Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am
This new Death and Vanilla album is currently floating my boat in a very good way.
I coincidentally just picked this up today

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

Sharron Kraus has a new/old album out on Clay Pipe

Released on the 2nd of August is a repress of Sharron Kraus' long sold out 2015 Clay Pipe LP, which includes the new extra track Gwydion. Friends and enemies; Lovers and Strangers is a collection of songs inspired by the Welsh folk tales of The Mabinogi. The idea for the album was first realised while she was living in rural mid Wales

https://claypipemusic.greedbag.com/sharronkraus/

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am
Sharron Kraus has a new/old album out on Clay Pipe

Released on the 2nd of August is a repress of Sharron Kraus' long sold out 2015 Clay Pipe LP, which includes the new extra track Gwydion. Friends and enemies; Lovers and Strangers is a collection of songs inspired by the Welsh folk tales of The Mabinogi. The idea for the album was first realised while she was living in rural mid Wales

https://claypipemusic.greedbag.com/sharronkraus/
Mine came on Saturday, I have the first version but ponied up for the new song. Sharron is the real deal.

Btw if you don't know them check out her mostly instrumental records (actually cd dig only) Pilgrim Chants and Pastoral Tales and the companion piece Nightmare which are also from her time in Wales.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 am

If you're in London in December:
In partnership with our friends at Eat Your Own Ears, Fire Records is very excited to announce a special day of music at Studio 9294 on 14th December in London! The Outer Limits will see performances from Vanishing Twin, Fenella (Jane Weaver + Raz Ullah & Peter Philipson), Death And Vanilla, Pictish Trail, Islet and more TBA.
https://fire-records.lnk.to/OuterLimitsShowbc
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am

Direct hit in the centre of the hauntological dreamspace:

Scarred For Life, Kev Oyston and Memories of 1970s TV

Both a book detailing the impact of weird 1970s film and TV on an entire generation, and an album of original music inspired by it. Musicians contributing include Vic Mars, The Heartwood Institute and Keith Seatman, all of whom have been featured in this thread at some point.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am

Both a book detailing the impact of weird 1970s film and TV on an entire generation, and an album of original music inspired by it. Musicians contributing include Vic Mars, The Heartwood Institute and Keith Seatman, all of whom have been featured in this thread at some point.
Growing up in the USofA I feel like I'm on the outside looking in with this sort of thing. Yes, Dr Who made it over, and things got a little weird stateside, but nothing like the forces at work in the UK. I wish I had been able to see those shows (or the reruns) as a kid growing up (in the late late 70s and 80s) so it soaked into my bones a bit. Watching the links now as an adult doesn't really hit me the same way. Super psyched to hear the music though. 8)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 am

We got a fair bit of it in Oz, maybe I got more than most as my mum was very keen on us watching British programs (a lot of Oz TV was brought in from either the UK or US). I've had a bit of an after-the-fact education from my other half as well.

There is a similar hauntological strand in Australian culture but more limited I think. Picnic At Hanging Rock is a good example of it, but it exists more in film and less in children's TV which tended to be brightly coloured and positive more like US kids' TV. You don't get very far back in Australian history before running into colonisation, Terra Nullius etc. and that hampers people's thinking in those areas I believe (and I also think this country is culturally sick as a result of that but that's a topic for a whole other discussion).

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 am

Lovely stuff:

http://www.claypipemusic.co.uk/2020/02/ ... racks.html

"This summer Gilroy Mere will release the follow-up album to his sell-out 2018 Clay Pipe release ‘Green Line’. The new record ‘Adlestrop’ stays with the transport theme, but is inspired by the railway stations lost in the Beeching cuts of the1960s.

On this flexi-disc EP, which is the forerunner to the album, Gilroy Mere plays homage to the deserted railway station of St Leonards West Marina, close to his home in Sussex. The EP comes with a cut-out paper model of the station designed by Gary Willis.

St Leonards West Marina was the first railway station to serve Hastings. It was opened by the Brighton, Lewes and Hastings Railway on November 7th 1846 as part of what became the East Coastway Line. After a chequered history involving feuding train companies it fell into disuse, was eventually closed in 1967 and subsequently demolished. Today there is a carpet warehouse where the station once stood. Although it is rarely noticed and overgrown with Buddleia, the old down platform can still be seen, as the train rumbles past on its way to Bexhill and Brighton."

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 am

^I like that song, but could not pull the trigger on a flexi disc. It's a little too precious for me.

I LOVE the look and feel of all that Clay Pipe stuff. I feel like it's truly special, but some little voice in my head questions it. It's like I feel a little manipulated with the collectible desirability of everything and the actual music becomes a secondary consideration. I try and be a little more choosy with it these days.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:03 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 am
^I like that song, but could not pull the trigger on a flexi disc. It's a little too precious for me.

I LOVE the look and feel of all that Clay Pipe stuff. I feel like it's truly special, but some little voice in my head questions it. It's like I feel a little manipulated with the collectible desirability of everything and the actual music becomes a secondary consideration. I try and be a little more choosy with it these days.
Totally agree. I ordered that flexi-disc more for the additional stuff, but looking at my credit card statement the other day I thought what the fuck am I doing paying the best part of a tenner for a flexi-disc? It's not like I'm actually going to cut out and assemble the model station.

