Does this guitar belong here?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

Does this guitar belong here?

Yes
10%
No
83%
It's complicated
6%

Total votes: 48

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Does this guitar belong here?

Post by Telliot » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:17 am

I can’t imagine the Jazz Bass to JM/Jag ratio is even close, and heavily weighted towards the former. Jazz Basses have been popular since their release, widely embraced across all different forms of music. The same can’t be said for JMs/Jags.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:28 am

Ceylon wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:33 am
dave19er wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:39 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm

Most ubiquitous offset bass maybe, but of overall offset designs, I'd disagree. I'd guess that there are more Jazzmaster and Jaguar players than Jazz Bass players. For most popular bass, I'd almost say that it's 50-50 between Jazz Bass and P-Basses (even though I know that P's are not offset).
You think? I’m not sure there are more Jazzmaster or Jaguar players out there than Jazz bass players. The Jazz Bass has been in constant production since it was created, and I can walk into any Guitar Center or other music store, and pull one off the wall. Or walk into any bar, club, etc, and have a solid chance of seeing a bass player playing a Jazz. It’s one of Fenders two main basses. However, the odds of seeing a Jazzmaster or Jaguar out in the wild are significantly lower. I’ve seen one Jag for sale at my local Guitar Center, and my local boutique shop, Wildwood, normally only has a few Jazzmasters and maybe one Jag for sale at any given time. I just don’t think the production numbers are anywhere close to similar. As one of the two main Fender basses, that automatically makes it one of the most popular basses in the world. But the precision bass is the more popular of the two basses.
The Jazz Bass has been beloved and in steady use since 1962. Players looking for something trendy don't get them, but players of all genres of music looking for something versatile and reliable do. Jaguars and Jazzmasters are still riding a wave of hype that started sometime in the mid-2000s by my reckoning, and that's seen them become the hot choice for a lot of players who'd otherwise get a Stratocaster or something.

They tend to catch the spotlight in a way that Jazz Basses kind of don't because they're so ubiquitous.
Yeah, I’d definitely agree with this. And ubiquitous is a great way to put it. While the p-bass is the most popular Fender bass, the Jazz bass design/layout essentially became the layout for most modern basses (two pickups, in those Jazz-based positions; you can find ones with a p-bass style split pickup, but they’re definitely rarer). While I have two Jazz basses, I have five basses that are not Fenders, but use the Jazz user interface- a Sadowsky, three Modulus, and an Ibanez). While other basses have a two pickup design, like a Hofner or Ric, they’re a really different user interface (even if they were influenced by the Jazz’s two pickups). The Jazz is clearly the inspiration for my five modern basses, much like the Strat is the influence for the superstrats.

I know we’re talking specifically about my comment about the Jazz being the most popular offset design, and I do think that, of Fenders, that’s almost certainly true (considering how ubiquitous they are, I don’t think it’s possible that Fender has built anywhere near as many Jazzmaster/Jags/Bass VIs, or Mustang bodied ones). But, beyond that, the Jazz itself was a hugely influential bass design that effectively set the standard for what a modern has (other than missing a pre-amp).

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:32 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:17 am
I can’t imagine the Jazz Bass to JM/Jag ratio is even close, and heavily weighted towards the former. Jazz Basses have been popular since their release, widely embraced across all different forms of music. The same can’t be said for JMs/Jags.
I missed your post while writing my last one, but I totally agree with this. It’s completely anecdotal, but I’m always looking for 70s Jazz Basses, and always keep my eyes out for 70s Jaguars and Bass VIs. I routinely see 70s Jazz Basses in vintage shops. I’ve never even seen a 70s Jag or Bass VI in real life.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:43 am

haha I voted yes because I misunderstood the question, it doesn't belong in the offset forum... but it does belong to exist!

alalalkasar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alalalkasar » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:06 am

I'm not sure that deserves to exist let alone belong.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:49 pm

CharlieHunterFan wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:46 pm
Seeing this image makes me wonder how the folk at Fender got it so wrong with the Tele headstock.

...I'll see myself out.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.