Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Spiteface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Spiteface » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:51 am

My two a Squier Classic Vibe (top) and Baja (bottom). Had them for over a decade. Forget how good they are until something compels me to pick them up for the first time in ages. Recently it was a new amp acquired last week, which I'm enjoying the sound of pretty much anything I plug into it. Maybe it's the honeymoon period or something.

Every guitarist needs a good tele somewhere in their arsenal, even if they play a style of music that might not suit a tele normally. You'll find a use for one.

I am thinking of doing something to the Squier. Part of me wants to convert it to an Esquire. I like single-pickup guitars too, having had a Gordon Smith, an LP Junior style guitar, for about 3 years. It's hotter than the Baja, but the baja does all the tele tones I want and a bit more. An Esquire with that bridge pickup could be fun.

Then I start wishing it had a fatter neck, as that was what led me to buying the Baja a year later. Oddly, it's also heavier than the Baja, so I get thinking about a lighter, maybe chambered body. By that point it'd just be Trigger's Broom, though. So I'll stick with the Esquire conversion if I do anything to it.

I'm also wanting a Noventa tele, and a J Mascis tele. With the latter I might just get a blue sparkle body and mirror pickguard for the Baja. That way I'll have the out of phase sound the Mascis has but not lose out on the classic tele middle setting.

Yeah, I've got the tele bug again...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:14 pm

Trade in the Squier! A lightweight Tele is magic!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:33 pm

My AO60s Tele is on the heavy end for a Tele (8lbs) but it still feels light compared to my offsets.

I agree with having one around even if it might not be what you'd normally use. Having recently recorded my bands new EP I found the tones I got from the Tele to be utterly fantastic and just what was needed to compliment my Jazzmaster when doubling up for choruses etc.

If if was to pare down again I'd probably aim for just having my JM and the Tele now. Those are my go-to's...even over my 64 Jag
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:10 pm

Agreed, I was a Tele-hater for many years.

Then this little guy totally caught me off guard:

I didn't know I needed a Tele. It just came up at the right moment for me for an irresistible price. I had expected to gut it for parts (it's a partscaster, itself) but it's just too perfect as-is to touch anything on it.

It's not "pine Tele" levels of light, but it's light and extremely resonant with a chonker of a neck. It's also silent, with a dual-voice set of lovely Fishman Fluence pickups. I've said it before, but if I had to sell every single other guitar I own, I could be perfectly happy with this one.

I like a lot of individual features much more on my Offsets (like the comfort of a forearm contour, the warble of a vibrato, or the ease of fretting on my shortscales) but a Tele is truly more than the sum of its parts. There's just a solidity and simplicity to it that none of my other Fenders share. I get why Esquires are a thing after playing this (though the neck and middle positions are so lovely on it that I'm certainly not giving them up).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:50 pm

I’m a sucker for the telecaster, in complete honesty. So much so that I mostly think of myself as a “tele guy” way ahead of any other instrument…present forum focus wholly included.
It’s brutally honest, sometimes brash, awkwardly simple, and somehow it’s totally rock and roll.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:48 pm

I love Teles - not only for their tones & simplicity in their build. It's also because they make me a better player. They're brutally honest - when you hit a bad note/chord, a Tele doesn't sugarcoat it (unless you have it swamped in effects).

I hadn't added my AV II 1963 Tele to this thread. I'll always prefer a chunkier neck but the 1963 "C" shape neck is super comfortable. With this and some of my other guitars with slimmer necks, I'm finally realizing that, for me, the neck shape doesn't really matter that much when I play it while standing. Sitting, I prefer the chunkier necks. Still falling for this beastie more and more every time I pick it up. :)

Sidenote - I can't thank my wonderful wife, Shannon, enough for sewing more of these cotton cloth covers for the guitar hangers. For Christmas, she made about 48 pair for me. While I already had some covering my hangers, these new ones replaced the rest of my old cloth pillow case ones that she made a few years back. :-*
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 am

3's company? Picked up a 3rd Telecaster last month

Player Plus Nashville (cosmic jade), American Elite (ocean turquoise), American Professional II Deluxe (mercury)

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Anyone know much about 90s custom shop Teles?

Classic Japanese listing… little info. Not sure about original case or COA. But the bigger headscratcher is DiMarzio pickups, incl. a PAF in the neck. Of what looks to be a ‘52 model. Any chance at all those would be stock?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:26 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Classic Japanese listing… little info. Not sure about original case or COA. But the bigger headscratcher is DiMarzio pickups, incl. a PAF in the neck. Of what looks to be a ‘52 model. Any chance at all those would be stock?
See if you can get a serial number from the seller. Fender keeps pretty good records of CS instruments. I don't know what year it started, but they now routinely keep a copy of the "floor traveller," which is basically the spec sheet that accompanies the guitar throughout production.

In the past, I've contacted their customer service via email with a serial number, and they've been able to tell me everything about it from stock pickups to the neck profile. Hugely helpful in deciding whether I wanted to make an offer.

Only took them a day or so to respond, too, so you should totally give them a shout.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:33 pm

Embenny wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:26 pm
sal paradise wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:01 pm

See if you can get a serial number from the seller. Fender keeps pretty good records of CS instruments. I don't know what year it started, but they now routinely keep a copy of the "floor traveller," which is basically the spec sheet that accompanies the guitar throughout production.

In the past, I've contacted their customer service via email with a serial number, and they've been able to tell me everything about it from stock pickups to the neck profile. Hugely helpful in deciding whether I wanted to make an offer.

Only took them a day or so to respond, too, so you should totally give them a shout.
Amazing, thank you!
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 am

I started playing on a Tele. Still have it, it's a 1998 Mexican Nashville Telecaster. I constantly forget what a lovely Guitar it is.
But i got the Itch for another T-Style. I'd wish there were more Models available with Contours. Or just a slimmer Body.
Why do they need to be so thick? An Offset Tele is sadly no Option, i have enough Guitars in this Shape.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:36 pm

skeletonsmith wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 am
I'd wish there were more Models available with Contours. Or just a slimmer Body.
Why do they need to be so thick? An Offset Tele is sadly no Option, i have enough Guitars in this Shape.
G&L ASAT models can be special ordered with a thinner body and contours.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:34 pm

Yeah, I was a dedicated Tele hater too, until a 3-bolt G&L ASAT totally blue me away. I’ve had a couple since then, but here are the most recent.

This white one is a partscaster I put together from a countoured roasted ash Warmoth body and an Allparts V neck with Hipshot tuners. The pickups were the handiwork of Tim, an OSG alum. The bridge is a cut down Gotoh. It was an absolute cracker of an instrument, and my main gigging guitar for a couple of years. I really regret letting it go, but it eventually turned into my ‘79 Strat via a couple of trades, so I guess it’s ok?

The American Performer is currently my only Tele. I think they’re super underrated. The stock Yosemite pickups sound great, and I love the neck, which is weird because I generally don’t dig skinny necks. The only upgrades are a Gotoh bridge with compensated saddles and an Electrosocket jack plate.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:43 am

skeletonsmith wrote:
I'd wish there were more Models available with Contours.
All 3 of mine have the back contour (photo is just a few posts ago). I can't do without it!

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:29 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:36 pm
skeletonsmith wrote:
I'd wish there were more Models available with Contours. Or just a slimmer Body.
G&L ASAT models can be special ordered with a thinner body and contours.
A G&L would be actually the Dream, but unfortunately way out my Price-League. Wish there was a Tribute-Model with contours. I love my Doheny.
Futuron's beautiful Tele's are also too expensive.

Has anybody ever played a FGN Iliad?