show us yer hollow/semi-hollow guitars.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: show us yer hollow/semi-hollow guitars.

Post by Debaser » Mon May 18, 2020 9:37 am

wproffitt wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:59 pm
Debaser wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Here’s a few of mine. Apologies if I posted in here already :blush:
Debaser,
What IS that bridge on the Starcaster?
It’s a solid bar dBridge. The guy takes my TOM saddle settings and mills them into a solid piece of brass or aluminum. Great stuff, and not for players who change string gauges, tunings or setups. I’m pretty locked down in mine, I have other guitar for alternate tunings. Weirdly enough, this bridge was made for my Supro Westbury, which I sold. I only adjusted this bridge for the 9.5” radius and it’s 99 percent dead on.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm
This thread got me GASsing for a model, that I've always wanted.
Single cut Guild Starfire III with DeArmond single coils. Hard to find one, as always.
I feel the same about you for the SF-III. I’d sell my SF-V for it.

Not too long ago I bought a new set of the Guild/Cordoba Dynasonics, and put them in my Streamliner pictured above. I compared them to my vintage Dynas, T-Armonds and the Gretsch repros, as well as the FMIC DeArmond 2000s. They are the deal, kinda on the lite side, but priced well. At that time, I saw both gold and white, nickel and black, and nickel and white DeArmond Dynas. The white/nickel version gave me hope they were releasing a single coil SF-III in a true hollowbody format, with a Guildsby. So far nothing.

Still, with the white and nickel Dynas being available at the Guild site, it would not be difficult or even a permanent mod to swap the LB-1s for a Dyna. All one would need is a custom adapter plate, and it wouldn’t be that noticeable aa the width has a difference of 0.05”. The length of the Dyna is shorter the ring by 0.24”, or about 0.12” on either side of the pickup. I seriously thought about doing this with my SF-V, and if the routes are the same on the SF-III, the footprint of the Dyna would cover the width of the hole, and adapter/shims would only need to stick out maybe 0.11” from the Dyna base. I also would need to fill the old mounting holes and drill new ones, but that’s easy and also reversible. The only other variable is the neck pitch and set height. Being fully hollow though, and based on my SF-V (I could do it), it will take the Dynas no problem.

Anyways just a thought!

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Debaser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Single cut Guild Starfire III with DeArmond single coils. Hard to find one, as always.

Not too long ago I bought a new set of the Guild/Cordoba Dynasonics, and put them in my Streamliner pictured above. I compared them to my vintage Dynas, T-Armonds and the Gretsch repros, as well as the FMIC DeArmond 2000s. They are the deal, kinda on the lite side, but priced well. At that time, I saw both gold and white, nickel and black, and nickel and white DeArmond Dynas. The white/nickel version gave me hope they were releasing a single coil SF-III in a true hollowbody format, with a Guildsby. So far nothing.

Still, with the white and nickel Dynas being available at the Guild site, it would not be difficult or even a permanent mod to swap the LB-1s for a Dyna. All one would need is a custom adapter plate, and it wouldn’t be that noticeable aa the width has a difference of 0.05”. The length of the Dyna is shorter the ring by 0.24”, or about 0.12” on either side of the pickup. I seriously thought about doing this with my SF-V, and if the routes are the same on the SF-III, the footprint of the Dyna would cover the width of the hole, and adapter/shims would only need to stick out maybe 0.11” from the Dyna base. I also would need to fill the old mounting holes and drill new ones, but that’s easy and also reversible. The only other variable is the neck pitch and set height. Being fully hollow though, and based on my SF-V (I could do it), it will take the Dynas no problem.

Anyways just a thought!
I'm cracking up over here as we've been jumping back and forth between forums, love it.

Anyway, despite having the '62, I was also considering trying to get one of the newer NS Starfire III's and dropping DeArmonds in it as a more gig ready guitar/for whenever mine needs a neck reset and is out of commission. I passed up on multiple black SFIIIs and now I can't find any that aren't brand new and tagged at MSRP.

Either way, some people have done it with success, check it: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php ... re.195317/

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm

rbrcbr wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Debaser wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:

Anyways just a thought!
I'm cracking up over here as we've been jumping back and forth between forums, love it.

Anyway, despite having the '62, I was also considering trying to get one of the newer NS Starfire III's and dropping DeArmonds in it as a more gig ready guitar/for whenever mine needs a neck reset and is out of commission. I passed up on multiple black SFIIIs and now I can't find any that aren't brand new and tagged at MSRP.

