We've decided Firebirds are not offset, right?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: We've decided Firebirds are not offset, right?

Post by Embenny » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:46 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 am

Or imagine having the non-reverse Firebird already to match it.
I forgot how gorgeous your NRFB is. The black pickguard looks so right on it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 pm

I kinda miss my old NRFB

Wild to think that I paid just £999 for it brand new in 2018. USA built too (not the Japanese 'Ebony' line).
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Embenny wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:46 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 am

Or imagine having the non-reverse Firebird already to match it.
I forgot how gorgeous your NRFB is. The black pickguard looks so right on it.
That one I keep out for a bit, but like Brad says, my other Firebird is cumbersome to just have laying around.

I do not find my Thunderbird to be anything other than a pleasure, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:31 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:01 am
I love to look at and listen to Firebirds, but I find them uncomfortable and large. Also, hard to lug around with how big the hard shell cases are.
It took me a few days to get comfortable too, they feel quite large. I had issues with balance, head dive, the neck seemed to stick out so far. Even if I moved it to a comfortable position it would slide straight back. So I got a thin Souldier strap with a leather non-skid shoulder patch and now it hangs and balances great. Any strap that doesn't slide will help.

I don't use the case, it's like a legless coffee table. I don't drive so I use public transport for rehearsals and gigs. I like Mono style gigbags. Some gigbags for bass are ok but the position of the neck rest for bass often too close to the headstock of a FB. I like the Reunion Blues RBCB4; it has moveable supports for funding a tight fit, great protection, lightweight.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm

Vinkie wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:31 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
I love to look at and listen to Firebirds, but I find them uncomfortable and large. Also, hard to lug around with how big the hard shell cases are.
It took me a few days to get comfortable too, they feel quite large. I had issues with balance, head dive, the neck seemed to stick out so far. Even if I moved it to a comfortable position it would slide straight back. So I got a thin Souldier strap with a leather non-skid shoulder patch and now it hangs and balances great. Any strap that doesn't slide will help.

I don't use the case, it's like a legless coffee table. I don't drive so I use public transport for rehearsals and gigs. I like Mono style gigbags. Some gigbags for bass are ok but the position of the neck rest for bass often too close to the headstock of a FB. I like the Reunion Blues RBCB4; it has moveable supports for funding a tight fit, great protection, lightweight.
Great tips. If I’m ever in possession of a Firebird, I’ll definitely remember this. Thanks!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:20 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:47 pm
Not much to add aside from...I love Firebirds!

Mine is Pelham Blue...

:-*
Gaaaaaahhhh... :? :?
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm
Vinkie wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:31 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:

Great tips. If I’m ever in possession of a Firebird, I’ll definitely remember this. Thanks!
I use one of the Gretsch tooled cowboy straps. The shoulder pad has some friction with the strap portion and once in place the neck dive is nought.

The case IS large, but our bass player has a covered pickup and it's pretty easy to transport our gear.

I am only 5' 10" but I don't find the Firebird abnormally large. However, I have longish arms (my dress shirts are 36" arm length) and it works for me quite well. They also sound like nothing else in this world --at least with the correct pickups.
Last edited by Tafarel on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:36 pm

Yeah, I use a wide suede strap with my SG Standard to stop neck dive. Makes sense it would remedy the issues with Firebirds too.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

doctor_capleson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by doctor_capleson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:16 pm

Firebirds are really cool. As a player, they're not for me. As a live music fan, I am stoked when I see one.

I love their sound and look. I dislike (as a player) the vibrato unit, and the dimensions where it feels like I'm playing a baritone or short scale bass even though it's a regular Gibson scale length.

Also: asymmetric body shape, but the waists are not offset. I'm not the "decider" here as to what gets posted, but take that for what you will.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like mine. It's a "bad one" I think. Late HJ Era. Shallow neck angle, boring headstock, stock pups that needed swapping. But I got a great deal on it so whatever.

