NGD: MusicVox MI-5 12-string! Let's get wacky!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: MusicVox MI-5 12-string! Let's get wacky!

Post by PapaB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:13 pm

Lol. Funny and perhaps true. Very cool guitar. Good taste!

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:55 pm

Here it is!

First observations on initial play-through:

1) WHY DOES ANYONE USE THE 6-SADDLE TOM BRIDGE???!? In this day & age (and for the past 3+ decades, really) there are SO many options for a 12-saddle bridge.... so many, many options! Did I mention that the intonation is bad on this? It's bad. I'll try to middle-ground it eventually when I can be arsed to set it up, but I'm kinda put off by the lack of adjustability.

2) Cool color! I love the Surf Green, and this one just kinda glows... very stunning.

3) Dorky shape, but I'm willing to let it slide for originality. Plus, it's not as bad as some of their other shapes which can be downright... phallic? Wang-ish? Inappropriate for children? Anyway... The headstock is pretty overstated, but I didn't feel any neck-dive.

4) The 'hang' on this is rather short- like a Venus or a Steinberger. The bridge sits right close to the butt-end of the body, so the neck tends to feel a bit short, even though it's a full-scale guitar.

5) Plays well, if I can get the intonation adjusted it might actually be a fun guitar! Pickups & electronics sound fine- I was getting some very enjoyable tones out of it. Fit & finish are on par with other modern Korean offerings: Eastwood, Reverend, etc.

Anyway- that's it for now!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 am

Must be good for spy movie soundtracks, since it’s an MI5.
I’ll see myself out.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:40 am

Oh, nice!
One of those was for sale forever on our local used market platform. At some point I was interested in it (and 12 strings in general… and while it ticked some boxes (nice headstock, cool color, pickups and shape) the pickguard and the tailpiece/bridge were turn-offs for me So I didn‘t pursue. It‘s definitely interesting and „something else“! Enjoy!