'65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:38 pm
Location: France

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by LVC » Sat May 01, 2021 3:19 pm

Image
I've kind of made it a rule in my internet life that I'm just not going to listen to anyone who rants about mystical shit like PIO caps in guitars & all the rest of that junk that's objectively busted or so slight as to be irrelevant. - mackerelmint

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Sat May 01, 2021 3:21 pm

LVC wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:19 pm
Image
Engraved by Space Lasers? :)

User avatar
Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Nevets » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Wow. This place has a real "angry dad" vibe to it these days.

User avatar
mbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by mbe » Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 am

I am leaning towards the more pragmatic theory that someone used the guitar as a flat surface to trace the design off a print taped to the body. The impression on the guitar isn't centralised so I don't think it was intentionally applied to the guitar.

As to the indignation evinced here, nobody is forced to read this thread.
Last edited by mbe on Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 am

Nevets wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm
Wow. This place has a real "angry dad" vibe to it these days.
mbe wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 am
As to the indignation evinced here, nobody is forced to read this thread.
I think ones perception of negativity largely depends on where they fall on the give a shit spectrum, especially in forums. I also think street cred in the community effects banter. For example I posted a similar thread on TGP and I have been a member of that community for many years, the tone there is different, I don't think they have even given me shit for calling it a Dragon instead of a Lion or Foo Dog in the title, I might have. I joined OSG on recommendation to get some more input from a specific group and so I'm the new guy. Not good or bad, just the way things are. I take it all like "just messin with ya" both ways. WTF do I care, I doubt I will meet many of you, and if we did I think we could jam and talk about JM's for a while without scuffle.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon May 03, 2021 7:00 am

Nevets wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm
Wow. This place has a real "angry dad" vibe to it these days.
have you seen literally any other guitar site or facebook group

User avatar
601210
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:55 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by 601210 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 am

Nevets wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm
Wow. This place has a real "angry dad" vibe to it these days.
Tbh if we did a survey of the place we'd probably find that the majority demographic of OSG literally consists of angry dads.

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 am

601210 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 am
Nevets wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm
Wow. This place has a real "angry dad" vibe to it these days.
Tbh if we did a survey of the place we'd probably find that the majority demographic of OSG literally consists of angry dads.
I'm a pretty happy Dad even after having the job for 15 years with another 10 to go (got three kids). But yeah, mostly angry dad's maybe some teenagers, that makes sense.

User avatar
ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:23 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am

jfromel wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 am
I think ones perception of negativity largely depends on where they fall on the give a shit spectrum, especially in forums. I also think street cred in the community effects banter. For example I posted a similar thread on TGP and I have been a member of that community for many years, the tone there is different, I don't think they have even given me shit for calling it a Dragon instead of a Lion or Foo Dog in the title, I might have. I joined OSG on recommendation to get some more input from a specific group and so I'm the new guy. Not good or bad, just the way things are. I take it all like "just messin with ya" both ways. WTF do I care, I doubt I will meet many of you, and if we did I think we could jam and talk about JM's for a while without scuffle.
I was the one on TGP that recommended posting over here, I genuinely thought people would enjoy seeing this and get onboard figuring it out rather than shooting it down. Sorry about that... once upon a time OSG was way more fun than this thread indicates.

User avatar
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 am

To be fair, there has been quite a few logical explanations offered man, but a fair bit of sarcasm too which sometimes doesn’t translate well in writing. Forums can be a bit raging sometimes too, this one certainly doesn’t buck the trend.

Personally, I think it’s been lent on to draw or the drawing has been under the guitar in its case for ages. As others have said, including a boy from Fender in the other forum that there’s no way it was like that from the factory.

Very interesting unique feature on your guitar though OP, a talking point for sure.

User avatar
jfromel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by jfromel » Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 am
To be fair, there has been quite a few logical explanations offered man, but a fair bit of sarcasm too which sometimes doesn’t translate well in writing. Forums can be a bit raging sometimes too, this one certainly doesn’t buck the trend.

Personally, I think it’s been lent on to draw or the drawing has been under the guitar in its case for ages. As others have said, including a boy from Fender in the other forum that there’s no way it was like that from the factory.

Very interesting unique feature on your guitar though OP, a talking point for sure.
I'm leaning towards applied after it left the factory but still think it was intentional, it's just too perfect to be an accident. If it does turn out to be an accident that's cool. Then it would be me who made it intentional and non-permanent.

User avatar
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon May 03, 2021 2:24 pm

:-*
jfromel wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm
Mondaysoutar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 am
To be fair, there has been quite a few logical explanations offered man, but a fair bit of sarcasm too which sometimes doesn’t translate well in writing. Forums can be a bit raging sometimes too, this one certainly doesn’t buck the trend.

Personally, I think it’s been lent on to draw or the drawing has been under the guitar in its case for ages. As others have said, including a boy from Fender in the other forum that there’s no way it was like that from the factory.

Very interesting unique feature on your guitar though OP, a talking point for sure.
I'm leaning towards applied after it left the factory but still think it was intentional, it's just too perfect to be an accident. If it does turn out to be an accident that's cool. Then it would be me who made it intentional and non-permanent.
Ah, aye man, looking at it again there it could definitely be intentionally done by one of the old owners.

As I say man, it’s an interesting feature however it got there.

I almost got an OW jazzy last year, that white and tort is class man. Enjoy it🤝

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6745
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by andy_tchp » Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm

ThatGuyOverThere wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am
I was the one on TGP that recommended posting over here, I genuinely thought people would enjoy seeing this and get onboard figuring it out rather than shooting it down. Sorry about that... once upon a time OSG was way more fun than this thread indicates.
Who's shot anything down? Plausible/reasonable suggestions have been made by many (some received passive aggressive bullshit from the OP for their troubles).

Or should we all just accept the fanciful suggestion of it being done at the factory for 'fun'? An actual Fender Custom Shop employee has weighed in on on that other forum (TGP - the bastion of guitar related 'fun' on the internet :D )and said 'no' to that idea.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3449
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by countertext » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I have a Strat with nitro finish which I put a couple of stickers on. When I peeled them off a few years later, they took the very topmost coat of clear off with them, leaving subtle but real ghosts of the stickers. I bet if I oversprayed the body, the imprints of the stickers would still be there.

User avatar
ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:23 am

Re: '65 AV Jazzmaster with mysterious Chinese Lion.

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm
Or should we all just accept the fanciful suggestion of it being done at the factory for 'fun'? An actual Fender Custom Shop employee has weighed in on on that other forum (TGP - the bastion of guitar related 'fun' on the internet :D )and said 'no' to that idea.
Not suggesting we accept that theory at all, personally I didn’t think that was plausible either. This place was once a hub of people who liked offset guitars, I figured there’d be more connections here to people that might find who the original artist was. Alas.

Post Reply