Either way, some people have done it with success, check it: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php ... re.195317/
Lol yeah I have to check myself because I lose track of what I posted when and where, and in response to whom :.

MSRP is a little to steep IMHO, I grabbed my SF-V as new, probably b-stock so a steal of a price. It’s a good one, dark fretboard and light weight. I hear some of them can be pretty heavy.

I think I saw that guitar in pic searches, but the SF-III bug hadn’t bit yet. Still a good option to me, though I’d prefer the TVJs. Cost-wise, two Guild Dynas for the price of one TVJ is the way to go for me. Shoot I’ll buy anyone’s Cordoba LP-1 bridge pickup if they do convert. I still think those pickups have great, even if a little dark for my style. I refuse to give up on them. Right now I’m testing it with a Gretsch-style Hot Rod circuit but with a 1meg MV pot (push-pull blows off the volume-tone stacks). I already swapped positions, and turned the blade coils outward. It’s a winner! Thinking about joining Guild Talk but seems I’m stretched thin as it is—I only have one Guild :shifty:

kbrittain789
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kbrittain789 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:23 pm

Just got my first semi-hollow body today, a Gretsch Streamliner G2655T Jr. I've already ordered some new Gretsch chrome tone and volume knobs and a chrome switch tip, which I think will look pretty great!

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 am

Debaser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm
rbrcbr wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Debaser wrote:

Anyways just a thought!

Lol yeah I have to check myself because I lose track of what I posted when and where, and in response to whom :.

MSRP is a little to steep IMHO, I grabbed my SF-V as new, probably b-stock so a steal of a price. It’s a good one, dark fretboard and light weight. I hear some of them can be pretty heavy.

I think I saw that guitar in pic searches, but the SF-III bug hadn’t bit yet. Still a good option to me, though I’d prefer the TVJs. Cost-wise, two Guild Dynas for the price of one TVJ is the way to go for me. Shoot I’ll buy anyone’s Cordoba LP-1 bridge pickup if they do convert. I still think those pickups have great, even if a little dark for my style. I refuse to give up on them. Right now I’m testing it with a Gretsch-style Hot Rod circuit but with a 1meg MV pot (push-pull blows off the volume-tone stacks). I already swapped positions, and turned the blade coils outward. It’s a winner! Thinking about joining Guild Talk but seems I’m stretched thin as it is—I only have one Guild :shifty:
Man, once it bites, it's hard to shake off. As much as I want a vintage SFV, I'd take a black SFIII over a black SFV immediately.

And sorry, when I said DeArmonds, I meant the custom shop Seymour Duncan Dynasonics or a set of vintage DeArmonds, not the new Guild White tops. Granted, I haven't tried the new "DeArmonds" yet but I can't imagine they sound better than T-Armonds or real DeArmonds. The pickups in my '62 are incredible and I'd want the closest thing to that tone (I think). Supposedly the Duncan set is pretty spot on for a vintage set, but they're also like $450 :fp: I had T-Armonds in a Gretsch hollowbody for a bit and surprisingly enough it was darker sounding than I thought it would be. Looking back at the demo video I did, they sounded pretty great recorded but live it felt like they lacked what I was looking for. I bought the '62 SFIII a couple months later and that was the tone I was looking for.

But, you could always argue another guitar -> may as well have a different tone available. The other thing is these vintage DeArmonds are pretty bright and I worry for higher volume live use they might be a bit harsh sounding, so maybe the T-Armonds are worth a shot again just for that reason. Also I'm thinking the DeArmond mount T-Armonds might sound different than the Filtertron mount, which is what I had in my Gretsch.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri May 22, 2020 8:02 am

kbrittain789 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:23 pm
Just got my first semi-hollow body today, a Gretsch Streamliner G2655T Jr. I've already ordered some new Gretsch chrome tone and volume knobs and a chrome switch tip, which I think will look pretty great!

Congrats! Dig that finish. Now that you've gotten a hollowbody, there's no turning back ;)

RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RobDux » Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 am

This is my second hollow/semi hollow guitar (along with a Sheraton I posted a looooong time ago in this thread).
It's a 1961 Hohner Kingsway. From what little info I managed to find about these, I think it's pretty similar to some Vox guitars of the same sort of age.
From how loud it is and how much the top of the thing is warped I think it's pretty much completely hollow.
There's no honest way I can tell anyone it's a good guitar; the body's core/rim is split, it's bent along it's length (the last photo just about shows the crease down the back), top's warped, the bridge is propped up on one side with card, the frets are tiny, some of them are lifting out of the fretboard, acoustically it has all the sustain and body of a banjo, but......... it is so much fun to have around. There's just something about it that I can't explain.

