Are Chinese made Tokai guitars crap?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are Chinese made Tokai guitars crap?

Post by devnulljp » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:11 am

shadowplay wrote:I noticed that any arguments against this post skirted round the ethical component. Seriously, it should be a source of shame to buy Chinese made guitars or Chinese amde anything unless there is literally no alternative. Even if you couldn't care less about the conditions the workers endure you should care how this erodes the US domestic guitar production. It's all part of the thin wedge that sees jobs move overseas to the lowest bidder.
Yes that's kinda what I was getting at but didn't want to get into the standard Wal-Mart argument as that always causes bad feelings on all sides. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said though -- offshoring your slavery is bad for ethical reasons and then offshoring your economy is bad for reasons of self interest.

EDIT: Yup, I see that can of worms has already opened.

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am

Worms can be dangerous Image

Want to hear something funny? Over on the gear page there are now people complaining about counterfeit Tokais! No not the Tokais made for Tokai in China, but cheap fake counterfeits of the guitars that are made for Tokai in China! :D That tickles me no end! The point of this is be very very careful when buying a "too good to be true" Tokai. It's every bit as dangerous as buying a too good to be true Gibby!
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...

nwordjim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nwordjim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 am

blueavenger wrote:Worms can be dangerous Image

Want to hear something funny? Over on the gear page there are now people complaining about counterfeit Tokais! No not the Tokais made for Tokai in China, but cheap fake counterfeits of the guitars that are made for Tokai in China! :D That tickles me no end! The point of this is be very very careful when buying a "too good to be true" Tokai. It's every bit as dangerous as buying a too good to be true Gibby!
Yeah and people were saying the same thing about Tokais back in the 1970s. You're always gonna find someone who gets bent out of shape by one thing or another. The sad thing is allot of the wood used in guitars is basically raped from Africa. I love how people get hoiler than thou.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 am

nwordjim wrote:The sad thing is allot of the wood used in guitars is basically raped from Africa. I love how people get hoiler than thou.
You might be on to something, why not move the guitar factories to Africa and save the fuel used shipping the rapings? Forget paying people cash, those Africans will work for some rice and a blanket.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

nwordjim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nwordjim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 am

shadowplay wrote:
nwordjim wrote:The sad thing is allot of the wood used in guitars is basically raped from Africa. I love how people get hoiler than thou.
You might be on to something, why not move the guitar factories to Africa and save the fuel used shipping the rapings? Forget paying people cash, those Africans will work for some rice and a blanket.

D

Oh change the record please. You're just trolling now. How old are you, honestly?

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 am

nwordjim wrote:
shadowplay wrote:

D

Oh change the record please. You're just trolling now. How old are you, honestly?
Guy with a username like yours says "what?"

nwordjim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nwordjim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 pm

blueavenger wrote:

Guy with a username like yours says "what?"
What?

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Exactly!Image

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm

This thread is a hoot. And possibly a holler; it'll have to run a little longer before that decision can be made. :D
nwordjim wrote:Oh change the record please. You're just trolling now. How old are you, honestly?
You're accusing Shad of trolling because he's better at debating than you? That's a pretty lame argument. He's actually staying on topic as far as I can see it and is being polite and reasonable.

Forum 101: Remember, when you start a thread you're sure to have people who disagree with you join the discussion. That's part of the forum concept. Often when you have different opinions from the next guy, it can be a) an opportunity to learn why he/she has that opinion (could be drawn from personal experience for example) and possibly challenge your own preconceptions, making it a beneficial experience or b) argue that you're right no matter what, waste people's time and learn nothing. Basically, if you're doing the latter and not keeping an open mind, what's the point?
"Feast our eyes on lower things
When suffering is craving the light"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

Soochdaddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soochdaddy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm

blueavenger wrote:Exactly!Image
LOLZ!

Fished In!! Fished In!!

Beautifully set up, blue...
"I want to be able to purchase gin in bulk at Costco on a Sunday. So I totally voted." - chrisrnps

"Always socks on cocks-as to protect my low hanging guitar from getting 'cock rash' when playing in the nude, of course." - basique

nwordjim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nwordjim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Soochdaddy wrote:
blueavenger wrote:Exactly!Image
LOLZ!

Fished In!! Fished In!!

Beautifully set up, blue...
Yeah because that's exactly what happened you tool.

Soochdaddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soochdaddy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:28 pm

nwordjim wrote: Yeah because that's exactly what happened you tool.
Oh, come on now. No need for name calling. I have the right to dig on a good ol' fashioned Wayne's World reference and have a laugh, no?

Speaking of name calling, I believe you had posted this just a few back:
nwordjim wrote: How old are you, honestly?
:whistle:

Take it easy, man. Good luck finding a nice Tokai... take your time to find a good one that suits you.
"I want to be able to purchase gin in bulk at Costco on a Sunday. So I totally voted." - chrisrnps

"Always socks on cocks-as to protect my low hanging guitar from getting 'cock rash' when playing in the nude, of course." - basique

koreasilver
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by koreasilver » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

shadowplay wrote:

D
The Africans would probably get much more from this compared to how the Western world still continues to rip them off on their natural resources. Calling Tokai out is fucking ridiculous to begin with. Tokai is a large company that pays their employees probably just as well as regular Gibson employees, and their product has the same quality if not better than Gibson for a better price. The only ripoffs here is Gibson with their failed lawsuits against other companies and using illegal wood. Buying from Gibson is supporting a company that sells products of lesser quality for a higher price while engaging in more illegal activities than their superior imitators.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 am

Who needs a Rolls Royce Phantom? My beautiful Geely GE is superior in every way.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 am

shadowplay wrote:Image

Who needs a Rolls Royce Phantom? My beautiful Geely GE is superior in every way.

D
Do you drive it with the fog-lights on all the time?