"Tom DeLonge Strat reissue confirmed"

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Tom DeLonge Strat reissue confirmed"

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:05 pm

The thing that always bothered me about these is the fact they still use the standard Strat output jack. It would be easier and cheaper, look better and be more functional, if they stuck it into the guard like a JM/Jag/etc in all that blank real estate where the tone pots would have been.

Strat jack's are ugly and impractical beggers and one of the 2 main things that stop me ever buying one.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:51 pm

hopefully the reissue gets this bad boy sold. Poor guy has had it on eBay for a few years and it’s embarrassing for everyone when I see it. He’s got some resilience, I think it was first listed at £600.

*Edit* just realised it’s a 2009… I shouldn’t laugh but I thought the world was over that period of blink 182 by then…? I loved Dude Ranch & Enema of the state, but in fairness I was 15 & 17 respectively.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 am

so i've got 2 friends who are big blink fans. i think a lot of the ideas people currently have in their heads is "oh blink fans are teenybopper pop punk kids" OH NO. not at all. they still have a teenage fanbase but for the most part, it's people in their 30's who are spending the £400+ on reunion tickets. blink 182 are technically now "dad rock" and i'm not joking. if you've been keeping an eye on the market for the old blink signature models, the epiphones have been hitting £1000 and the fenders have been going just as high, if not higher. my mates even know someone who's already got all the original run colours and plans on buying all of the reissue colours.

basically the people who are likely buying these are people who are in their mid 30s and want to relive their teenage years, they work a fairly boring job but it gives them enough disposable income to do so. for the record, my friend's friend who's got all the blink signatures, he works with servers and they keep joking during summer, the dude basically drives his blue honda crx around blasting blink, bowling for soup pretending it's 1999 all over again. i feel this is the millenial version the blooze lawyer who buys a C2 corvette blasting the beach boys.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:10 am

The punk/alt scene I play in and am part of seems to have a LOT of young people into Blink. 23 or under seem to love them

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:23 am

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:49 am

I had to look up who this guy was. :k
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:32 am

JSett wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:05 pm
The thing that always bothered me about these is the fact they still use the standard Strat output jack. It would be easier and cheaper, look better and be more functional, if they stuck it into the guard like a JM/Jag/etc in all that blank real estate where the tone pots would have been.

Strat jack's are ugly and impractical beggers and one of the 2 main things that stop me ever buying one.
And yet every time I see a Strat without a top-mounted output jack it bothers me... Kinda like that ASMR thing where you don't really hear something but something is just bothering you deeply.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:05 am

This thread brought up an old memory I had of when my friend showed me a reverb or ebay listing for an original one for like 1500 and I couldn't help but think that it was wayyy too little guitar for how much the person wanted. I feel the same way. Maybe its just because I'm not a huge Blink fan. The local radio station plays that new song of theirs, Edging, maybe 3 times a day and I have to turn it off. Really dislike that song.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:59 am

shoegaze_head wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:05 am
This thread brought up an old memory I had of when my friend showed me a reverb or ebay listing for an original one for like 1500 and I couldn't help but think that it was wayyy too little guitar for how much the person wanted. I feel the same way. Maybe its just because I'm not a huge Blink fan. The local radio station plays that new song of theirs, Edging, maybe 3 times a day and I have to turn it off. Really dislike that song.
I grew up LOVING Blink, but that new song is garbage. That Eventide + Autotune all over Tom's vocals are horrendous. Apparently Travis "produced" that one song too, and he did a horrible job at it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:35 am

Jonesie wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:59 am
shoegaze_head wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:05 am
I grew up LOVING Blink, but that new song is garbage. That Eventide + Autotune all over Tom's vocals are horrendous. Apparently Travis "produced" that one song too, and he did a horrible job at it.
I never really liked Blink, too bubblegum punk for my tastes, but at least they had a thing going on 20 years ago, a 'vibe' to use the language of the yoof. Travis seems to have musical diarrhoea and it's spreading it's stink over everything.

The old songs were 'meh', the new stuff is fucking garbage. BeLonge's in the bin*

*(you can have that one for the bank)

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:37 pm

I never got the appeal of Blink 182. When I had my punk music phase it was all NOFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion and No Use For A Name. Blink were too juvenile in comparison.
I was a 18 year old fan of grunge and noise rock, when I got a gig with a punk band that played the above bands’ music. I was never really a punker and never kept up with the genre after leaving that band, but I never liked Blink, that much I know.

I do like this Strat though, got to be honest. Stripped down and in cool colours. The Graffiti Yellow is LOUD, but really nice at the same time.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:39 pm

JSett wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:35 am
I never really liked Blink, too bubblegum punk for my tastes
I think this is my biggest gripe with them. When I think of music I like that I consider pop punk think of like Descendents, The Dead Milkmen, and Jawbreaker. To me these bands have good poppy songwriting but at the core have a good punk feel, whereas I feel like Green Day and Blink are like pop with a punk coat of paint. Granted I've only really heard the popular songs by Green Day and Blink so maybe they've got some deep cuts that I would like.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:17 pm

shoegaze_head wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:39 pm
JSett wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:35 am
I never really liked Blink, too bubblegum punk for my tastes
I think this is my biggest gripe with them. When I think of music I like that I consider pop punk think of like Descendents, The Dead Milkmen, and Jawbreaker. To me these bands have good poppy songwriting but at the core have a good punk feel, whereas I feel like Green Day and Blink are like pop with a punk coat of paint. Granted I've only really heard the popular songs by Green Day and Blink so maybe they've got some deep cuts that I would like.
Out of curiosity... If Descendents, the Dead Milkmen, and Jawbreaker are pop punk... What's full-on punk to you?

Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snake Hips » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:13 am

The marketing team at Fender is working overtime getting this to every influencing channel. The amount of video content on Youtube and guitar communities about this guitar is insane. Its just a Strat with an Invader pickup in the bridge. You can put this together for a couple hundred bucks. I get it, Blink 182 was a huge band for people but geez the side by side videos of 2003 and 2023 versions....

Anyway let me know when the Signature Starcaster is released and when aliens land.

queue the WTF Tom Delonge gif

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:01 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:17 pm

Out of curiosity... If Descendents, the Dead Milkmen, and Jawbreaker are pop punk... What's full-on punk to you?
My introduction to punk was through hardcore so I think of like Minor Threat, Black Flag, or Bad Brains when someone just says 'punk'. I don't want to imply that Descendents and the others aren't punk, its just that their songwriting is not quite as stripped down