Bring back Staytrem adjusto-matic replacement parts...

For help with setups and other technical issues.
GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bring back Staytrem adjusto-matic replacement parts...

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:55 am

I would love John at Staytrem to offer AOM bridge upgrades again for the following offset guitars (I may have missed some):

Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar/Mustang, J Mascis Jazzmasters (Japan Squier), Classic Player Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Fender Limited Edition American Special Jazzmaster with Bigsby, Jaguarillo, Noventa Jazzmaster, Thurston Moore Jazzmaster, Fender Vintera '60s Jazzmaster Modified, Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, Squier FSR Ryan Jarman guitar etc.

I contacted Staytrem in early November 2020 to ask about bridges for AOM equipped Jazzmasters and John said he doesn't make them. Having said that, he didn't post internationally at the time and now he does, so things can change. Also, he has stopped and then started making AOM parts in the past (he stopped in 2015 and then brought them back in 2017).

John made the following parts for AOM guitars:

Conversion bushings (11mm and 12mm ones). These were thicker and would fit in the existing holes/body of a guitar with an AOM bridge, without having to dowel and re-drill. The original AOM bushings still had to be reomved though. After the installation, any bridge could be used e.g. Mastery, Staytrem, Mustang etc. The 11mm were for Classic Player Jaguar and Jazz masters, Thurston Moore Jazzmasters and Pawn Shop Jaguarillos. The 12mm ones were for the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2092972-stay ... tic-bridge

He also made the drop-in replacement bridge for the existing AOM studs:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/1242988-stay ... and-jaguar

Lastly, he made the rocking version:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/29988549-sta ... ng-version

Halon now offer something similar at a much higher price point (around £150):

https://www.facebook.com/halonguitarpar ... 8600943984

If I can't get a Staytrem AOM replacement, then I'm going to go with the Halon AOM Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge. I like AOM bridges, but on the J Mascis Jazzmasters I used to have (purple MIJ/CIJ ones) I found the strings snapped more often with trem use. Also, I think there are better alternatives these days, without having to get surgical and fitting new thimbles. I know I can make a drop-in replacement, but I don't have the tools and I've always been very heavy handed with that type of thing. Therefore, I would prefer to just buy one.

I need one with a 7.25" radius (custom order) for a Thurston Moore Jazzmaster. I was hoping that a few of you on here that are interested in upgrading your AOM bridge would contact Staytrem, he might make a small supply of AOM offset bridges or conversion parts if there is enough demand. For example, I managed to get a 7.25" radius Bass VI bridge last year (for my 1967 Bass VI). He made a small unadvertised supply of these back in October.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bring back Staytrem adjusto-matic replacement parts...

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:24 am

I sold my Mascis before trying this out, but you could always try Graphtech TOM saddles. They make them for just about every shape of TOM variant under the sun, and they're self-lubricating. You either want a fixed bridge with low friction saddles, or a floating bridge with high friction saddles. Graphtech seems like the ideal solution, since you'd get low-friction performance like a roller bridge in a homogenous material that could be filed to any radius.

Cheaper than a Staytrem, too.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:47 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:24 am
I sold my Mascis before trying this out, but you could always try Graphtech TOM saddles. They make them for just about every shape of TOM variant under the sun, and they're self-lubricating. You either want a fixed bridge with low friction saddles, or a floating bridge with high friction saddles. Graphtech seems like the ideal solution, since you'd get low-friction performance like a roller bridge in a homogenous material that could be filed to any radius.

Cheaper than a Staytrem, too.
Thanks for that. I did look at them and I may still try them as a cheaper alternative. However, I was always a bit put off by the loss of some of the high frequencies. I know they're not the exact bridges in the video below, but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBXn32BYtQ

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 am

Well, most people notice that Staytrem bridges noticeably roll off some treble compared to a stock JM bridge (there was a whole thread on that recently) and they would certainly do so compared to a stock TOM, and roller bridges do, too.

Neither floating designs nor low-friction designs have as sharp a tone as a fixed, high-friction knife-edge saddle. It's not at all a Graphtech-specific thing.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 am
Well, most people notice that Staytrem bridges noticeably roll off some treble compared to a stock JM bridge
Can't say I noticed that with my Staytrems tbh.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 am

mbene085 wrote:
Well, most people notice that Staytrem bridges noticeably roll off some treble compared to a stock JM bridge (there was a whole thread on that recently) and they would certainly do so compared to a stock TOM, and roller bridges do, too.

Neither floating designs nor low-friction designs have as sharp a tone as a fixed, high-friction knife-edge saddle. It's not at all a Graphtech-specific thing.
Yeah I've never noticed a significant drop on my Staytrem bridges. They may sound a little more punchy, but I always thought they were quite clear and bright. I think they sound good. The Mastery seems to have a bit of a ring to it on the high frequencies. You can hear them all compared here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viES3qFHnIA

AOM are a bit sharp in comparison though.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am

GAZINGUK wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 am
Yeah I've never noticed a significant drop on my Staytrem bridges.
Think about the two statements you made here and consider that this is exactly my point. TOMs are a brighter, sharper-sounding bridge design than any of the low-friction or floating systems. It's just a matter of the bridges' physical properties.