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Tue May 17, 2022 11:21 pm

Almost two years gone and no posts in this thread....

Refretted this one last week, also cut a new bone nut and put new strings on...

Plays, butter, etc :)

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Wed May 18, 2022 1:42 am

a trio of semi-hollow sparkles:

Sparkle Motion Swoon

DiPinto Belvedere:

Epiphone WildKat Turqoise Sparkle Relic:

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 am

'66 ES-330

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Wed May 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Happy to keep this thread awake with mine!

So, I had this made (by local builder, Bob Scott) around 22 years ago and like a peach, it's improved over time. Sustain blooms like a good semi should, playability is smoother.

It's obviously a 'Gitsch' or a 'Grebson' depending on what you see first. (Like those 3D pictures.) I had certain design points I wanted but others were decided during construction. As there's an interest in that on OSG, here's a little more detail.

The body was two hunks of mahogany, glued down the centre, then cut to shape. The cavities were then routed leaving the back, sides and centre intact. A curved piece was added to the centre-block with a maple top glued to edges and middle.

The neck is a 5-piece laminate with dimensions copied from my main squeeze, an '89 LP Jr. We copied the fret-markers from an old guitar on a calendar somewhere. I still love them.
Fingerboard is ebony, binding is old celluloid.

The P90s are handwound using '60s alnico slugs, ex NZ's biggest guitar maker, Jansen.
Controls: one knob is a 5-way tone circuit but now is disabled as I have plainer tastes. (And I can do more with less these days.) Then master volume and tone. Lower bout control is pickup balance and pulls up for out-of-phase.
The ruby markers are exactly that. From the gem-store. :w00t:

Pickguard, truss-rod cover and trem detail are all leather, the tremolo is an old Ibanez B7-alike. Bridge is a Schaller roller. Trem sticker from a friend in HK.
The back and sides are dark antique burst.

The only thing I think I got wrong is the smaller headstock/Grover Imperials equation. I did try some gold tulip knobs but they stuck out too much. Today I would have the headstock made bigger but meh.

Enjoy!
DD

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Wed May 18, 2022 2:56 pm

pacemaker wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 am
'66 ES-330

Nice, love the look of that grill cloth. Is that an oval speaker underneath?

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Wed May 18, 2022 3:04 pm

DaddyDom wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Happy to keep this thread awake with mine!

So, I had this made (by local builder, Bob Scott) around 22 years ago and like a peach, it's improved over time. Sustain blooms like a good semi should, playability is smoother.

It's obviously a 'Gitsch' or a 'Grebson' depending on what you see first. (Like those 3D pictures.) I had certain design points I wanted but others were decided during construction. As there's an interest in that on OSG, here's a little more detail.

The body was two hunks of mahogany, glued down the centre, then cut to shape. The cavities were then routed leaving the back, sides and centre intact. A curved piece was added to the centre-block with a maple top glued to edges and middle.

The neck is a 5-piece laminate with dimensions copied from my main squeeze, an '89 LP Jr. We copied the fret-markers from an old guitar on a calendar somewhere. I still love them.
Fingerboard is ebony, binding is old celluloid.

The P90s are handwound using '60s alnico slugs, ex NZ's biggest guitar maker, Jansen.
Controls: one knob is a 5-way tone circuit but now is disabled as I have plainer tastes. (And I can do more with less these days.) Then master volume and tone. Lower bout control is pickup balance and pulls up for out-of-phase.
The ruby markers are exactly that. From the gem-store. :w00t:

Pickguard, truss-rod cover and trem detail are all leather, the tremolo is an old Ibanez B7-alike. Bridge is a Schaller roller. Trem sticker from a friend in HK.
The back and sides are dark antique burst.

The only thing I think I got wrong is the smaller headstock/Grover Imperials equation. I did try some gold tulip knobs but they stuck out too much. Today I would have the headstock made bigger but meh.

Enjoy!
DD
Cool as. The headstock is great imo, provides reduced string angle...

Are you saying the P90s came from a Jansen guitar? Or just the pole pieces?

2groggy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2groggy » Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm

I've built a few...

A BassVI archtop acoustic:

A hollow archtop 30" scale bass:

A semi-hollow Starcaster bass (bonus points for being an offset):

And a flat top acoustic 5 string reverse Firebird: