Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 am

Venturing forth because there has been a slight tendency towards retro-futurism on OSG from time to time.

Jane Weaver - The Silver Glove

For me it's a magical suite of beautiful pop, wrapping it's mercurial tendrils round Motorik, Kosmiche, Cosmic Disco, woozy Avaunt Folk, leftfield euro cinema scores, library futurism and space lullaby. I adored her last LP The Fallen By Watchbird which was an expansive progfolk concept (you could also buy it as a book) masterpiece but this is her hopping up onto a new plateau.

Very little online but you can listen to samples of the whole LP here.

There's 2 songs up on soundclouds and the LP is produced by David Holmes (btw his soundtrack to 71' is fantastic)

Jane Weaver - Argent (mm saxy!)

Jane Weaver - The Electric Mountain (with slick Hawkwind re-appropriation).

Anyway, it's rocking Castle Shadowplay and fun times have been had gathering round and listening to it together.

Btw the parent label of Bird Records, Finders Keepers is a treasure trove of great music. If you can't find something to like in their pages...

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:48 am

shadowplay wrote:
Very little online but you can listen to samples of the whole LP here.
The sample length is like 20 seconds, and never in the heart of the song. :-/

YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS JANE WEAVER! >:(

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 am

^ ^
Yes
Still, I have an impression that this is quite different from her previous output, different in a good and intriguing way!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:57 am

Juno's samples are representative, they usually give you a minute at least. They are good because they just run through all the samples once you click the first one.

My postman bought this because I had it on when he delivered earlier and stayed for a cuppa! Passed the postman whistling test!

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm patiently waiting for this one, I think it's shipping with something else I pre-ordered but came out later. My daughters liked to do their "Fairie Dances" to her last record, not sure if the new one will evoke the same urges. The samples all meet my approval!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Slow-Pop wrote:I'm patiently waiting for this one, I think it's shipping with something else I pre-ordered but came out later. My daughters liked to do their "Fairie Dances" to her last record, not sure if the new one will evoke the same urges. The samples all meet my approval!
I liked to do my Faerie Dances to the last record! Though to be honest I do them to pretty much any record! :D

This one's really good fun, it not fluffy or anything and it's got that interesting core but I can't stop smiling when it's on.

I was going to buy one earlier as a gift and the FK shop was picked clean.

Sorry you have got a wait for it, one of the the flaws at Finders Keepers is only releasing the digital at shipping time. I've emailed them in the past about this and they have changed the status so I got the DL but held off shipping the physical for a bit.

D

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Its streaming in full at The Quietus

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 am

fakeplasticdreams wrote:Its streaming in full at The Quietus
There, that will please the Jaguar.

Touring with Laetitia Sadier and coming to my town at a venue I can get the Shadowplay teen massif into!!!

I saw an amusing wee trailer when I was checking the Tour Dates.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 am

As far as the genre of 'space rock' goes I find myself wanting to go further adrift. She's in the asteroid belt and I want to go to Neptune.

I've been forever ruined by Broadcast. :'(

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:20 am

Jaguar018 wrote:As far as the genre of 'space rock' goes I find myself wanting to go further adrift. She's in the asteroid belt and I want to go to Neptune.

I've been forever ruined by Broadcast.
I don't spend any time wistfully looking back, I love Jane for what she is, not for what she isn't and I love the Space Disco elements, the sense of fun and other wee touches she has on this LP, just like the last one was an interesting take on Folk and a reaffirmation of the Album as a piece. I like Broadcast as much as the next man, I bought The Book Lovers when it came out and followed their whole career but Trish is gone and she left behind a canon of great work to enjoy. Did you buy Children of Alice?

There's always Death and Vanilla, the gorgeous retro-future pop of Hong Kong in the 60's and all sorts of interesting stiff coming out labels like Ghost Box, Finders keepers and the like anyway. If you want something with less glitter in it's eye shadow buy Vampyr. This stream link is to a cassette release but it comes as a 2X12.

Btw at the moment I am totally HOT for the theremin packed Night Terrors, who are very Giallo Goblin and I definitely draw from the some of the same influence pool as Broadcast. There is a downside if you want the vinyl, the new one is pretty normal in price but if you want Back to Zero, it cost me just over £30, which must be near $50 which is fair chunk of change for one record. I have no idea how I missed them, I was apparently told about them a while back but somehow it went in one ear and out the other.

Check them out!

New LP is 'Pavor Nocturnus' which was recorded using the southern hemispheres largest pipe organ. Sample track Megafauna.

