Anyone else infatuated with their Acoustic?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else infatuated with their Acoustic?

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:31 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:19 pm
Dok wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:07 pm
Oh wow. You aren't going to find one these days for much less than double that. For $1k I'd take a gamble online.
The wood is bubinga on the back and sides, and I think that's got to be the least popular of them all. They made the Bozeman J-100s in a lot of different woods, with the usual maple, but also in rosewood and mahogany, this bubinga, and I'm even seeing here that they used sycamore on some of the very early ones (this is worth looking at).
Wow!

Also, I’m gonna downtune even more tomorrow & see where that gets me.

(Probably selling an electric to fund a 2nd acoustic)
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:17 am

I appreciate everyone's input! Seeing so many people gushing about their acoustics just gives me that fear of missing out. Sounds like I shouldn't rush it, and need to get hands-on with some different stuff (although I feel a little timid about trying out acoustics in store). I really want to limit it to one guitar that I can join in being infatuated with, and avoid falling into the rabbit hole that ends in hoarding.

Also I tried that open C tuning once (on electric) and it was interesting! That's definitely a direction I could go with on this.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:26 am

tammyw wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:17 am
I appreciate everyone's input! Seeing so many people gushing about their acoustics just gives me that fear of missing out. Sounds like I shouldn't rush it, and need to get hands-on with some different stuff (although I feel a little timid about trying out acoustics in store). I really want to limit it to one guitar that I can join in being infatuated with, and avoid falling into the rabbit hole that ends in hoarding.

Also I tried that open C tuning once (on electric) and it was interesting! That's definitely a direction I could go with on this.
I never saw an acoustic as more than a chord strumming device until I got a mid-priced tanglewood. Slim neck, low action, full sounding. Then I realised what an acoustic could be. They’re joyous things when you find one that feels right.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:51 pm

tammyw wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:17 am

Playing in open tuning can make things easier in some ways, this is not super complicated or anything but as far as a guitar only composition it certainly is a complete package, it's got multiple voicings on it, dissonances, etc. Might not be anyone's thing but when you have the guitar tuned to a chord or something it can be kind of freeing.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:57 pm

I found a good deal on a Yamaha FSX5. I've ordered one to come mid next week. Free returns means it's pretty risk-free too.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:10 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:57 pm
I found a good deal on a Yamaha FSX5. I've ordered one to come mid next week. Free returns means it's pretty risk-free too.
There you go- looks like a great guitar!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:10 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:57 pm
There you go- looks like a great guitar!
Indeed. Every single review online is overwhelmingly positive and all the demos sound great and very familiar to what I have. Solid mahogany back and sides, solid spruce top, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard... All the ingredients for a half-decent acoustic guitar.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:49 pm

For a long time I was mainly focused on my electrics. While I owned a few acoustics in the past I only used them occasionally with my band and never got attached to them. Still, I've learned a lot about acoustics during the 10+ years working as a repair guy for a music store.

Two years ago I was looking to find an inspiring acoustic as a keeper. I prefer the sound of Gibson style instruments like a J45 or similar. I've tried a lot of guitars in a single afternoon testing session in my preferred guitar store. While I played quite a few Martins, Gibsons, Atkin and Bourgeois guitars, the one that really jumped out to me was a Gibson J45 '42 Banner. It wasn't setup well with a high action so it wasn't easy to play but the sound and dynamics were excellent and the bridge had enough room to lower it. While quite a bit over my budget I got a good deal from my previous employer and was able to trade in a few guitars and amps.

After lowering the action and a change to Martin Monel nickel wound strings I love it and it's indeed a keeper. I don't play it as often as my electrics but every time I pick it up it truly inspires me to play. I've used it for a few acoustic gigs and recording sessions and it always worked great.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:45 am

I’ve been playing in open C for 2 days now & I never want to retune my acoustic :ph34r:

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:49 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:45 am
I’ve been playing in open C for 2 days now & I never want to retune my acoustic :ph34r:
I might have to try this.

My only problem with alt tunings is (apart from double drop D) I always end up sounding like Sonic Youth! ;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:20 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:03 pm
I guess we all saw mine on the other thread but since this is a Guild thread now.

Not to bore people too much with returning to my guitar, but I have to say, I've had a lot of acoustics and this Guild is probably the best sounding of all of them. It's just wonderful. A lot of acoustics have sound that decays into kind of a metallic whine, you have to put your guitar up to your ear to hear it but it's something a microphone might capture.

Not this one, though, it stays rich and warm all the way through the decay. Like an organ or something.

This was a great choice. Maybe there is something to Adirondack spruce after all, although I never really noticed anything with my previous New Hartford Guild that had that.

Regardless, consider this a recommendation.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:58 am

Re: micing, it’s always interesting what acoustic works best in a recording.

Very often it’s not the “good” one.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:20 pm

Bought a Taylor 214ce yesterday :whistle:

I’m hoping it sounds as good as the videos. Acoustic with a cutaway though, not sure how I feel about that .

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:26 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:20 pm
Acoustic with a cutaway though, not sure how I feel about that .
Some offhand comment about cutaways on here got stuck in my head and it helped set wheels in motion to get a different acoustic.

My advice: if you love the sound of your guitar, play it, enjoy it and tune out anti-cutaway thoughts-- BUT if you don't-- use the cutaway as an excuse to get something else. :shifty:

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:38 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:26 am
sal paradise wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:20 pm
Acoustic with a cutaway though, not sure how I feel about that .
Some offhand comment about cutaways on here got stuck in my head and it helped set wheels in motion to get a different acoustic.

My advice: if you love the sound of your guitar, play it, enjoy it and tune out anti-cutaway thoughts-- BUT if you don't-- use the cutaway as an excuse to get something else. :shifty:
YOU say I look like a total nobber with my cutaway acoustic. But when I’m getting those sweet bends on the 17th fret during my solo, you’ll be regretting that snap judgement, I know it.

Is that why people have cutaways, for solos? I joke, yet the realllllly good debut album by Turin Brakes is almost ruined by a pentatonic acoustic solo… :ph34r:

I have seen Laura Marling do some pretty high up finger picking, so we’ll all pretend that’s why I need it. Thanks.