My idiot self jumped on it because I'm conditioned to not dithering when it comes to limited ClayPipe releases and happened to be at my computer when the email came in, unlike the other times when things I've really wanted - i.e. a nice print of the Nightscapes cover artwork - sold out within hours.

At least when it comes to their LPs I can count on my local record shop getting them. I've made the mistake of ordering direct/in advance before and every time the sleeves have arrived with minor damage along the spines from rattling about inside the mailer - a real shame as Frances Castle's artwork is an integral part of every release.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:54 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 am

I bought it and in no way do I feel manipulated by Clay Pipe, it's not as if they're chiselling you, they price very fairly and to be honest while I like the artwork a lot I pretty much hate (or am at least unmoved by) the covers of 90%+ of the records I buy/own so Clay Pipe are more like a nice bonus. I think any feelings like that should really be directed at 'successful' and grandee heritage artist who are the greediest cunts to ever live who all price their vinyl far above the likes of Clay Pipe while offering less and enjoying massive economies of scale. Frances isn't getting rich off this and is I feel doing it for the right reasons.

I'd guess you will be on it in exactly a month for the new Jon Brooks.

I own every thing she's ever put out so I'm possibly not the best person to ask but they are a label I buy without even listening (still not heard this, though the shipping email came in a few minutes ago).

I will build the station...after I get a colour photocopy done.

Folk might want to check out the new Keith Seatman on Castles in Space which just arrived at castle Shadowplay last weekend with the Bernard Grancher cassette (which doesn't fit in here but is a must if you like solo Chris Carter and Colin Potter). Bernard put out a really good single with Laetitia Sadier Vocal on Polytechnic Youth last year.

Folk might want to adjust their coat-hanger aerial and try and get a signal from The Central Office of Information on Castles In Space, sadly it's digital only but you can buy a Compact Disc if you are really retro.

I'll probably come in here at some point and mop up all the stuff this thread has missed since I've been dormant.
mezcalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am

The book is really good I've been gifting it for a couple of years, it's pretty dead on with only the odd omission. It's kinda weird watching your ten year old read it; 'dad...apparently you've got the dodgy version of Escape From Colditz* with the swastikas, it says later versions don't have them'.

It's cost me a fair bit of money with the young uns wanting compendiums of Misty Magazine and some original comics and a few DVD's.

I hope you've all been good boys and girls and santa bought you all a Scarfolk Annual which is bumper fun for kids of all ages.

D

*the board game of kings

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:10 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:54 am
I bought it and in no way do I feel manipulated by Clay Pipe, it's not as if they're chiselling you, they price very fairly and to be honest while I like the artwork a lot I pretty much hate (or am at least unmoved by) the covers of 90%+ of the records I buy/own so Clay Pipe are more like a nice bonus. I think any feelings like that should really be directed at 'successful' and grandee heritage artist who are the greediest cunts to ever live who all price their vinyl far above the likes of Clay Pipe while offering less and enjoying massive economies of scale. Frances isn't getting rich off this and is I feel doing it for the right reasons.

I'd guess you will be on it in exactly a month for the new Jon Brooks.
I agree with this. I think Clay Pipe is more than fair with pricing, the 'manipulate' word might be a bit harsh but I feel like that's more a problem on my side than Clay Pipe's. It's just that some of the stuff is really cool and I want it because it's cool more than for the music sometimes. My budget for impulse purchases is not as robust as it once was so I guess it makes me a little grouchy. Most grandee heritage artists and their bloated offerings don't really cross my radar much, so at least I have that going for me.

Bring on the Jon Brooks! :w00t:

Also I am confident that you're enjoying the new Cold Beat album. I suppose it's not exactly in the sonic spectrum of this tread's topic, but it's not far off. 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:10 am

Also I am confident that you're enjoying the new Cold Beat album. I suppose it's not exactly in the sonic spectrum of this tread's topic, but it's not far off. 8)
I am very much, it's the number one song in heaven at this moment in our house or at least the most played elpee across all the turntables this weekend, though I'm all in on the Electric Sewer Age elpee this morning and plan to rock me Amadeus all afternoon to the new Wrangler.

The Gilroy Mere single came today, it's a lovely little thing though it would be even lovelier if it was a conventional seven inch with all three tracks on it (just Over The Tracks on the flexi) but perhaps they will be on the coming elpee.

It comes with a PDF of the station (with the instructions) so you can just print this up and assemble it.

I'll say this, Oliver Cherer is a talented fella. I've records of him trading as Rhododendron, Dollboy, Australian Testing Labs (which I think you might like), Gilroy Mere and the Assistant.

I ADORED last years I Feel Nothing Most days, it was close to my favourite record in 2019 and it just NAILED that sound perfectly both sonically and lyrically. Consider me disappointed that despite being a limited 500 pressing there's still copies available.

As for grandee pricing I just see the prices in passing and roll my eyes. I mean look at Radiohead, I'd guess they are new grandees and despite all their well publicised disdain for the industry and capitalism their vinyl still seems to be a third more expensive or more than many 200-500 only cottage industry labels.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:01 am

Really enjoying the multiple personalities dwelling within the new Revbjelde elpee Hooha Hubub which wends it's way through lanes of Beefheartian gumbo, sky spangling space folk, glam hokey cokey and library musik magick mirrors.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 am

Still copies of the spring fresh new Jon Brooks on Claypipe, I was in early and thought she'd put her prices up but it seems I'd bought an elpee/tape bundle.

D