I'm back... 56 Les Paul Custom

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I'm back... 56 Les Paul Custom

Post by JSett » Fri May 03, 2024 9:49 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:04 am
JSett wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm
uncluded
When your uncle gives you quaaludes.

:D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri May 03, 2024 1:04 pm

So, I have a few options here after giving it some deep thought...

1) admit defeat and sell it. It's currently valued at about 25k so I could spend 6k on a CS replica at about 8-8.5lbs, put 6k towards our holiday to Japan next year, 6k to the mortgage and then pop 7k into my savings/investments

2) keep it, play it, endure the back pain

3) keep it in a case and stash it as an investment (boring). But that contradicts my 'you could die tomorrow' mentality with gear.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 03, 2024 1:49 pm

It's difficult for me to post in this thread, as this is basically my dream guitar, and I would never consider selling mine, but from all I've been reading in this thread lately I would just sell it if I were you.

The only reason to own expensive guitars like this, (which are a liability for theft at home or at a gig, a pain to find the right person to work on etc etc) is being 1000% in love with it...sound is just part of owning an instrument, if it doesn't feel right (be it neck shape or weight), move it on.

Ultimately it is just a guitar...a really, REALLY cool guitar, but still, a guitar...the only thing unique in this situation is landing it for not that much money...that is unlikely to happen again...but is it enough of a reason to keep it?

Your plan of what to do with the money sounds good (I've always wanted to go to Japan, and could have gone there for a gig with my old band probably but never did)...although I would skip the CS replica and just get a refin or broken headstock 50s LP Jr for a similar sound that is lighter weight for probably the same or less money as the CS replica.
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri May 03, 2024 2:10 pm

zhivago wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:49 pm
It's difficult for me to post in this thread, as this is basically my dream guitar, and I would never consider selling mine, but from all I've been reading in this thread lately I would just sell it if I were you.

The only reason to own expensive guitars like this, (which are a liability for theft at home or at a gig, a pain to find the right person to work on etc etc) is being 1000% in love with it...sound is just part of owning an instrument, if it doesn't feel right (be it neck shape or weight), move it on.

Ultimately it is just a guitar...a really, REALLY cool guitar, but still, a guitar...the only thing unique in this situation is landing it for not that much money...that is unlikely to happen again...but is it enough of a reason to keep it?

Your plan of what to do with the money sounds good (I've always wanted to go to Japan, and could have gone there for a gig with my old band probably but never did)...although I would skip the CS replica and just get a refin or broken headstock 50s LP Jr for a similar sound that is lighter weight for probably the same or less money as the CS replica.
Sound-wise, it absolutely kills it. It's a glorious sounding instrument... And it's definitely the nicest guitar to play that I own (almost effortless) and somehow has made me play a lot more lead style than just cowboy chords, punk or noise rock. But it definitely doesn't bring me that much moneys worth of enjoyment. The weight is just a real bastard.

It's a dream guitar of mine too, as well you know from our messages a year or so ago, and to finally own one is wild. I don't even really consider the cost it owes me.

The Japan trip is something me and my wife have wanted to do almost since we met, and next year is our 20th anniversary so we decided to just go for it - but need 10k to do it properly so the chunk I could contribute towards the fund from this thing would take us pretty much up to where we need to be to start booking and planning.

I've decided to get it booked in with Yuki @ Player Grade and get the serial reinstated so at least it's in as good a shape as possible. Then I can move on things any time I want. No point making big decisions until that's done. Im not in a position where I need the money but I could find uses for it.

I like the junior idea, and it's one I already contemplated. Along with trying to find a cool 60s Esquire. I dunno, we'll see

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm

JSett wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:10 pm
Sound-wise, it absolutely kills it. It's a glorious sounding instrument... And it's definitely the nicest guitar to play that I own (almost effortless) and somehow has made me play a lot more lead style than just cowboy chords, punk or noise rock. But it definitely doesn't bring me that much moneys worth of enjoyment. The weight is just a real bastard.

It's a dream guitar of mine too, as well you know from our messages a year or so ago, and to finally own one is wild. I don't even really consider the cost it owes me.

The Japan trip is something me and my wife have wanted to do almost since we met, and next year is our 20th anniversary so we decided to just go for it - but need 10k to do it properly so the chunk I could contribute towards the fund from this thing would take us pretty much up to where we need to be to start booking and planning.

I've decided to get it booked in with Yuki @ Player Grade and get the serial reinstated so at least it's in as good a shape as possible. Then I can move on things any time I want. No point making big decisions until that's done. Im not in a position where I need the money but I could find uses for it.

I like the junior idea, and it's one I already contemplated. Along with trying to find a cool 60s Esquire. I dunno, we'll see
You are definitely in a great position to do so much and it is all positive, just enjoy the ride...and lord a 60s Esquire could be a life-changing experience!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri May 03, 2024 3:47 pm

Hey Johnny - have I got news for you! I recently came across what I am pretty sure is ANOTHER 1956 Custom, pretty reasonably priced too. The good news is that it weighs only about 8 pounds! I have to put a few parts back but I thought I would share some pics:
I might have to take it to your restoration guy because I think the Gibson logo has come off? Along with the serial number.
However that's made up by the fact that it has one of these aftermarket strengthening plates added - play with confidence!
I'm down for a trade because I don't mind heavy guitars. Will let you know when I've got it ready to go.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri May 03, 2024 3:59 pm

MattK wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:47 pm
My interest is piqued! Seeing as the deal is clearly in my favour I'll book the flights and bring it to you. Fair is fair.

