaaaaay better. It’s like a glove. The AV65 was too light and just not quite as “glove-fittey.” I like the AVRI pickups, but just got a custom Sunday Handwound set that’s going on this week. I *love* the JM set from him, so I’m pretty excited for these. The AVRI pickups are a little too bright for all the reverb I use.

Dan

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 am

DeathJag wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 am
I have an ‘05 or maybe ‘06 surf green AVRI jag, and I got a CAR AV65 jag (for $1200) a few years ago. The AVRI feels waaaaaay better. It’s like a glove. The AV65 was too light and just not quite as “glove-fittey.” I like the AVRI pickups, but just got a custom Sunday Handwound set that’s going on this week. I *love* the JM set from him, so I’m pretty excited for these. The AVRI pickups are a little too bright for all the reverb I use.

Dan
Thanks, Dan! I do, indeed, like the guitar. I definitely need to give it a bit more time before doing anything. Not that you're necessarily interested, but I made a call to Fender and found out that the Surf Green color had relatively low production numbers. They hesitated to call it rare and made clear that it was not an "exact" number either, but there were not a ton made from the sound of it. So, you're one of the Surf Green Club. ;D

Enjoy those new pickups! They sure can transform a guitar, right?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am

No love for the AO60's? I've got one in surf green and it's a phenomenally great guitar! It's basically the AV65 but with a 9.5" radius board. They also come stock with the older AVRI62 pickups. I swapped mine out for a set of AV65's and I love them.

I'm primarily a Tele and Strat player, but holy man do I love my AO Jaguar. I could probably play three full sets using just that guitar.

trb1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trb1 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am
No love for the AO60's? I've got one in surf green and it's a phenomenally great guitar! It's basically the AV65 but with a 9.5" radius board. They also come stock with the older AVRI62 pickups. I swapped mine out for a set of AV65's and I love them.

I'm primarily a Tele and Strat player, but holy man do I love my AO Jaguar. I could probably play three full sets using just that guitar.
I'm totally interested in them! My original post mentions the AO. The 9.5 radius is very appealing, but I can also do with a 7.25. If I'm honest, however, I tend to like 9.5s a bit better for bending and ease of set up. I'd love to play one, but find that most stores around me are still pretty poorly stocked since the Pandemic. Hoping that may change soon, but have no great expectations. I'll be checking their stock in short order and may get lucky.

Great suggestion and feedback! Thanks.