Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by OmarAfzaal » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 pm

tune_link wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 am
mcbrandt wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Why do I find this album pretty mediocre? All of the reviews are overly positive about it and that's great cause I like that they'll get paid, but I'm not really feeling it at all. What does everyone else think about it now that it's out?

This one....there's something about it and I want to say it's the production. It feels like the guitars max out at like 7 rather than the usual full on 10 or 11. The one song with the piano stuff in it is my least fav Dino track next to that "Stuck a Toe In" from I Bet On Sky and yet it was a single. It sounds twee in the worst way possible. I say that as someone who really loves old Belle & Sebastian and was big into twee (Softies, Go Sailor, Doleful Lions kind of shit etc) that song is not for me. I admittedly don't like Kurt Vile so maybe that's part of it. His duets record with Courtney Barnett is maybe the only thing he's done that held my interest. The idea of them doing dual lead solos does sound pretty fascinating though.

**I should probably clarify that I don't hate this album or anything but it definitely didn't grab me like I expected it to do.
Yes! The production really is no bueno on this and it's making it hard for me to enjoy some pretty solid songs. I will say, "Garden" is a top Lou tune. Really love that one.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 pm
tune_link wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 am
mcbrandt wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Why do I find this album pretty mediocre? All of the reviews are overly positive about it and that's great cause I like that they'll get paid, but I'm not really feeling it at all. What does everyone else think about it now that it's out?

This one....there's something about it and I want to say it's the production. It feels like the guitars max out at like 7 rather than the usual full on 10 or 11. The one song with the piano stuff in it is my least fav Dino track next to that "Stuck a Toe In" from I Bet On Sky and yet it was a single. It sounds twee in the worst way possible. I say that as someone who really loves old Belle & Sebastian and was big into twee (Softies, Go Sailor, Doleful Lions kind of shit etc) that song is not for me. I admittedly don't like Kurt Vile so maybe that's part of it. His duets record with Courtney Barnett is maybe the only thing he's done that held my interest. The idea of them doing dual lead solos does sound pretty fascinating though.

**I should probably clarify that I don't hate this album or anything but it definitely didn't grab me like I expected it to do.
Yes! The production really is no bueno on this and it's making it hard for me to enjoy some pretty solid songs. I will say, "Garden" is a top Lou tune. Really love that one.
Couldn’t agree more! That’s maybe one of my two fav songs on the album. Big Lou fan over here. His material on all the recent Dino records has been top notch.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:38 am

I listening to the vinyl this morning for the first time—I thought it sounded amazing, tbh. Definitely a different vibe in some places but I think of that as an asset. “I Ain’t” is a classic Dino song.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:27 pm

Finally got this and it’s pretty good. The sleepy vocals I could do without, but love all the music. It’s comfort food really.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

I’m actually starting to come around on it a bit. It’s not too far off from the last few, so pretty par for the post reunion course.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun May 02, 2021 6:23 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:27 pm
It’s comfort food really.
This. I'm not going to say no to more Dino.