Octave fuzz recommendations?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Octave fuzz recommendations?

Post by hillerheilman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Hey forum.

I need some help picking a fuzz pedal. I’d like something close to a fuzz face that I can use with a wah for Hendrix type stuff, but I’d also like the option to have an octave up as well. The only thing similar that I know of is the Fulltone Octafuzz but I’m not really a fan of it without the octave. Does a fuzz face clone with an octave switch exist? Can anybody recommend something?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Octave fuzz recommendations?

Post by jorri » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:50 am

I used to just stack them, sometimes that gets there eith more versatility. I would think someone must have done that b/c Hendrix.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:41 am

The Prescription Electronics Face Lift is exactly what you are looking for, a Fuzz Face and switchable octave. The Prescription Experience Fuzz adds more gain and a Swell function. The builder passed away a few years ago, so they have gone up in price. There are probably a few clones to be found though.

Basic Audio makes 2 octave fuzz pedals, one is a Foxxtone clone and the other is a Super Fuzz clone. Neither are a Fuzz Face, but both have switchable octave.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:56 am

I'd toss a tiny fuzz and tiny octave in together and stack them. Something like a TC Sub 'n' Up for the octave and an MXR 108 Mini fuzz for, would you believe, the fuzz. Gets you a bit more flexibility in pairing fuzz sounds you like and an octave that tracks how you want it to, and especially if you can find tiny pedals for both, you might be out less board space than the average massive two-button boutiquey pedal.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 am

Which flavor of Fuzz Face (silicon or germanium) and what type of octave are you looking for (up/down/both, precise polyphonic tracking or glitchy analog)?

I was looking a while back and for me the Demeter Fuzzy Octavulator was the top contender. Seems to have good tracking of the octave all over the neck while still having an overall vintage vibe and a little less chaotic than the typical Foxx Tone Machine thing. The octave alone didn't seem that usable, but that's par for the course. I ultimately decided to go cheaper and non-octave.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:33 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:56 am
I'd toss a tiny fuzz and tiny octave in together and stack them. Something like a TC Sub 'n' Up for the octave and an MXR 108 Mini fuzz for, would you believe, the fuzz. Gets you a bit more flexibility in pairing fuzz sounds you like and an octave that tracks how you want it to, and especially if you can find tiny pedals for both, you might be out less board space than the average massive two-button boutiquey pedal.
Yes i did that with a sub'n'up, stacking into a fuzz (classic 'analogue mode') is like an octave-fuzz with no let downs, always clear and if anything weird overtones/subharmonics accentuated.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 am

What about pairing a Fuzz Face with an EQD Tentacle?

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:40 pm

I have considered just stacking a fuzz face and a separate octave. I would rather it be one pedal just to avoid having to use an additional spot on my power supply, but I suppose I could power the fuzz with a battery if I need to.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Yeah, if you get a very old school FF like the hypersupermegafantasticomgiloveitsomuch Dunlop JH F1, you only need to replace the battery like once a year and they don't even have DC input anyway. You might also get in trouble if you try to power a FF along with other pedals with the same power supply since they are positive ground.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 am
Which flavor of Fuzz Face (silicon or germanium) and what type of octave are you looking for (up/down/both, precise polyphonic tracking or glitchy analog)?
I think germanium. Most of the pedals I’ve looked at so far and liked have been germanium. Not sure how concerned I should be about temperature changes and tone with germanium though.
As for the octave, it would be cool if it could do up or down, but as far as digital or analog I have no clue. I would assume digital is inherently more consistent?

charmonder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by charmonder » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:52 pm

hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 pm
As for the octave, it would be cool if it could do up or down, but as far as digital or analog I have no clue. I would assume digital is inherently more consistent?
this is kind of a misconception. "octave" effects in broad are actually totally different than the basic analog octave up like octavia / green ringer, foxx tone machine, (jimi hendrix tone thing) analog octave up effects don't have tracking errors. it doesnt have latency. it destroys chords. it makes predictable ring modulation out of 2 notes. it rules. The best part is if you stick it before your fuzz face it goes to max fuzz even if you are doing the roll off trick.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Danelectro French Toast. Super cheap, it's literally a Foxx Tone Machine in a wee plastic enclosure. It can be had for around $35, last time I looked.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:54 am

hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:49 am
I think germanium. Most of the pedals I’ve looked at so far and liked have been germanium. Not sure how concerned I should be about temperature changes and tone with germanium though.
Digital usually more consisten, polyphonic, maybe delayed, chorused whatever depending on pedal. More likely to track your five string bass etc.

Analogue- glitchy character on lows (like a boss OC-2) or some are like a mxr blue box basically oscillating and out of control. Octave (up)fuzz is something else, its like the guitar took a bit of helium but didnt quite make it to pitch shifting discretely but its the " face-melting rock lead", chords become a mess of unrelated intervals.
I actually like a Superfuzz (Univox or shin ei) on the mid boosted setting.

Sub'n'up mentioned in the thread does the first plus a clean simulation of the former, oc2 and octavia style (i guess thats a Foxx if its clean). It still glitches, but predictably, and has a sort of 'idealised imitation' of it without issues.. In the Toneprint software dirt, eq, chorus etc can be added but wouldnt be fuzz.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:57 am

As per usual i forgot something. Electro Harmonix Microsynth but only use the pitch and synth (which is actually fuzz) sliders?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 am

What about the Keeley Monterey?... not exactly cheap - but it gives you a blendable octave (knob, no extra switch sadly) and either rotary or wah or vibe to choose from (via mini toggle).
https://m.thomann.de/at/keeley_monterey.htm

I don‘t know what it‘s exactly based on but you could order a JPTR FX Silvermachine and ask for the 3000 mod - two extra Footswitches - one for the second Fuzz/Boost circuit and one for the octave...

Or the Elite Tone „Fillmore Thunder“ if you can find one.

Other than that (+ if you can solder) go diy!