Mine is sunburst. There's a red one on reverb rn that's giving me pause. Red ones do nothing for me until they're get a bit beat up. Then they're amazing.

I don't do it though. Too lazzzy.

Anyway. I like mine. It could probably be better. Most probably are better. But this is the one I got. Image

TBH. I'm just over kinda guitar in general rn... and life. Great contribution, I know. I kinda just want to bash on an unplugged digital piano while listening to Thelonius Monk a pretending to play.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:49 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 am
Johnny has beaten me too it , but anyway it is a good excuse to remember Ferbis (edit) our offset mascot. :)

I own everything here but the dog.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:52 am

Alright alright…I’m in.
I just bought an epiphone ibg firebird, one of the new ones with the fb720 (actual firebird, according to most of the web) pickups. I waited and grabbed one on sale for $550, ordered some Gibson plastics (in black of course) from the web and set it up. Once I replace the plastics it will be wholly on par with the ‘19-20 birds with the Grovers, sans the made in the USA stamp on the back of the headstock and the nitro. Which, stacked against the current state of qc at the mothership leans way towards whatever the current blend of poly is that epiphone is using.
This guitar is damn near perfect. It sounds fantastic, it set up in minutes, the finish is smooth and fast and hard as a rock, and again, better than the current gibson nitro (I have a 21 sg).
I do anticipate giving it a year of humidity cycles and having to do some fret work, but even at the cost of that, this thing is still 1/3 the price AND it’s simply phenomenal.

It is, however, taller than my short scale bass when sitting in the rack. It doesn’t feel any more reachy than my V or sg on a strap at all though.
I might be rambling and gushing, but the fb is really an unsung hero in the world of guitar noodling.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:16 pm

Chippertheripper wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:52 am
Alright alright…I’m in.
I just bought an epiphone ibg firebird, one of the new ones with the fb720 (actual firebird, according to most of the web) pickups. I waited and grabbed one on sale for $550, ordered some Gibson plastics (in black of course) from the web and set it up. Once I replace the plastics it will be wholly on par with the ‘19-20 birds with the Grovers, sans the made in the USA stamp on the back of the headstock and the nitro. Which, stacked against the current state of qc at the mothership leans way towards whatever the current blend of poly is that epiphone is using.
This guitar is damn near perfect. It sounds fantastic, it set up in minutes, the finish is smooth and fast and hard as a rock, and again, better than the current gibson nitro (I have a 21 sg).
I do anticipate giving it a year of humidity cycles and having to do some fret work, but even at the cost of that, this thing is still 1/3 the price AND it’s simply phenomenal.

It is, however, taller than my short scale bass when sitting in the rack. It doesn’t feel any more reachy than my V or sg on a strap at all though.
I might be rambling and gushing, but the fb is really an unsung hero in the world of guitar noodling.
Yes! The Epi Firebirds are amazing. A friend of mine has one, and. other than the non-nitro finish, is indistinguishable from my pre-Steinberger Gibson. I am going to pick one up, because at that price it is a no-brainer. I like the Epiphone case better than the ugly brown Gibson, too.

The pickups sound fantastic, as well.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:38 am

windmill wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 am
Johnny has beaten me too it , but anyway it is a good excuse to remember Ferbis (edit) our offset mascot. :)

I have Gibson Firebird V & it’s a great Guitar.. l love the Mini Humbucker Sound.. I want to add the Long Maestro.. I consider it an Offset it’s just a Reverse Offset.. It makes it more dangerous! LOL! 8)

They also make a Non-Reverse Firebird which is definitely an Offset… IMO… I would like one of those too..

That reminds me of my Old Dog who has gone to Heaven… His name was Joe Cocker… AKA Jo Jo….. What a great Pal… I miss him….

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:12 am

I was up all night trying to find a set of these fb720 backups so I can put them in a tele with a short scale conversion neck.
That middle position sounds so damn good if you play it gently.