NGD: 2002-ish AVRI Custom Telecaster OTM

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 2002-ish AVRI Custom Telecaster OTM

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 am

This has already found a home with an OSG-er. Quick turnaround I know, but I'm not making any money on it and I know better these days to just trust my gut.

I might grab one of those MIJ Hybrid Teles as an alternative, those seem nice
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:19 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 am
This has already found a home with an OSG-er. Quick turnaround I know, but I'm not making any money on it and I know better these days to just trust my gut.

Like I said a day ago,
Embenny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:13 pm
There are only two certain things in life. Johnny selling a guitar he bought within the last 6-24 months, and it going for a very reasonable price.
This was a quicker turnaround than average :D

Nothing wrong with making a quick call, though. Sometimes a guitar can be perfectly good without being a good fit. My recent ES-335 springs to mind. That one was out the door nearly as quickly as this Tele. I heard from the buyer just a week or two ago and he is in love with it, so all's well that ends well.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 am

Embenny wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:19 am
JSett wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 am

Like I said a day ago,
Embenny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:13 pm
There are only two certain things in life. Johnny selling a guitar he bought within the last 6-24 months, and it going for a very reasonable price.
This was a quicker turnaround than average :D

Nothing wrong with making a quick call, though. Sometimes a guitar can be perfectly good without being a good fit. My recent ES-335 springs to mind. That one was out the door nearly as quickly as this Tele. I heard from the buyer just a week or two ago and he is in love with it, so all's well that ends well.
Yeah, I can't say I am overly happy with having such a reputation - almost feels like a character assassination :D It's certainly the quickest for me that wasn't actually intended as a flip. Normally I last a month or two.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:46 am

I truly didn't mean it as such! If anything, I think it reflects well on your character that you don't gouge people when you let things go.

I'm no different in the way I pick things up and conclude they aren't for me, I just let them accumulate for far too long and then undergo a massive purge. I think your approach is better, frankly. You never let large numbers of unused guitars accumulate, which is not something I'm proud of.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:22 am

Embenny wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:46 am
I truly didn't mean it as such! If anything, I think it reflects well on your character that you don't gouge people when you let things go.

I'm no different in the way I pick things up and conclude they aren't for me, I just let them accumulate for far too long and then undergo a massive purge. I think your approach is better, frankly. You never let large numbers of unused guitars accumulate, which is not something I'm proud of.
Hah! I honestly didn't take any offence, I know what I'm like.

I'd no doubt have a plethora of unused guitars if I had the space. My hand is forced by necessity

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 am

Yeah, I can't say I am overly happy with having such a reputation - almost feels like a character assassination :D It's certainly the quickest for me that wasn't actually intended as a flip. Normally I last a month or two.
Well, the flip side is me, who owns that beautiful Telecaster on the previous page, I keep messing with it, keep investing in it, and it just will never be a guitar I like all that much. But I'll keep it, I guess.

I thought it would be my #1, but it's not even my #1 Telecaster. For some reason the strings always feel loose on there. I use mediums, I have a one degree shim, I've used at least three different bridges on it.

The smart thing to do would have been to sell it. But I usually love the AVRI Fender stuff so much I really can't resolve why I don't like this one.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:06 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 am
Well, there's been plenty of money thrown at it for sure just from the parts I can see!

Sometimes the stars just don't align I guess. You could probably sell it for a decent amount to some very happy country dude with all those accoutrements!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:41 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:06 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 am
Well, there's been plenty of money thrown at it for sure just from the parts I can see!

Sometimes the stars just don't align I guess. You could probably sell it for a decent amount to some very happy country dude with all those accoutrements!
Right? I just can't accept that I don't like that guitar. I keep thinking, this time, it'll be different, every time I pull it out. And it never is. Then I pull out my run of the mill basic black American Standard and I just love it.

I gotta get that one back together. It's gutted and waiting to get a new wiring harness, I made it a three pickup guitar.

Anyway, good you got out when you did. If you don't connect with it pretty quickly I find you might not ever- you know guitars, you know what will work for you and what won't, so you did the right thing.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:02 am

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:51 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:41 am
Right? I just can't accept that I don't like that guitar. I keep thinking, this time, it'll be different, every time I pull it out. And it never is. Then I pull out my run of the mill basic black American Standard and I just love it.

I gotta get that one back together. It's gutted and waiting to get a new wiring harness, I made it a three pickup guitar.

Anyway, good you got out when you did. If you don't connect with it pretty quickly I find you might not ever- you know guitars, you know what will work for you and what won't, so you did the right thing.
I can totally understand this. I have had a couple of guitars over the years with which I went through the same process. They were so nice "on paper" that I just couldn't pull the plug on them. I just kept juggling parts around and trying different things to try to make them work.

It never did. One of them ended up disassembled with the parts unused for years (because I still couldn't bring myself to sell them), and I reverted the second one to stock and sold it unceremoniously.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:53 pm

So, I pocketed 2/3 of the sale money* from this into the gear savings fund and replaced it with something much more pedestrian and simple. A MIM Classic 60's. Upgraded with 'Texas Specials'. Those wont be in there long :D

*I'm actually taking a hit on the OTM as I bought it without any bridge and electronics but have agreed to install a fresh set for the buyer. I'm fine with that. Karma et cetera

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:36 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:53 pm
So, I pocketed 2/3 of the sale money* from this into the gear savings fund and replaced it with something much more pedestrian and simple. A MIM Classic 60's. Upgraded with 'Texas Specials'. Those wont be in there long :D

*I'm actually taking a hit on the OTM as I bought it without any bridge and electronics but have agreed to install a fresh set for the buyer. I'm fine with that. Karma et cetera
I had a stripped Classic 60's a while back that was incredible, no word of a lie. But something real-lifey came up and it had to go, but my God that thing was killer.
There's a black one on Reverb that I put on offer in on but the seller wouldn't budge- it's up for too much. Great models.