It's all relative. I don't find my Staytrems dull-sounding at all, but every bridge design and material affects the tone somewhat, and if you A/B a TOM and a Staytrem, you'll notice a drop in the prominence of the transient and/or high treble frequencies.

All this was to say that avoiding Graphtech saddles because they "lose high end" is a bit silly if the alternatives you're considering are floating or roller bridges, because those designs all change the tone equally significantly, and all in slightly different ways. There's simply no bridge that will provide tuning stability with trem use while sounding exactly like a stock TOM/AOM, so you have to accept that the tone will change. Whether or not you prefer the changed tone (or even notice it) will be a matter of taste, but it will be different, regardless.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am
GAZINGUK wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 am
Yeah I've never noticed a significant drop on my Staytrem bridges.
Think about the two statements you made here and consider that this is exactly my point. TOMs are a brighter, sharper-sounding bridge design than any of the low-friction or floating systems. It's just a matter of the bridges' physical properties.

It's all relative. I don't find my Staytrems dull-sounding at all, but every bridge design and material affects the tone somewhat, and if you A/B a TOM and a Staytrem, you'll notice a drop in the prominence of the transient and/or high treble frequencies.

All this was to say that avoiding Graphtech saddles because they "lose high end" is a bit silly if the alternatives you're considering are floating or roller bridges, because those designs all change the tone equally significantly, and all in slightly different ways. There's simply no bridge that will provide tuning stability with trem use while sounding exactly like a stock TOM/AOM, so you have to accept that the tone will change. Whether or not you prefer the changed tone (or even notice it) will be a matter of taste, but it will be different, regardless.
Yeah I know all that and the point your trying to make and I should have been clear when I stated they were a bit sharp. What I was talking about was the slightly britle harmonics that used to occur near the bridge when I played and owned two different purple J Mascis Jazzmasters. I'm not sure if that was because the bridges were rather cheap and used to rattle a bit, thus causing some string movement. I like bright sounds though, so it wasn't something that used to bother me, I find the opposite annoying. I was more concerned by the strings snapping at the bridge due to tremolo usage.

Additionally, I understand that there will be a change in sound due to the way strings resonate or move across the sharp saddles on an AOM when compared to a floating bridge and rounded saddles. However, my Staytrem bridges sound bright to me and I've notice very little sonic difference (in the upper frequencies) between the two parts. In may experience, the sound and function is maybe a little more blanaced on a Staytrem. I find graphtech saddles (and products) offer a sound that I perceive to be less bright than a Staytrem, Mustang, or even Jag/Jazzmaster bridge. Therefore, they are not desirable to me and my prefrence is to find something closer to a regular offset bridge in terms of function and sound. I just like them, hence the reason why I made this thread. I don't even like tusq nuts, I think they sound dull and I've removed them from my guitars that arrived with them pre-installed.

Anyway... think we can get John at Staytrem to make a small batch of AOM bridges?
Last edited by GAZINGUK on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 17 times in total.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am
I don't find my Staytrems dull-sounding at all, but every bridge design and material affects the tone somewhat, and if you A/B a TOM and a Staytrem, you'll notice a drop in the prominence of the transient and/or high treble frequencies.
I've never owned a Jaguar/Jazzmaster with an AOM/TOM so cannot comment on that (although I don't doubt you're probably right), but you said:
mbene085 wrote:
Well, most people notice that Staytrem bridges noticeably roll off some treble compared to a stock JM bridge
And that's not my experience at all.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am

BearBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am
Totally valid opinion. Just mentioning what a lot of people were expressing in that thread a little while back (though it's not my experience, either).
GAZINGUK wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 am
Anyway... think we can get John at Staytrem to make a small batch of AOM bridges?
Not sure, just made a suggestion for people looking for alternatives, but good luck.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:49 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am
BearBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am
Totally valid opinion. Just mentioning what a lot of people were expressing in that thread a little while back (though it's not my experience, either).
GAZINGUK wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 am
Not sure, just made a suggestion for people looking for alternatives, but good luck.
Yeah I know, everyone has a different opinion. They are just that, diffrent opinions. I haven't taken offense or anything! ;D All good stuff.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Cheers. I'll see if I can find that thread. It's genuinely not a view I'd come across before and am now worried I've got tin ears :wtf: :D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
Cheers. I'll see if I can find that thread. It's genuinely not a view I'd come across before and am now worried I've got tin ears :wtf: :D
Found it, but won't post again on that subject in order to avoid further derailing this thread.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
mbene085 wrote:
I've never noticed this before either, so lets just say everyone else has Chicken hearing! :D :

https://www.audiology.org/news/rooster% ... sing-canal

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 pm
Found it
Thanks! :)