Classic Player Bridge pickup

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Malted Malc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Classic Player Bridge pickup

Post by Malted Malc » Sun May 09, 2021 12:51 am

I have a classic player Jazzmaster, which I'm perfectly happy with apart from the bridge pickup, which I find extremely harsh when using on its own for a clean sound. I appreciate that Classic Players were possibly (?) made with people who prefer distorted sounds in mind (and the bridge pu sounds great in that context), but I really want a useable clean sound using the bridge pu.

I know I could buy another guitar etc. but, quite frankly, I really can't afford to so I have to make do with what I've got. Fortunately, I love the sound of the guitar in the middle position (so the pickup isn't all bad!), it's just when I flick over the bridge that it's way too brash.

I could always try a different pickup/s but I'm sure I heard something about there being some kind of metal plate (?!) under these pickups that makes them louder? Is this correct? Or is there anything I can do to tame that particular pickup, as I really need to look at the cheapest/easiest option first before doing anything more drastic?

Any help or suggestions really appreciated.

Malted Malc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Classic Player Bridge pickup

Post by Malted Malc » Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 am

Just tried to lower the pickup, but still too harsh. It also reduced the sparkle in the middle position a little too much. Not sure how to resolve this issue at all (without replacing the pickups)?

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Aye if you’ve tried lowering the pick ups, and I presume adjusting amp EQ and/or tone volume knobs on the guitar too, then a pick up change and/or try lowering the pot values man.
I’m not 100% if the Classic Player comes with 1meg pots like traditional JMs, but could try 500k or even 250k which will lower the high frequencies a fair bit man.
I had a Vintera Modified for a time last year, think it’s the same guitar as yours with a different name, after readjusting my amp EQ and as per with JMs/Jags, utilising the volume/tone knobs I was pretty happy with it man.

Malted Malc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Malted Malc » Wed May 19, 2021 11:02 am

You know, I seem to have solved the problem simply by turning the volume down to about 7 or 8. It just seems a bit odd doing that, but it definitely tames that harsh bridge pick up...😊

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Wed May 26, 2021 5:10 pm

If turning down the volume works for you, then that’s Great. Personally, I would swap out the pickups got these: https://m.thomann.de/gb/fender_pure_vin ... 1622077325

Swapping the pot out for a lower value would work for your bridge, but then your neck isn’t so good. So new balanced pickups should solve this, with 250k pots.

CTS or Dimazio pots are better than fender pots.

Capacitors are all the same, but you may enjoy a 0.47 cap instead of 0.22, but you won’t know until you try.

I love treble bleeds on my volume pots, and they’re very cheap on eBay.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Thu May 27, 2021 3:17 am

Fender do some weird design choices. The Standard Jazzmaster has humbuckers and a 250k tone pot and 0.1uF cap. This kills the tone. I installed a 500k pot and a 0.047 uF cap and now my jazzmaster sounds awesome. It’s crazy design. I feel fender did it just to make their more expensive guitars sound better by comparison.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain