Are Explorers and Flying Vs acceptable or even cool?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are Explorers and Flying Vs acceptable or even cool?

Post by DeathJag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:42 am
These answers are not helping the GAS
Mine neither. I decided I'd like one after Mike's first round of affectionate posts. Now it's an actual want. Dammit.

Okay here's a question that can only be answered from the dark side - what's a good first buy? I know I'll never fork out more than say, $1000 for one. The Gibsons are way more!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:05 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am
Mine neither. I decided I'd like one after Mike's first round of affectionate posts. Now it's an actual want. Dammit.

Okay here's a question that can only be answered from the dark side - what's a good first buy? I know I'll never fork out more than say, $1000 for one. The Gibsons are way more!
Sorry/not sorry.

I've played and owned an increasingly wide variety of these.

The short answer is to look for/hope for a deal. My original V, a black '67 style from 2012, was under that price - $1100 CAD/$850 USD.

I've since begun to explore other models in both directions, price-wise. If you like korina '58 style ones, Epiphone is the only game in town other than insanely pricey Custom Shop stuff, and they're surprisingly well made. They'd come under budget even with a set of replacement pickups (which are probably something you'd want).

Gibson-wise, there first step up the price ladder is the Melody Maker model from 2011 which has a slab of maple with a single bridge pickup and wraparound tailpiece. They won't scratch the itch for most of what a V will do, though they're slightly smaller and even lighter, so that's a plus if you're into the single pickup thing.

Then you get to the "Faded" models of the 2000s, which are the '67 style and come in a brown satin sort of finish, with very hot stock pickups.

Next in price come the gloss black or gloss white '67 style from the 2000s. Still have the very hot pickups (500T bridge and whatever they call the matching neck - 498R or something?). This is the one I mentioned above.

Roughly around the same price are the 2016 "Pro T" models. These have binding on the body and neck, lower output pickups (57 classic neck and a Burstbucker bridge), gloss black or red top, and satin black or red neck/back/sides. I didn't like this one nearly as much as the '67 style despite my general preferences for binding and low output pickups. Don't know if it's my bias against its looks (which are very, very 80s) or what.

You then run into the 2015 Japanese limited run, which were the '67 style but with covered 57 classics instead of the high output ones on the standard model. They also came in one or two different colours, like a sunburst you never see on Vs. There's one for sale a little ways from me and I'm trying to resist it.

Then, the current flying V, which has a stop tailpiece but a smaller pickguard that's like a hybrid between the 58 and 67 styles. It has low output pickups as well (57 classic/burstbucker, I believe) and has come in dark cherry, natural, black, and olive drab AFAIK.

Above that price range, there's the recent "70s" one which isn't 70s in spec at all - it's just a gloss white 67 style with binding, pickup rings and extremely high output pickups, none of which were characteristics of 70's Vs.

I think I skipped over a couple of limited-run variations (like the B2, which is a gothic-spec variant of the current small-pickguard V), but those are the main ones before you get into older or weirder, and pricier, options.

The Epiphone '58 and Gibson '67 styles are my bang-for-the-buck favourites, but both really benefit from new pickups (at least for my tastes). A good deal on a 2015 Japanese model would be my absolute ideal, since I doubt I'd feel the need to change the pickups, and that era of '67 style V is my favourite in looks and feel.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:05 am
Sorry/not sorry.
Wow thank you so much for posting that! I didn't know a damn thing so that really helps! I like 2-pickup guitars so it seems the Epiphones are the way to go.

Here's a jag vs. V question about ergonomics. Are Vs easy to play like offsets? I tend to rest the side of my palm (directly under the pinkie) on the ridge of the tummy cut on the jags and the JM. I've actually gotten insanely skilled at "string-finding using only touch" because of where I rest my palm. Often my palm isn't even resting on the body, it's just sort of tapping it here and there to "line up" so I can find the string. I practiced with my picking arm straight up over my head, then diving down in one motion and striking the D, or another wound string. And I could do it! But the Vs don't seem to have a good palm-resting spot...

I even went to GC to see if I could hold one but no soap.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sorry/not sorry.
Wow thank you so much for posting that! I didn't know a damn thing so that really helps! I like 2-pickup guitars so it seems the Epiphones are the way to go.

Here's a jag vs. V question about ergonomics. Are Vs easy to play like offsets? I tend to rest the side of my palm (directly under the pinkie) on the ridge of the tummy cut on the jags and the JM. I've actually gotten insanely skilled at "string-finding using only touch" because of where I rest my palm. Often my palm isn't even resting on the body, it's just sort of tapping it here and there to "line up" so I can find the string. I practiced with my picking arm straight up over my head, then diving down in one motion and striking the D, or another wound string. And I could do it! But the Vs don't seem to have a good palm-resting spot...

