Everyone needs a stompbox.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Re: Which Rat....?????

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am
I owned a 90s big box vintage reissue, a rat II and a turbo rat at some point in the '00s. I found the big box reissue was the best of those three. Then ten years ago I found a small box one from '86 for €85. I believe the hype now, it beat all the other ones. It's by far the best distortion pedal I ever owned and it's not going anywhere.
After watching this video, I'm now doubting the hype and ordering a new Rat. If it's really as good as/identical to my old one, I'm just gonna sell my '86. Like a sensible person.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am
Sauerkraut wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am
I owned a 90s big box vintage reissue, a rat II and a turbo rat at some point in the '00s. I found the big box reissue was the best of those three. Then ten years ago I found a small box one from '86 for €85. I believe the hype now, it beat all the other ones. It's by far the best distortion pedal I ever owned and it's not going anywhere.
After watching this video, I'm now doubting the hype and ordering a new Rat. If it's really as good as/identical to my old one, I'm just gonna sell my '86. Like a sensible person.
Hm yes. I had a socket for the IC. Tried a few out and after struggling to hear the difference it was not an obvious choice for the LM308. I cant remember which i actually used for it, could have been a 308? Thing is its a very minor difference. Id rather change the response caps or diodes. A "fat rat" or whichever non-overpriced clone, probably anything but the 1981.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 am

Years ago I decided I needed a RAT. I never had one, because I associated them with hair metal growing up, but a couple of friends used them playing shoegaze and they sounded splendid.

I went around to local pawnshops that had large music gear sections and the 2nd one had a big box RAT for $65. I plugged it in and played a few notes.

The guy behind the counter yelled out “Sounds like a RAT!”

Yes, it does. I guess I am not a connoisseur, but a RAT sounds like a RAT. I never wanted another one besides that big box version and still have it. It does what it says on the tin. It sounds like a RAT. I used it as an overdrive to Marshall up my AC-30. Gives it a nice crunch. I almost never dime it because that still sounds too much like a hair metal solo to me and I don’t have a Floyd Rose.

Built by “The Woodchopper” if you are a connoisseur.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Its true. Rats sound like rats and not much imitates a rat except when they are rats.

Boost at that 2k harshness and weirdly versatile gain knob, weirdly unversatile filter knob etc.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:35 pm

My kid wants a fancy rat, but you have to keep them in pairs because they are social creatures and I don't want to end up the only person who is willing to clean the cage.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm

After a long time away a Rat is back on my board. I feel like for a while I was on a plateau with my playing where it was a sound I couldn’t really work with because everything I could do with it seemed corny. Maybe it still is corny and I’ve just gotten over it.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:46 am

I have a TurboRat which I loved at the time but haven't used in ages. I have heard great things about the DRV Inventions as an evolved RAT and am thinking of switching. I have CBA Brothers that covers most of my distorted sounds nowadays but RAT-like sounds aren't there...any experience with the DRV?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:34 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm
After a long time away a Rat is back on my board. I feel like for a while I was on a plateau with my playing where it was a sound I couldn’t really work with because everything I could do with it seemed corny. Maybe it still is corny and I’ve just gotten over it.
I dont know if i would have put it as corny, but it took a back seat, its a particular style and i am not playing that style, i think of it as the 'harsh' pedal for no wavish sounds. But its become dimed to fuzz instead, whilst i use a mooer hustle drive. maybe i should find a big muff type (or a fuzz war)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:37 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:46 am
I have a TurboRat which I loved at the time but haven't used in ages. I have heard great things about the DRV Inventions as an evolved RAT and am thinking of switching. I have CBA Brothers that covers most of my distorted sounds nowadays but RAT-like sounds aren't there...any experience with the DRV?
It seems hypey. I didnt really get any impression of something other than an everyday distortion to be found anywhere from demos. And at that, i can make a rat sound like it by using a buffered boost infront because i think essentially that is most of the 'mod' they did.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:50 am

Cool thanks for the tip - then I might as well get a normal rat and maybe keep the turbo too then 8)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am

jorri wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:34 am
marqueemoon wrote:
I dont know if i would have put it as corny, but it took a back seat, its a particular style and i am not playing that style, i think of it as the 'harsh' pedal for no wavish sounds. But its become dimed to fuzz instead, whilst i use a mooer hustle drive. maybe i should find a big muff type (or a fuzz war)
I’ve never liked Muff-style pedals. I think spending some time with some more conventional fuzzes taught me to “play to” the effect more, and that’s carried over.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:58 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am
jorri wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:
I’ve never liked Muff-style pedals. I think spending some time with some more conventional fuzzes taught me to “play to” the effect more, and that’s carried over.
The actual muff i tend to find too smooth and unresponsive yeh. Variants, usually germanium with a different set of eq, like dba fuzz war or cloven hoof all good. I use a fuzz face family thing now, used superfuzz and etc but sometimes its just wool and mud on chords, i want all the fizz, wall of white noise rhythm fuzz, recently trying an hm-2 clone the eyemaster but that is not all there (for £25 not expecting much), right kind of area though.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am
jorri wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:
Ha. I'm the exact opposite! Muff fuzz is the only fuzz I ever liked outside of octave stuff. But that's what's so cool about it - everyone's setup is different and there's room for everything.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagstang » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 am

I really dig the ehx flatiron fuzz. Mike Matthews try of a rat...

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:05 am

Any Rat is a good first Rat.
I'll vote for the least expensive one - or the one that looks the coolest.
Vintage Rats are special for collecting because they are old or rare or, more frequently, because they beat up and look super-cool-rough but are still working perfectly. I don't think they sound distinctly different beyond (as the previously posted JHS video demonstrates) tolerances within components that make matching settings a tiny bit tricky.

All the simple mods and turbos and whatnot can be awesome, but they are variants on base Rat-iness, which anyone should try out first. The more dramatic mods are just turning a Rat into a not-a-Rat.

I have two Rats that I love, but am only using them occasionally right now (I'm on a fuzz face kick!). With those, I would often run them both in my pedal chain: one as the first pedal with "distortion" set low (which is delightfully fuzzy on a Rat), and the other as the second-to-last pedal with "distortion" set medium (which is a toothy, churny sound). This follows the model set by, I think, KG in SY and GC in Blur.

I hope this is helpful!
~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair