Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 am

I added the EQ to get also some bassier tones out of my Bass VI:

I might change the Empress Tape Delay against a DOD Rubberneck. I had one of those before and it was a bit too dark and grungy for my taste back then, but I think in the current band/sound/setup it could fit very very well.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Current setup, I run my Jazzmaster as well as my acoustic through this into my VoxAC15HW (mostly use the blue sky and tuner with the acoustic). Just got the analog man chorus and I'm in love!

Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 am

NBarnes21 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:15 pm
Current setup, I run my Jazzmaster as well as my acoustic through this into my VoxAC15HW (mostly use the blue sky and tuner with the acoustic). Just got the analog man chorus and I'm in love!

Killer set up as always. I fell back in love with my Analogman Chorus over the past few weeks after a few months using my Retrosonic Flanger instead. It's such a good sound.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 am
NBarnes21 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Killer set up as always. I fell back in love with my Analogman Chorus over the past few weeks after a few months using my Retrosonic Flanger instead. It's such a good sound.
Thanks Steve! Yeah I'd never really messed with chorus much till a friend gave me one of those cheapie $30 donner chorus pedals a while back, and man, the analog man is a whole different animal, so musical, works great with distortion/fuzz too!
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 pm

NBarnes21 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks Steve! Yeah I'd never really messed with chorus much till a friend gave me one of those cheapie $30 donner chorus pedals a while back, and man, the analog man is a whole different animal, so musical, works great with distortion/fuzz too!
It's very warm sounding and shockingly not noisy considering it's EHX circuit heritage. Sometimes I wish it was a bit more mids/highs focused like the CS-9 but then again I also rarely play totally clean so if I did I doubt I'd have any issues.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:50 am

Anyone ever split a big board into 2 smaller boards?

I love my big board and all the combinations I can make, but I wonder how I would love it if I put my splitter first, with one side going to its own board and amp. Just to experiment. My thinking is running it like parallel effects, but with no signal mixing back together, to try different flavors of drive simultaneously.

The rough idea I've got right now is this: [guitar] > tuner > splitter > [A: Catalinbread Naga Viper > EQD Dunes > EQD Hummingbird > Catalinbread Echorec > EQD Afterneath > [Fender '65 PRRI]] / [B: Fuzz > RAT (Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot) > Caroline Parabola > Caroline Kilobyte > Caroline Meteore > [Marshall Origin 20C]]

Just curious if anyone has tried it, and if they liked it/preferred it.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:50 am

I love my big board and all the combinations I can make, but I wonder how I would love it if I put my splitter first, with one side going to its own board and amp. Just to experiment. My thinking is running it like parallel effects, but with no signal mixing back together, to try different flavors of drive simultaneously.

The rough idea I've got right now is this: [guitar] > tuner > splitter > [A: Catalinbread Naga Viper > EQD Dunes > EQD Hummingbird > Catalinbread Echorec > EQD Afterneath > [Fender '65 PRRI]] / [B: Fuzz > RAT (Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot) > Caroline Parabola > Caroline Kilobyte > Caroline Meteore > [Marshall Origin 20C]]

I used to have a modular system, and still do somewhat, where I had a delay and modulation board, a 2 dirt boards that I could switch out. One was more fuzz oriented and the other was overdrive/boost. Then I had a rack with a few digital effects like an SPX-900, or a Roland tape echo. There was an A/B switch that could send different signals to the 2 different amps. One Fender and one Vox.

I could mix and match them depending on the project.

Since I updated my setup a few years ago and replaced the rack effects with Eventide and Strymon pedals it is much more compact, but still modular. Or can be.

I have a big board that goes in a flight case that has an expression pedal and all my modulation and time based effects. Mounted on that board is a mini Pedaltrain that holds my dirt pedals. It can be removed and easily transported in the Pedaltrain gig bag. I usually bring along my DMM for echo duty.

2020 and lack of funds kept me from getting a 2nd Pedaltrain that would hold more of an experimental group of synth-fuzz, bit-crusher row of pedals that I could swap out with the standard fuzz board.

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:50 am

I was messing around with something along these lines earlier this year. Only using my splitter to have an effects channel and clean channel with light drive swapped polarity into my Deluxe Reverb. I may try something like this again but I just really like channel 2.
Ryan

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Oh and totally. Split pedaltrain nano boards with chainable Cioks power supplies are fun. But I’m just using one atm.
Ryan

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 am

This is my current main board (I have a smaller more condensed gig board).

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:23 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:11 pm
I used to have a modular system, and still do somewhat, where I had a delay and modulation board, a 2 dirt boards that I could switch out. One was more fuzz oriented and the other was overdrive/boost. Then I had a rack with a few digital effects like an SPX-900, or a Roland tape echo. There was an A/B switch that could send different signals to the 2 different amps. One Fender and one Vox.

I could mix and match them depending on the project.

Since I updated my setup a few years ago and replaced the rack effects with Eventide and Strymon pedals it is much more compact, but still modular. Or can be.

I have a big board that goes in a flight case that has an expression pedal and all my modulation and time based effects. Mounted on that board is a mini Pedaltrain that holds my dirt pedals. It can be removed and easily transported in the Pedaltrain gig bag. I usually bring along my DMM for echo duty.

2020 and lack of funds kept me from getting a 2nd Pedaltrain that would hold more of an experimental group of synth-fuzz, bit-crusher row of pedals that I could swap out with the standard fuzz board.
That sounds insanely awesome. I love the modularity of it!!! Synth-fuzz and bit-crushing would be awesome to add to that.

blunderbuss wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:15 pm
I was messing around with something along these lines earlier this year. Only using my splitter to have an effects channel and clean channel with light drive swapped polarity into my Deluxe Reverb. I may try something like this again but I just really like channel 2.
blunderbuss wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Oh and totally. Split pedaltrain nano boards with chainable Cioks power supplies are fun. But I’m just using one atm.
LOVE it!! Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll just try it one of these days. I'm afraid that I'm gonna like a separate board for each amp though. If I do, and want to make it permanent, there are some sounds that I quite love that I won't be able to get. But I like the idea of changing it up for a little extra inspiration too...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

onebigholiday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by onebigholiday » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:46 pm

I'm sure I've made changes from the last time I posted:

Way Huge rules!

SurfLove
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SurfLove » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 pm

My current pedalboard setup:

1 TC Electronic Tuner > 2 TC Bonafide Buffer > 3 Keeley Compressor + > 4 TC Sub ‘n Up Mini Octave Pedal > 5 JAM Pedals RetroVibe V2 > 6 Wampler Tumnus > 7 Fulltone CS OCD Germanium > 8 LovePedal Super Six (swap in Analogman Peppermint Fuzz when necessary) > 9 Xotic XW-1 Wah > 10 MXR Analog Chorus > 11 Fulltone Supa Trem > 12 Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay/Looper > 13 Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb II - also includes channel, booster switch for the Carr Slant 6V.

After too many times going back and forth between multi-effects units like the G System, Nova System and Boss ES-8, I’ve finally settled on a smaller board with the effects I want and use. Simplicity was what I was after. Was getting too overwhelmed by the complexity of those multi-units which also frankly didn’t offer the sound quality my current setup offers. The key for me I think, is good connector cables (I love Geistnote's Evidence Audio Monorail Solderless cables, crystal clear with less than 1 ohm resistance per my Cusack cable tester) and a good power supply (I use the Strymon Zuma).
I of course have spring reverb for my surf sounds with my Jaguar via the excellent Topanga Spring Reverb II. My Carr Slant 6V (an awesome Deluxe-type combo) has excellent spring reverb on the clean channel, but if I use my Vibro Champ or a different backline amp, I have my spring covered (along with the Supa Trem when needed).
One thing I did with the board for the first time was something new (for me) pedal order. I’ve essentially put all my distortion boxes after my univibe pedal (the Jam Pedals Retrovibe V2) and then before my Wah (Xotic XW-1). Really love the difference it makes. It really allows the depth of the vibe pedal to come through and not get buried by distortion pedals and also seems to boost the Wah effect. Incredibly pleased with that. Any others here try a similar order and what do you think?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Meriphew wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 am
This is my current main board (I have a smaller more condensed gig board).

Interested to hear about the routing of this.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm in a weird place lately. I've been playing my Tele Custom and CV JM straight into my '65 PRRI (mostly to get used to the amp better) and am loving the sound of the guitar straight into the amp. I feel like I'm playing better and feel more inspired, but the whole time there are certain sounds that I'm missing (things I wish I could add to that magic). At the same time, when I'm playing with my pedalboard, I feel more at home because of the things I can do, but there's something not quite right with the tone. I'm wondering if I might start looking into a small switching system (like a Gig Rig Quartermaster) to just put all my pedals in their own loop. There aren't any pedals that seem to be sucking tone or anything, and I've got a couple pedals with a buffer. It's a weird place to feel like "the grass is always greener on the other side", but where it feels like the other side has some legitimacy too.