That neck strengthening plate is genius. Makes mine seem like a fucking toy.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri May 03, 2024 4:04 pm

OK - just for you I will hold it until you get here, but don't test my patience.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri May 03, 2024 4:05 pm

MattK wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:04 pm
OK - just for you I will hold it until you get here, but don't test my patience.
I'm on skyscanners as we speak

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon May 06, 2024 9:42 am

Well, slight change of plan.

I spoke to Yuki at Player Grade Vintage and he's not taking any new work until the autumn/winter which is a bummer. But he explained the steps and suggested doing it myself :wacko:

He's put me in contact with the man who makes the serial stamps (of which I've ordered one) and gone through it briefly. It's not too complicated really:

1) cut back paint edge on the damaged area
2) grain fill (oil based)
3) sanding sealer
4) a few light coats of black nitro
5) stamp serial with white nitro
6) tinted clearcoat over the top
7) buff then age subtly

I already have all the paint here somewhere, and sealer. So apart from the stamp I just need to get a small tin of grain filler (about £5). The guy with the stamps is the only guy and it cost me £65 with shipping. Annoying as there was a person on eBay selling for about £14 but he's been out of stock for months and months, and no reply to messages.

Now, am I confident enough? I've done full refins before - not amazing ones, but they looked alright. One was that old red 65 Mustang mutt that I painted pelham blue and sold on here, that came out pretty good considering it was actually my first. It's a 3" x 2" area, it cant be that hard. Right? :D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 06, 2024 9:59 am

Bummer that Yuuki can't take it on... :(

If you intend to sell it, I would advise against doing this yourself...whoever spends big £££ to buy it will likely want a pro to fix the serial.

If you try and do it and it doesn't come out right whoever will look at buying it would have to factor the cost of getting it done right, which is probably even more complex (|and may use it as a bargaining chip to beat you down on the price).

The vintage Les Paul crowd is really picky about just about everything, so tread carefully if you do decide to DIY this one.
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon May 06, 2024 10:24 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:59 am

If you intend to sell it, I would advise against doing this yourself...whoever spends big £££ to buy it will likely want a pro to fix the serial.

If you try and do it and it doesn't come out right whoever will look at buying it would have to factor the cost of getting it done right, which is probably even more complex (|and may use it as a bargaining chip to beat you down on the price).

The vintage Les Paul crowd is really picky about just about everything, so tread carefully if you do decide to DIY this one.
Oh, don't worry, this is something I'm being extremely cautious about, and still haven't decided what to do. The stamp is kind of needed probably to anyone who does it. Yuuki was actually pretty throwaway about the whole situation:
It's a really simple job mate, bread and butter stuff, the stamp takes 15 seconds and the rest is just basic finishing
But when I spoke to him in February he said:
But you want someone who's very familiar with vintage, and not just regular Gibsons
...so that's 2 different tones there, slightly contradictory of each other. Open to suggestions from anyone for other people who can do the work obviously. I've had two suggestions so far: Andy Warnock down in Kent and LA Guitars in N. London.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 06, 2024 12:57 pm

Hmmm...I've had no experience with Andy Warnock, although I have bookmarked his site oddly enough for when I might need some guitar work...I see good things online, and he is sort of near me, just a few stops away on the train...I am yet to find a decent repair person in London that hasn't fucked up something on one of my guitars at some point, so I am working through the list it seems! :wtf: :fp:

There is https://www.josephkayeguitars.com which I've been following on Facebook for a while and he has done some finish work for people on the Gear Page that looked nice...I especially remember an early 60s SG Std he re-finished white. Might be an option.

It's tricky, as for anything vintage Gibson my choice would always be Yuuki...he straightened a couple of 50s ABR-1 bridge for me a while back and he is really knowledgeable for all things vintage Gibson with a no-BS attitude that I've always liked. :)
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon May 06, 2024 1:03 pm

Yeah Andy is supposedly the go-to guy by UK guitar 'stars' and has very little online presence seemingly deliberately as his work is retarded enough to be purely word of mouth. I've played guitars he's refretted and they have been impeccable.

I'll put Joseph Kaye on the list.
zhivago wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:57 pm
Yuuki...he straightened a couple of 50s ABR-1 bridge for me a while back and he is really knowledgeable for all things vintage Gibson with a no-BS attitude that I've always liked. :)
The no bullshit attitude I got from him too, and other people saying he's direct and no nonsense, was what made me seriously consider his suggestion of just doing it myself. But I'm not convinced even so.

I've sent a couple of emails out. I guess we'll see what comes back.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 06, 2024 1:23 pm

JSett wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:03 pm
Yeah Andy is supposedly the go-to guy by UK guitar 'stars' and has very little online presence seemingly deliberately as his work is retarded enough to be purely word of mouth. I've played guitars he's refretted and they have been impeccable.
Very good to hear this, especially as my LP could use a fret dress...might just drop him a line and see what his availability is. :)
Resident Spartan.