NGD: Gretsch Duo Jet new pix pg. 5!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Soon-To-Be-NGD

Post by Embenny » Sat May 20, 2023 12:48 pm

I'm so happy you're still enjoying the Bo Diddley. I do miss it sometimes, but I know it's in good hands.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat May 20, 2023 1:24 pm

JSett wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:52 am
I've only played vintage and modern lower-priced Gretches...are the MIJ that big a step up? I'd love a Penguin but they are wild money
I'm no expert but it's hard for me to really imagine anything being much better than the Japanese made Gretsch guitars I've played.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat May 20, 2023 1:30 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:24 pm
JSett wrote:
I've only played vintage and modern lower-priced Gretches...are the MIJ that big a step up? I'd love a Penguin but they are wild money
I'm no expert but it's hard for me to really imagine anything being much better than the Japanese made Gretsch guitars I've played.
Dammit Larry!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 am
Mine is a 2020, and it weighs 6lbs. 13oz!
Cool! Yeah, most Gretsch guitars that I own/have owned have/had decent weights - that Penguin, though, while fantastic, was a heavy one. :derp:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 20, 2023 3:25 pm

JSett wrote:
I'm biased - I feel MIJ Gretsch guitars are superior instruments and a lot of old timey Gretsch owners have said the build quality is fastly superior and consistent to the hit or miss quality of the ones from the 50's, '60s, and '70s. I wish I had gotten a vintage Gretsch before prices skyrocketed. I do have a '65 - '68 Gretsch Astro-Jet body that I had a custom neck made for it, so I got halfway to a full vintage Gretsch.

My Penguin was a fantastic playing guitar and it was definitely was my dream/mid-life crisis purchase guitar at the time. I bought it used from WIldwood, which was how I was barely able to swing it. This was before the recent price hikes. Having to pay down the old gear debt later on, with the Penguin's weight being a particular detriment, it was an easy decision to move it on.

Have you ever had a guitar feeling it was too nice to own? That was my Penguin. I normally hate to baby a guitar but I felt it was necessary to do it with this one.

I can tell you I was quite relieved when I accidentally dinged my 2015 Gretsch Vintage Select '59 Country Club that I won at a Gretsch event. Now I enjoy it without the stress or worry.

If the Penguin is a bridge too far cost-wise, find a used Duo-Jet like Maggie and I bet you'll be thrilled with it.

If you haven't already noticed - fair warning - diving down the Gretsch rabbit hole is just as addictive as Fender guitars. Ask me how I know... :whistle:

Here with their distant cousin Starcaster...

I'm a fan of the MIJ, MIK, MIC, and the MII Gretsch guitars. Yes, quality can vary when compared to the pro line (MIJ) but my less expensive Gretsch guitars (MIK, MIC, and MII) have such mojo and playability. Just like Fender and Squier guitars to me. 8)
Last edited by Surfysonic on Sun May 21, 2023 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat May 20, 2023 3:32 pm

I don't know much about penguins, but I find most Gretsches to be light considering their size and penchant for the giant hunks of metal known as Bigsbys.

Their standard "solidbody" construction is heavily chambered, so even my giant Billy-Bo with its giant Bigsby is extremely light and resonant.

It's still the best-playing guitar I've ever owned, with a close second being Maggie's Bo Diddly. Their Korean guitars are good, but the Japanese ones are spectacular. They just get the extra time and attention to detail that takes a guitar from good to great. I don't think I've ever seen a single spot on one of those guitars that made me think, "Oh, that's a little sloppy," whereas the comparably-priced US-made Fenders and Gibsons regularly do. The fretwork, the fit, the finish, the hardware - it's just perfect every single time.

It definitely has a "more than the sum of its parts" type effect on the final product. I get why people look at them on paper and ask, "how could a Japanese Gretsch justify its price compared to the Korean ones when the specs are similar?" But the reality is that the Japanese guitars, beyond getting higher-spec hardware and electronics, also get a level of attention to detail that is downright PRS-like. That's the big thing you're paying for, and it doesn't come across in YouTube demos or when looking at them online, but it 100% comes across as soon as you lay hands on one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 20, 2023 4:23 pm

+1 to what Mike said. :)

I'll add that Penguins have chambered bracing. Along with the Bigsby, Penguins have the spiffy looking metal/chrome(?) arm rest. As cool as it looks, I found it to be fairly uncomfortable, so YMMV.

The Vintage Select '58 Penguin is a solid body. In the descripion of the new Limited Edition 140 Anniversary model, it says it's also a solid body but in the specs under Body it's listed as a hollow body. This is likely a typo as there are also hollow body Ltd. Ed. 140 Anniversary models.
Adirondack Red Spruce Top with Chambered Mahogany Body

The G6134T-140 Penguin™ solid body guitar features a solid Adirondack Red Spruce top, and chambered mahogany body.
So in the marketing text, they say chambered body but it really means chambered bracing - may be a little confusing/misleading for someone wanting a chambered body.

I forgot to mention that Gretsch has a center-block series of hollow body guitars - https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/bui ... new&page=3.

I think they were started in the Electromatic (MIK) line but there are also center block hollow body guitars in the Pro series and less expensive Streamliner series currently. I found the Electromatic ones to be fairly hefty when compared to non-center block hollow body guitars. If interested in center block hollow body Gretsch guitars and weight is a concern, definitely try before you buy. :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 21, 2023 10:23 am

Embenny wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:32 pm
I don't know much about penguins, but I find most Gretsches to be light considering their size and penchant for the giant hunks of metal known as Bigsbys.

Their standard "solidbody" construction is heavily chambered, so even my giant Billy-Bo with its giant Bigsby is extremely light and resonant.

It's still the best-playing guitar I've ever owned, with a close second being Maggie's Bo Diddly. Their Korean guitars are good, but the Japanese ones are spectacular. They just get the extra time and attention to detail that takes a guitar from good to great. I don't think I've ever seen a single spot on one of those guitars that made me think, "Oh, that's a little sloppy," whereas the comparably-priced US-made Fenders and Gibsons regularly do. The fretwork, the fit, the finish, the hardware - it's just perfect every single time.

It definitely has a "more than the sum of its parts" type effect on the final product. I get why people look at them on paper and ask, "how could a Japanese Gretsch justify its price compared to the Korean ones when the specs are similar?" But the reality is that the Japanese guitars, beyond getting higher-spec hardware and electronics, also get a level of attention to detail that is downright PRS-like. That's the big thing you're paying for, and it doesn't come across in YouTube demos or when looking at them online, but it 100% comes across as soon as you lay hands on one.
Spot-on, as usual! The Bo Diddley is easily one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've owned. Everything about it is superior. For a rectangle, it even sits on my lap perfectly, thanks to its exquisite balance.

Bo Diddley Gretsch Special, March 19, 2021 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 21, 2023 11:24 am

Late to the party but god damn!!

This is my dream guitar! Exactly these specs. Jealous!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Mon May 22, 2023 12:03 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, stunning!

Duo-Jet, yes that's what a I meant, thanks Surfy.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: NGD: Gretsch Duo Jet

Post by Maggieo » Sat May 27, 2023 11:17 am

It's HERE!! Quick phone snaps, right after I opened the case:

Gretsch Duo Jet, May 25, 2023 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

It plays like butter and sounds exactly like a Duo Jet should! Those pickups are astonishing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat May 27, 2023 11:32 am

That’s beautiful. Congrats, Maggie! :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Sat May 27, 2023 1:52 pm

That’s stunning. No doubt it plays as well as it looks, those Japanese gretsches really are something special.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sat May 27, 2023 3:56 pm

It certainly is. Though I must say, I just saw the red Bo Diddley, that one too is STUNNING! Few guitars blow my mind, that one did.

Again, felicitaciones!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat May 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Thanks, guys!!

Wow, it's really something.