Anyone else infatuated with their Acoustic?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else infatuated with their Acoustic?

Post by sal paradise » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:25 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:22 am
sal paradise wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:12 am
JSett wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 am

Is it photography you do? For some reason I have that in my head
I wish I did something creative in the traditional sense. I can’t even really explain what I do; consulting, designing training and comms campaigns for businesses. Like marketing, without proper budgets.
Well, I'm sure you can find a way to write off against your taxes a guitar as a 'prop' or 'research material'....there's lots of sneaky ways hahaa

I did it last year by buying a guitar & using it as a reference to draw a tattoo design :D :D
Yes, well I propose a lot of film & animation. So it would be perfectly natural that I record sound & put original backing over the visuals… ;D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 am

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:25 am
JSett wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:22 am
Well, I'm sure you can find a way to write off against your taxes a guitar as a 'prop' or 'research material'....there's lots of sneaky ways hahaa

I did it last year by buying a guitar & using it as a reference to draw a tattoo design :D :D
Yes, well I propose a lot of film & animation. So it would be perfectly natural that I record sound & put original backing over the visuals… ;D
You're getting it ;) ;)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:33 am
This is what’s going on at the back & why I got it cheap-ish for a 200 series. Plus no battery cover.
I’ve got this up for sale, although seems minimal interest. Realised I can get a new battery holder for £5. Done.

So I was thinking. What if I took some super light grit sandpaper & tidied up the flaked edges, then add a few coats of poly and tried to sand it to a level finish?

Maybe try and use some super on the buckle rash & smaller finish issue.

I’m sure it would look weird. But less awful than the exposed wood. Or is that just a recipe for making it harder to sell?

Something like this…?

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:59 am

I have been primarily an acoustic player since I began playing back in 1957. For about 20-25 years in the middle of that time I didn’t even own an electric, or care to.

I don’t even care for the sound of plugged in A/E guitars.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:14 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm

I’ve got this up for sale, although seems minimal interest. Realised I can get a new battery holder for £5. Done.

So I was thinking. What if I took some super light grit sandpaper & tidied up the flaked edges, then add a few coats of poly and tried to sand it to a level finish?

I’m sure it would look weird. But less awful than the exposed wood. Or is that just a recipe for making it harder to sell?

I personally would not feel I had the skills to do it, and I wonder if it would really solve the problem. If the issue is that the finish didn't bond to the wood properly because some moisture got between the two, then I wonder if the problem is persistent still.

Obviously the real fix would be to just refinish it all.

Your approach might look good, or might not, might fix it, or might not. It might be good enough for a sale if you didn't disclose your home remedy, but if I saw on a listing that someone with no experience tried to fix it this way I would just move on, there's no shortage of 200 series Taylors to choose from (of course yours is left handed so maybe more scarce).
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:22 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:14 am
sal paradise wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm

I personally would not feel I had the skills to do it, and I wonder if it would really solve the problem. If the issue is that the finish didn't bond to the wood properly because some moisture got between the two, then I wonder if the problem is persistent still.

Obviously the real fix would be to just refinish it all.

Your approach might look good, or might not, might fix it, or might not. It might be good enough for a sale if you didn't disclose your home remedy, but if I saw on a listing that someone with no experience tried to fix it this way I would just move on, there's no shortage of 200 series Taylors to choose from (of course yours is left handed so maybe more scarce).
I’d assumed it would look like a diy repair. But I’ll take your advice & leave it alone for someone else to deal with. Thanks 😊