Boo-Teek Geetars

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Boo-Teek Geetars

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:19 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:33 am
I am also in the camp of why would you pay so much for a boutique guitar that is just a copy of an already mass produced Fender / Gibson etc?

If you're going boutique go all out with new designs or materials, companies like Aristides , Motor Ave ,TTTides , Baguley ,Electrical Guitar Company.

The only ''boutique'' guitar I own is an Electrical Guitar Company Custom 500. It's worth it to me for an entirely original design, pickups, and heavy use of alternative materials rather than a copy of at least 50 year old designs.
For me it's all about the neck and the way it feels, plays and the fretwork. There's never a Fender neck that feels that great to me unless it's vintage.
I don't need any new guitars. In fact, I need to downsize. I have a nice '56 AVRI Strat neck. I like the way it feels with the rolled edges but the vintage frets are ehh and I'm pretty sick of 7.25" radius necks. The neck was a gift so I don't want to sell or trade it. I think i'll just refret it in the near future.

The only brand I like from those you listed above is Motor Ave but they're not for me. A friend of mine has an EGC and it's really great, but still not my thing.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:14 pm

I like the look of the Trent Model 1. It reminds me of the Kay Vanguard, which I love the look of, but without the frustrations, presumably, of a Kay Vanguard.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm

luau wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:14 pm
I like the look of the Trent Model 1. It reminds me of the Kay Vanguard, which I love the look of, but without the frustrations, presumably, of a Kay Vanguard.
I haven't played Model 1, but I’ve played several Vanguards, and to me they don’t seem all that similar. The extra long scale and pancake pickup(s) give it a unique voice. The bridge is the main poorly thought out feature. The rest is typical cost cutting stuff.

Honestly one of the few “worth it” vintage guitars left, and way cheaper than a Trent.

I think the Trent guitar look cool though.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm
luau wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:14 pm
I haven't played Model 1, but I’ve played several Vanguards, and to me they don’t seem all that similar. The extra long scale and pancake pickup(s) give it a unique voice. The bridge is the main poorly thought out feature. The rest is typical cost cutting stuff.

Honestly one of the few “worth it” vintage guitars left, and way cheaper than a Trent.

I think the Trent guitar look cool though.
The Trent doesn’t look all that much like a Kay to me, but it looks a lot like one of PearDreams’ models. Artemis or Apollo?

https://www.instagram.com/faxguitars?

He’s made at least one with a baritone neck, if that’s what you mean by long scale?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm
He’s made at least one with a baritone neck, if that’s what you mean by long scale?
No, I was talking about the Kay Vanguard. I had to look the scale length up because I couldn’t remember. It’s 25 3/4” according to the internet.

Getting back to the boo-teek guitar chat and “sweet” spot middle pickups I have a strange attraction to the Rick Turner Model T, but I suspect the horseshoe pickup probably isn’t great ergonomically.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:50 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm
No, I was talking about the Kay Vanguard. I had to look the scale length up because I couldn’t remember. It’s 25 3/4” according to the internet.

Getting back to the boo-teek guitar chat and “sweet” spot middle pickups I have a strange attraction to the Rick Turner Model T, but I suspect the horseshoe pickup probably isn’t great ergonomically.
Ruby guitars have some serious Kay Vanguard vibes!

https://www.rubyguitars.co.uk/models-2

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:05 pm

Providence Guitars two guys in Peckham hand-building guitars from scratch.

I’ve been eyeing up their set neck model

Other offsets…

Last edited by sal paradise on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:06 pm

I'm a fan of boutique guitars, but I can understand people being hesitant to spend that much money on a one-off.

I have a Bilt (that I bought used) and an Abernethy (that I commissioned). They are both wonderful guitars, but are they better than my Fenders? I'd say in some ways yes and in some ways no, but I'd buy boutique over vintage any day of the week. Having worked with my hands for most of my life (bicycle mechanic, machinist and welder), I am an appreciator (and have a weakness for) of people who make things. I'd rather have my money going to someone making a living making cool/beautiful things (when I can justify and afford it) than a huge corporation.

The downside is definitely that the resale value is not great on these boutique guitars unless you have one of those "IT" brands, but I don't purchase things with resale value in mind... :blush:

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:39 pm

javier-san wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:06 pm
They are both wonderful guitars, but are they better than my Fenders? I'd say in some ways yes and in some ways no, but I'd buy boutique over vintage any day of the week. Having worked with my hands for most of my life (bicycle mechanic, machinist and welder), I am an appreciator (and have a weakness for) of people who make things. I'd rather have my money going to someone making a living making cool/beautiful things (when I can justify and afford it) than a huge corporation.
This is my train of thought as well. Of all the guitars in my house, my parts-tele that features a 1972 Thinline neck and a '55 style Guitar Mill body is my favorite. That neck's profile feels perfect in my hand. I've had that neck on various bodies since 1994. No matter what body it's attached to, it always sounds great. It needs some fretwork but it just feels so good as-is. I wish I could have that same profile on my Strat and Jazzmaster.

The boutique builders who emphasize on neck feel are the ones I'm attracted to. I'd probably like a Danocaster but you can't buy one with your personal specs so what's the point? I really just want a great strat so I think buying some nice parts from Guitar Mill and tweaking it is my best bet.
I don't think a Grosh is what I really want, I just don't mind them.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 am

If I could justify spending that kind of money on a guitar, I'd probably go for an UMA Jetson: https://www.instagram.com/umaguitars/
They're local to me and I love that design. I mean, come on :? :? :?

I also like the look of some Kauer models, the Rhoney Oceana and the Jennings Voyager deluxe.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:00 am

Firecat wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 am
That thing is perfect :?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 am

I really want a '61 style Stratocaster. Who's the hottest gunslinger in town now? Obv Danocaster is not in the running since he doesn't do custom orders. Who's no.1 atm?

I'm going to dump a lot of gear this year and just get what I want... obv not vintage but vintage reproduction

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:52 pm

IMO, Whitfill is top notch, right up there with Dan's.

Whitfill Guitars on Reverb.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:38 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 am
I really want a '61 style Stratocaster. Who's the hottest gunslinger in town now? Obv Danocaster is not in the running since he doesn't do custom orders. Who's no.1 atm?

I'm going to dump a lot of gear this year and just get what I want... obv not vintage but vintage reproduction
The nicest Strat I have ever played was a K-Line. Ash body with a blonde finish. It had that beautiful resonant/woody but 3D thing going on and sounded great in all 5 positions.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:52 pm
IMO, Whitfill is top notch, right up there with Dan's.

Whitfill Guitars on Reverb.
I hadn't heard of that brand, thanks Maggie!
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:38 pm

The nicest Strat I have ever played was a K-Line. Ash body with a blonde finish. It had that beautiful resonant/woody but 3D thing going on and sounded great in all 5 positions.
I forgot about K-line, thanks!

There's a shop near me called Angel City that has a few Mario Martin's in stock. I'll check those out too.