I even went to GC to see if I could hold one but no soap.
I cant even envision the hand position you're describing here 🤔
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm
Almost like Karate chopping the top of the belly cut. I can't bend my arm too long without pain so I play with my picking arm almost straight. Does that make sense?

Last edited by DeathJag on Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:16 pm

I play with very different ergonomics to that, so I think you'd have to try one out for yourself.

For me, personally, the V is one of the most ergonomics guitars to play. It's feather-light and the TOM is pretty far from the body, which is something I'm used to from Offsets (I find strat and Tele bridges a little weird because they're so close to the top of the body.

That, and the way they default to classical position when you sit down with them - some people really dislike that but it's absolutely perfect for me.

Standing, they just play like a really lightweight Gibson to me. Nothing unusual about the neck position like on a Firebird, and no neck dive like an SG.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:02 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm
Almost like Karate chopping the top of the belly cut. I can't bend my arm too long without pain so I play with my picking arm almost straight. Does that make sense?
That does now with the visual aids, yes. My brain was thinking of it a totally different way and I was thinking "how the hell?!" :D

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:22 pm

Forgot to post this before, Dean Z's, these are definitely cool guitars.

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:48 am

mbene085 wrote:

You then run into the 2015 Japanese limited run, which were the '67 style but with covered 57 classics instead of the high output ones on the standard model. They also came in one or two different colours, like a sunburst you never see on Vs. There's one for sale a little ways from me and I'm trying to resist it.
That's the one I have. They came in 4 colors I think (red, black, white and Sunburst). Important to note that the neck is very thin on those model. Never really bother me, but I will have prefered a beefier neck. It also got a volute. The pickups are ok; not the best sounding humbucker out there, but nothing high output like you said. I think those V's were a bargain at the time, and still are.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:57 am

Upside-down flying Vs aren't though.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:52 am

tribi9 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:57 am
Upside-down flying Vs aren't though.
So how do you explain this?

:ph34r:

:D

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:51 am

Mascis needs no explanation! :fro:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:54 am

Zork wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:52 am
So how do you explain this?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:09 am

i think my shortscale RR style v is cool. it's weirdly the best worst guitar ever. it's got a dimarzio super distortion and a really bad wrap around bridge but the thing slays
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:10 pm

I personally love and play both regularly. To me, there is no particular style of music that can't be played on those guitars.

That being said, I vastly prefer my Shishkov Ultimate or USA Hamer Standards over any Gibson Explorer, with an outside possible exception of maybe the '76-'82 era LE or production Explorers or the '80s Korina reissues, which are pretty cool. I'd take a '70s faux Korina Ibanez Destroyer or Greco over any production Explorer Gibson has made since the early '80s, including that oddly-shaped "76 Reissue" (the body is totally different from a 1976 era guitar and that bugs me!). As far as my Explorer-style guitars go, my Shishkov (#0001, in Atlantic Blue) is very similar to the USA Hamer stuff, but I swear that it's somehow better (Mike DID work at Hamer for over 25 years, so picked up a thing or two before hanging out his own shingle when FMIC killed the Hamer brand in 2014). I've cycled through many Hamer Standards over the years, but am down to a checkerboard 4 digit, a Greenburst 2008 Standard Custom and a Greenburst 8-String Standard Bass. I have a Ferrari Red '84 Blitz Bass, but honestly don't play it much at all. In the end, I find the Explorer-style guitars I play to be the most comfortable, lightweight and all-around killer instruments I've had.

As far as Flying V style guitars, I've got a 90's Korina Vector (in Ferrari Red...I know...sacrilege!), and I've got two Gibson '67 Reissues - one in Dark Metallic Teal and the other is getting refinished in something green, and very well might get metalflaked. The Hamer is essentially a slightly thicker bodied version of the Korina '50s Gibson Vs, and has the gold '58 Style appointments and plays like a dream Mine also has a bound Brazilian board, and bound headstock, which is kinda cool. The Gibsons both have the dreaded '60s style Vibrola...and oddly enough, they hold tune perfectly and are similar to a well-set up Bigsby as far as functionality.

The way I look at it, no matter how long ago or how recently you started playing, how young or how old you may be, or whatever kind of music you play, just play the guitar(s) that YOU LIKE. I rarely (if ever) play Metal these days, and I got into Explorers and Vees because of bands like Cheap Trick, Aerosmith and a bunch of other cool bands in the late '70s/early '80s when I started playing as a kid. With the exception of maybe early (EARLY) Def Leppard, Scorpions and possibly some other NWOBHM or earlier Metal acts, I never really connected those guitars with that style of music.