Other LP's

Back to Zero

The Glass Eyes

The Dream Eater

Spiral Vortex

The Devil Played Backwards

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 am

I have Hong Kong in the 60s, some Death and Vanilla, and I snoop around (and buy/enjoy) Ghost Box stuff.

We've chatted about this before. I have no qualms or personal rules about wistfully look back, forwards, sideways, or any other direction. I generally want expansion, but I am quite happy to delve into old favorite albums as well. I'm not trying to get Broadcast clone v.2, but I am trying to find bands that consistently interest me as much, on their own terms, with solid output. I don't really know what the criteria is until I hear it-- there is this blend out there that works for me-- but it's this amorphous blob that changes on its own.

I am grateful that your more expansive tastes cover some of the same ground and lead me to all kinds of cool stuff. 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 am

Jaguar018 wrote:I have Hong Kong in the 60s, some Death and Vanilla, and I snoop around (and buy/enjoy) Ghost Box stuff.

We've chatted about this before. I have no qualms or personal rules about wistfully look back, forwards, sideways, or any other direction. I generally want expansion, but I am quite happy to delve into old favorite albums as well. I'm not trying to get Broadcast clone v.2, but I am trying to find bands that consistently interest me as much, on their own terms, with solid output. I don't really know what the criteria is until I hear it-- there is this blend out there that works for me-- but it's this amorphous blob that changes on its own.

I am grateful that your more expansive tastes cover some of the same ground and lead me to all kinds of cool stuff.

Absolutely fair enough. Btw I don't know if they are touring the US but I really liked seeing Gulp live, they don't have Broadcast style mysterious depths but the were very enjoyable and well worth a trip out to see.

As an even further OT aside, the new Grouper album Ruins is perfect match for the the season as the dark nights draw in and mornings are ever misty, elegantly gloomy. Every month I buy 5 records (sometimes more if I think they should push up) for a few people who can't be arsed looking themselves (and they reimburse me). Grouper is definitely in the box for this month for all three of them.

Whole LP streaming.

D

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Jaguar018 wrote:I have Hong Kong in the 60s, some Death and Vanilla, and I snoop around (and buy/enjoy) Ghost Box stuff.

I am grateful that your more expansive tastes cover some of the same ground and lead me to all kinds of cool stuff.

Absolutely fair enough. Btw I don't know if they are touring the US but I really liked seeing Gulp live, they don't have Broadcast style mysterious depths but the were very enjoyable and well worth a trip out to see.

As an even further OT aside, the new Grouper album Ruins is perfect match for the the season as the dark nights draw in and mornings are ever misty, elegantly gloomy. Every month I buy 5 records (sometimes more if I think they should push up) for a few people who can't be arsed looking themselves (and they reimburse me). Grouper is definitely in the box for this month for all three of them.

Whole LP streaming.

D

sorry, thread derail.

New Grouper is really a nice winter album ( even though we have no winters here on my side of the world LOL)

between the new grouper, new upcoming Klara Lewis album, im really2 gonna be broke :unsure:

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:30 am

fakeplasticdreams wrote:
sorry, thread derail.

New Grouper is really a nice winter album ( even though we have no winters here on my side of the world LOL)

between the new grouper, new upcoming Klara Lewis album, im really2 gonna be broke
I loved Ett, thanks for the heads up about it. I listened to a snippet of the new EP, it sounds spectacular, Mego have an incredible roster at the moment.

She's Graham Lewis daughter isn't she.

Btw Jaguar if you want a slightly more spooky side of Jane Weaver check out The Pierre Ralph/Jane Weaver spilt which is part of the second half of the Disposable Music series but can be bought on it's own.

Sample lo0fi Morricone. Jane Weaver - Parade Of Blood Red Sorrows

All the series has merit but I have a particular fondness for;

Emerald Web/Sam Mcloughlin & Alison Cooper - Garden Of Mirrors / Supernatural Lancashire Volume Two

The Fox Moth

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 am

shadowplay wrote:
Btw Jaguar if you want a slightly more spooky side of Jane Weaver check out The Pierre Ralph/Jane Weaver spilt which is part of the second half of the Disposable Music series but can be bought on it's own.

Sample lo0fi Morricone. Jane Weaver - Parade Of Blood Red Sorrows

All the series has merit but I have a particular fondness for;

Emerald Web/Sam Mcloughlin & Alison Cooper - Garden Of Mirrors / Supernatural Lancashire Volume Two

The Fox Moth

Yes. :)