Boltneck acoustic Fenders?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jagermeister
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Boltneck acoustic Fenders?

Post by jagermeister » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 am

LOVE the look of these...

Villagers, Malibus etc... Never actually played one, but they don't seem to go for much... I like the idea of the tweakability of the boltneck too, shim the neck just as desired etc...

Then again I've never been particularly impressed with a non-electric non-solidbody fender even in recent years, without the boltneck, and I hear things about these. Though an electric profile neck really does sound comfortable...

Anyone know about em? Love that pickguard... tempted by one of those multicolored sonorans Fender has atm, but the old boltneck seems cool.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Boltneck acoustic Fenders?

Post by mjet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:52 am

I have two Shenandoahs which are almost like the Villager in the photo but with a slightly wider body. I have one now, the other is being tweaked by a luthier buddy of mine. The one that I have had some body binding separation going on and has lots of checking and is strung up as a 6-string. That same luthier buddy, after setting it up, said that he thought it sounded better than any acoustic guitar that they had in the shop (mostly Takamines, but some fairly high-end models). He also said that he might want to borrow it for a studio session sometime.

I like it too.  ;)

I just bought a Redondo a few weeks back and it'll reside at a friend's place until I get to the US to pick it up. I think that they can be described as decent, a good ways away from a real "serious" acoustic but with old wood they can sound nice too. And as you pointed out, they sell for peanuts. I like the electric-feel necks too.

Lots of 12-strings are being bought and robbed of their F-tuners (which often can sell for more than the whole guitar when parted out). The Shenandoah I have at home had this happen to it. I just had Gotoh Klusons installed and never looked back...

My Redondo:

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

greyman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by greyman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:10 am

My Redondo:

[/quote]

I love those mustache bridges.  :?
At Work -or- Not Online

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:50 am

They were good enough for Bob...

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 am

Here are some catalog scans...

Image Image

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Even though I swear by Fender electric guitars, I have never seen or played a Fender acoustic that I liked.

kle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 am

MrWizard44 wrote: Even though I swear by Fender electric guitars, I have never seen or played a Fender acoustic that I liked.
The same with me here, they all sounded so...cheap. And they weren't. :-\
Kind of muddy, unbalanced.