seeking advise: which guitar do i buy?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

which guitar should i buy?

electric XII
76%
gibson les paul
24%

Total votes: 33

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: seeking advise: which guitar do i buy?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:50 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 am
I'm not unclear on what they are supposed to do, I just have to question the effectiveness of the volutes.
Sorry, my mistake then.
I've owned a few models with the volutes, still have two of them, a Sonex and a Marauder.

But the reason I say I have to question how effective they are is because when I was looking at Norlin era Deluxes, I was surprised at how many of them still had headstock breaks.

My takeaway from that is to consider the guitars with a volute to still be as fragile as any other Gibson.

Anyway, there is no reason to take the headstock of a Gibson into account when buying them, they're one of the biggest names in guitars for the last hundred years so just take reasonable care and you'll have a great guitar.

I just don't really like this "Tribute" model all that much and don't see why one would pay new price for it when one could get a better grade of guitar from Gibson used.
Pretty much agree with all of the above, especially the bolded. If you need a LP that says Gibson on the headstock, I'd go probably 3 or 4 other things I've seen on Reverb that I can get player's grade at a similar price point.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:05 am

What kind of music do you play and what is your main guitar currently?

How would you use each one if you got it?

It it were me I’d get the XII. Just more applicable to the style of music I play these days.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 am

So, I can't account for any kind of VAT that one might incur when importing a guitar from the States into Canada, nor can I account for any disparity between the currencies.

Still, there are things out there like this full gloss Studio for around $1k American:

https://reverb.com/item/40581484-gibson ... -2006-ohsc

And if you were willing to go with one of the colors that Gibson cranked out by the thousands over the decades, the Burgundy, black or white, then the sky is the limit there.

I'm not super into Les Pauls, and would much rather have the Deluxe that is mentioned on this thread, but my belief is that it's a guitar that any guitar player would want to have available. Just a ubiquitous sound, you know? Nothing does what a Les Paul does better.

Personally, though, since I'm not all that into Les Pauls, I'm content with my Studio.

So I'm not arguing against the Les Paul, just step up in quality to the full gloss coat that Gibson does well so you'll have an instrument that will last. Those satin and matte finishes that Gibson (and others) make are designed to look good hanging on the wall of the store and then never again.

On the other hand, though, that 12 string is cool and I could see someone finding that every bit as useful as any Les Paul. And unlike Les Pauls, the 12 string Fenders will not be around forever, sooner or later all the guitars will end up in the hands of folks who want to keep them and the price will rise, unless Fender just keeps making them forever, which they have basically never done.

So maybe you get the 12 string now, it might actually appreciate in a few years, and you can always get a low end Les Paul down the road- they aren't going anywhere.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 am
I'm not unclear on what they are supposed to do, I just have to question the effectiveness of the volutes.

I've owned a few models with the volutes, still have two of them, a Sonex and a Marauder.

But the reason I say I have to question how effective they are is because when I was looking at Norlin era Deluxes, I was surprised at how many of them still had headstock breaks.

My takeaway from that is to consider the guitars with a volute to still be as fragile as any other Gibson.
Was it a maple Norlin or mahogany? I have heard about maple Norlins falling down stairs and being ok... LOL :D Mahogany would make sense, but a three piece maple with a volute should be super hard to break.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 am

HNB wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 am

Was it a maple Norlin or mahogany? I have heard about maple Norlins falling down stairs and being ok... LOL :D Mahogany would make sense, but a three piece maple with a volute should be super hard to break.
Well, some of the Norlin stuff they also went to multi-piece necks, which are of course inherently a lot stronger. Not to mention the volute!

But my Les Paul is a '93, so it is from the Henry J era when they were proud of "makin' 'em how we done used to" and that meant with weak headstocks.

Like I say, just keep the guitar in a case when you aren't playing it- which I wasn't doing- and you'll be fine.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:44 am

I wish the 70's reissues Gibson was doing had the maple neck and volute... then I would actually want a new Gibson. LOL
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 am

Just going to chime in here-

Get the XII.

Get the XII.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 am

Seems like there's a consensus LOL.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:12 am

I'm going to be THAT guy and say I never understood these types of polls. (Choose my guitar, choose my guitar color, choose my next .....)

If you want something badly enough, there is no second choice.

Do you really want either of them?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am

The Fender ARXII is likely to be a better investment. (limited run, finite number, not likely to be reissued in the same format, etc.)

The ARXII is likely to be a more durable instrument. (Won't break at the headstock with a whisper...)

The ARXII is offset, and therefore better. (forum-specific opinion, stated as fact.)

The ARXII is LPB, and therefore better.

The ARXII has twelve strings, and is therefore better. (SignoftheDragon-specific opinion, stated as fact.)

Cool/unique pickups? ARXII

Cool/unique headstock? ARXII

Quality parts, construction, overall fit & finish? ARXII.

Best new XII for the money at the moment? ARXII

I WILL FIGHT YOU ON THIS!!!!!!

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 am

Musjagjazz wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:12 am
I'm going to be THAT guy and say I never understood these types of polls. (Choose my guitar, choose my guitar color, choose my next .....)

Discussion forum? great place to discuss stuff with people who share at least ONE common interest.

Let's not bag on someone for asking advice- it's not like he HAS TO DO AS THE FORUM DECIDES.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 am

Musjagjazz wrote:

Hey homie, I'm not literally asking you to choose my guitar. I can make my mind up myself but at the same time i like to talk things through with people who may have experience with something i do not.

I don't know much about gibson guitars even though they DO appeal to me. I also have never owned the electric xii nor have i picked one up in my hands (this is something we have not been able to do where i am from due to the pandemic .... yes as of now you STILL CANNOT go into store and try something out). i would consider this purchase a lot of money so i want to go into it with some degree of knowledge into what i am getting.

talking about guitars with other guitar people is kinda the point of these forums LOL.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am
The Fender ARXII is likely to be a better investment. (limited run, finite number, not likely to be reissued in the same format, etc.)

The ARXII is likely to be a more durable instrument. (Won't break at the headstock with a whisper...)

The ARXII is offset, and therefore better. (forum-specific opinion, stated as fact.)

The ARXII is LPB, and therefore better.

The ARXII has twelve strings, and is therefore better. (SignoftheDragon-specific opinion, stated as fact.)

Cool/unique pickups? ARXII

Cool/unique headstock? ARXII

Quality parts, construction, overall fit & finish? ARXII.

Best new XII for the money at the moment? ARXII

I WILL FIGHT YOU ON THIS!!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D
It's funny i thought the opinions would be a little more split, but it's all very one sided.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am

MKR wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 am
Musjagjazz wrote:

Hey homie, I'm not literally asking you to choose my guitar. I can make my mind up myself but at the same time i like to talk things through with people who may have experience with something i do not.

I don't know much about gibson guitars even though they DO appeal to me. I also have never owned the electric xii nor have i picked one up in my hands (this is something we have not been able to do where i am from due to the pandemic .... yes as of now you STILL CANNOT go into store and try something out). i would consider this purchase a lot of money so i want to go into it with some degree of knowledge into what i am getting.

talking about guitars with other guitar people is kinda the point of these forums LOL.
"Homie", really? Didn't know I was on The Gear Page

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:02 am

what's a les paul?