This is very much worth watching! Terrible Weezer song and funny Youtube video.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This is very much worth watching! Terrible Weezer song and funny Youtube video.

Post by noisepunk » Sun May 16, 2021 6:09 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:10 pm
I will say my standard line though, which is that "anybody who can make a living making music has my respect, no matter what that music sounds like." I hope they're happy writing and playing (and getting paid for) that shitty music, and that they have fans who are enjoying it.
i really want to agree with this perspective, but i just can't see past how cynical and toxic the music industry is.

for every rivers cuomo, who had the good fortune (or business sense, which is the impression i've always gotten from early weezer) of having the right sound at the right time and has been able to coast on that for nearly 30 years, there's however many other bands/artists/musicians who might be great, but struggle for support, struggle to sustain their craft, struggle for visibility (etc.). every single person on this forum knows a band that fits into this category, many that were even contemporaries of weezer, possibly (probably) even influences to them.

and to add insult to injury, weezer are going to continue to be talked about, people are going to keep listening to their latest albums, maybe even buy them, knowing they'll probably be worse than the last one, but likely won't go out of their comfort zone to support someone who's actually doing something interesting.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This is very much worth watching! Terrible Weezer song and funny Youtube video.

Post by Larry Mal » Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Does Weezer get played on the radio now? I spent the last month listening to Y98 FM here in St. Louis, which I had to look it up, it turns out that it's "Hot Adult Contemporary", maybe that means more to you than it does to me.

Maybe you wouldn't expect to find any Weezer there, but I can't really think of anywhere that would play any of the newer stuff. I guess the so-called "alternative" station here probably still plays stuff off the Blue album and a few other things, and I think that "Beverly Hills" was something of a hit.

But I can't imagine where new Weezer is getting played, exactly, and I'm skeptical to think that it is. I could be wrong, this last month was literally the first month I've listened to music on the radio in like fifteen years.

I would bet that Weezer is pretty much just making music for their fans now, they probably get to play live on Jimmy Kimmel or whatever but I can't think that they get any real airplay or even care that much.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Hey, I am going to take this off track a bit, because remember when I talked about how fucking awful the so-called "alternative" station is?

Well, I was going to link to it, and then I went to the website, and I come to find out that they have a "Real or Fake" game on the webpage where local gals can take pictures of what the DJs call their "cans" for fuck's sake and then the DJs and the audience can try and figure out what's up with these cans.

It's worse than it sounds.

Now I know why I stopped and only listen to NPR.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sun May 16, 2021 6:36 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm
Does Weezer get played on the radio now? I spent the last month listening to Y98 FM here in St. Louis, which I had to look it up, it turns out that it's "Hot Adult Contemporary", maybe that means more to you than it does to me.

Maybe you wouldn't expect to find any Weezer there, but I can't really think of anywhere that would play any of the newer stuff. I guess the so-called "alternative" station here probably still plays stuff off the Blue album and a few other things, and I think that "Beverly Hills" was something of a hit.

But I can't imagine where new Weezer is getting played, exactly, and I'm skeptical to think that it is. I could be wrong, this last month was literally the first month I've listened to music on the radio in like fifteen years.

I would bet that Weezer is pretty much just making music for their fans now, they probably get to play live on Jimmy Kimmel or whatever but I can't think that they get any real airplay or even care that much.
I found out about the new album from the popular generic "alternative" station in Philly.

A few years back, their pop fanbase seemed to be waning and they came out with Back to the Shack as a "sorry, for abandoning you, our original fanbase. Please take us back." Then they did Africa and started taking in that stupid pop money again.

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 am

I wonder If you took all of the Weezer albums from make believe on and cherry picked the best songs and b-sides if you could make a great album?
holodreck.bandcamp.com

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon May 17, 2021 2:44 am

I started looking through this guy's videos to see what else he had. And somehow he managed to get Dave Grohl for a 30 min IG Live interview. Only 100 people watched it. I have no idea how he managed that.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 am

I'm 15 minutes into the 30, and enjoying it. I'm a little older and enjoy rock/power pop/punk/alt-rock from the Beatles to Weezer.

I understand that people get upset when something they believe in goes off the rails, but I just don't have the same kind of emotional investment into music like some (or like I once did). A little while before the pandemic I saw the Pixies and Weezer and the Pixies opened.

Before the show, I wondered if they co-headlined and took turns opening vs. closing. At the show, Weezer's performance was so much bigger and better than the Pixies, it made me feel foolish for even wondering about it.

Weezer can pack a large amphitheater and entertain a diverse audience for 90 minutes with a string of hits that is surprisingly deep. Throw in a couple of goofy covers, and everybody leaves happy. What more do you really need from a band?

EDIT:

So, yeah...it's about nostalgia and where you were when you lived through certain periods of your life. Him talking with his parents about the Beach Boys "Kokomo" and Boston Market. Life becomes predictable, boring, and compressed.

The last five minutes of the video are pretty special.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 pm

As a 41 year old who grew up listening to Weezer and is fighting his hairline, this hits close to home.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm

If Weezer and Greenday quit now, maybe my childhood can start to heal from their output over the last 18 years

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 am

v enjoyable content.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 18, 2021 5:16 am

BeeTL wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 am

EDIT:

So, yeah...it's about nostalgia and where you were when you lived through certain periods of your life. Him talking with his parents about the Beach Boys "Kokomo" and Boston Market. Life becomes predictable, boring, and compressed.

Right? I mean, the guy starts off mocking Boston Market, and I assumed that was just going to be the joke there, then he weaves the whole story together with a visit to Boston Market as a way of reconciling his past with his present. Like I say, this guy is a good storyteller and I hope he has more of that kind of thing to come. Just excellent storytelling right there.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Tue May 18, 2021 5:23 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:16 am
BeeTL wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 am
EDIT:

Right? I mean, the guy starts off mocking Boston Market, and I assumed that was just going to be the joke there, then he weaves the whole story together with a visit to Boston Market as a way of reconciling his past with his present. Like I say, this guy is a good storyteller and I hope he has more of that kind of thing to come. Just excellent storytelling right there.
Agreed 100%. I shared the video on another forum and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed May 19, 2021 7:46 am

Talking to a friend yesterday who said he saw Weezer a year and a half to two years ago at some local festival thing. He mentioned that the audience had a bigger response to their cover of "Africa" by Toto than any of their original hits. Couldn't let this thread go by without mentioning that.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Wed May 19, 2021 8:20 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:46 am
Talking to a friend yesterday who said he saw Weezer a year and a half to two years ago at some local festival thing. He mentioned that the audience had a bigger response to their cover of "Africa" by Toto than any of their original hits. Couldn't let this thread go by without mentioning that.
And that cover sucks. It is a well done cover, but that is all it is, they bring nothing new to the song.

kaptainkaffeine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kaptainkaffeine » Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 am

This video was extremely relatable, and even though I'm an old now apparently I now understand what it is to feel seen