2020 Squier Super Sonic replacement tuners?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PearlJamNoCode
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

2020 Squier Super Sonic replacement tuners?

Post by PearlJamNoCode » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 am

I'm refinishing one of the newer Super Sonics and want to replace the tuners. I'm measuring the bushings and they have an exterior diameter of 8.2mm and interior diameter of about 5.9-6.0mm. Has anyone found a replacement tuner that doesn't require drilling the neck?

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: 2020 Squier Super Sonic replacement tuners?

Post by ohm-men » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:17 am

I'm not too familar with the Squier Super Sonic. But the pictures of the tuners suggest these are Kluson inline style tuners.
I'm sure that most aftermarket tuners will fit.
Given the odd diameter, there will be a bit of work requiered. But I don't thinkyou need to drill the tuners holes.
Perhaps a reamer might be enough. As far as the inner diamter goes, don't worry about that. Most aftermarker tuner set come with a set of bushings.
Tap the old ones out from the back of the headstock using a small hamer and a round piece of hardwood that fits the tuner headstock hole and gently tap these out.
Then measure the hole in the headstock and the outer diameter of the new bushing and adjust.
Like I said, I don't think a lot work will be involved and it's pretty straightforward.

Gotoh' (Japan) are good replacements but their bushing usually are a tda wider in diameter if I recall correctly.
Ping (Korea) might also be a possible candidate, their bushings are almost the same diamter as the Squier ones.
I asume that the Super Sonic uses the same tuners as the CV range of Squiers.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2020 Squier Super Sonic replacement tuners?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:50 am

If it's Kluson-style vintage ones, Gotoh makes easily the best replacements on the market. Just pick which ones you want (split post, locking, etc), and they should work if yours have standard dimensions.