Question about a couple of Jazzmaster rhythm circuit mods

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Dr_Strang3l0v3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question about a couple of Jazzmaster rhythm circuit mods

Post by Dr_Strang3l0v3 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:18 pm

So I have a pretty heavily modded TVL Jazzmaster with an anodized aluminum pickguard and traditional rhythm circuit with standard style slider switch (picture below), and I was looking at making a few more mods to it. The original owner who I bought the guitar from included the full original wiring harness and switching from the guitar, including the bigger metal switch used for the rhythm circuit. I was wondering if it would be possible to install this switch in place of the slider switch currently on the guitar, or if there are any switches offered from somewhere like lovemyswitches.com that would work with the pickguard. Obviously if it's even possible it would require some drilling of the pickguard that I would have to have a professional do because I lack both the tools and experience to do so myself, but I'm unsure if it would even be possible in the first place. The other mod I wanted to do was to replace the 50k tone pot in the rhythm circuit with a 250k pot similar to something like this onehttps://lovemyswitches.com/16mm-potenti ... older-lug/ here to add in a bit more top end and make that circuit a little more versatile. Does anyone know if the pot I linked would fit, or if not does anyone offer a 250k pot the proper size for the rhythm circuit?

https://imgur.com/a/Gq6O7LX

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question about a couple of Jazzmaster rhythm circuit mods

Post by bodhi » Sun May 09, 2021 6:39 am

The toggle switch will work just fine, but as you already noted it'll require a larger hole than the slide switch, and in turn not cover some of the holes left from the the slide switch. By itself, this will mean you need to live with that, get another pickguard, or perhaps cover up the holes with something. Stickers? LP style ring? maybe some completely unrelated? You can f.e. find cheap plates in diy jewellery places, or dollar store-like stuff, if that feels like it'd suite your sensibilities.

As for the pot, I believe that apart from Fender-Japan models, roller knobs have a smaller shaft than quarter inch or 6.3mm, ie. eight of an inch or 4mm-ish. To be sure, you'd need to take the pickguard off and have a look. You can of course buy f.e. 6mm roller knobs, and since that's a common metric size for pot shafts finding pots is really easy. The smaller size is more difficult to find at least here in Europe, not that I've bothered trying much.

Another idea might be to get the other pot and drill out the existing roller knob, but if you don't feel up to drilling the pickguard in the first place, it might be best to make some kind of deal with a luthier for both things.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Dr_Strang3l0v3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dr_Strang3l0v3 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply! I managed to find a set of 6mm roller knobs that should work with the new pot when it comes in. I also got my hands on some metal washers of various diameters that I could put over the hole of the slider switch once it's been drilled to fit the metal toggle switch. It won't be as pretty as some other solutions, but it'll definitely fit better with all the metal industrial-ish look of the pickguard. I have a couple more parts coming in that I should be able to change out myself, and after that I'll take it to a luthier to have the pickguard drilled and the new switch and pot wired in. I was planning on getting a refret on that guitar anyway, so having it all done at once will make my life more convenient.

charmonder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by charmonder » Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I just used a replacement 1M pot from allparts. sure to fit and the "lead" circuit uses 1M so it will sound exactly like that

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Mon May 10, 2021 8:49 am

Dr_Strang3l0v3 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 pm
Thanks for the reply! I managed to find a set of 6mm roller knobs that should work with the new pot when it comes in. I also got my hands on some metal washers of various diameters that I could put over the hole of the slider switch once it's been drilled to fit the metal toggle switch. It won't be as pretty as some other solutions, but it'll definitely fit better with all the metal industrial-ish look of the pickguard. I have a couple more parts coming in that I should be able to change out myself, and after that I'll take it to a luthier to have the pickguard drilled and the new switch and pot wired in. I was planning on getting a refret on that guitar anyway, so having it all done at once will make my life more convenient.
If you bought the pot that you linked above, and exactly 6mm roller knobs, note that these wont fit. 1/4 of an inch is larger than 6mm, and in this case there isn't much wiggle room...

Sounds like a decent plan, remember to share some pics when you're done, it'll be interesting to see what the pickguard will end up looking like :)
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup