Mono M80 & Tick. A summary.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mono M80 & Tick. A summary.

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:18 am

That's a lot of stuff to carry with you!

My preferred bag of choice lately is the Reunion Blues "Aero" series.

It's the shortest bag I've found that offers protection similar to a hardshell case--I can fit it into every aircraft overhead bin I've encountered (though the shortest sometimes require a bit of angling to get it to work)

The tradeoff is that the accessory pockets are very small and slim... all cables and any accessories must go in the pedalboard case/bag. But for what I need in a bag (overhead bin stowage is priority #1), this is a worthy tradeoff.

The Aero's accessory pockets house an AirTag and not much else.

Speaking of which--I strongly recommend using one of your aforementioned unused "little secret pockets" for this purpose in case you get distracted and manage to leave your guitar on the tube (I've left gear on the subway before), or in case of theft (I'm not sure a thief would think to check where I've got my AirTag stashed, so it could make all the difference)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:18 am
The Aero's accessory pockets house an AirTag and not much else.

Speaking of which--I strongly recommend using one of your aforementioned unused "little secret pockets" for this purpose in case you get distracted and manage to leave your guitar on the tube (I've left gear on the subway before), or in case of theft (I'm not sure a thief would think to check where I've got my AirTag stashed, so it could make all the difference)
I had been looking at those actually a few weeks back and forgot all about them, that's a very good idea and there's at least 3 places I can think of that would never get found by your average moronic thief unless they really went looking. Thanks for the tip!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:18 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:27 am
cestlamort wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:09 am
rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 am
Nice, I just got a Mono M80 semi hollow dual to carry my Guild Starfire and an Epiphone crestwood at the same time...getting ready to fly for a gig. Waiting on the tick 2.0 to come in but generally excited to have this kit to make it easier to get around nyc with gear. Heavy as hell tho
I almost wish I'd gotten the double one. I honestly haven't used a hard case for any shows since I got my m80.

The cases themselves are not light as well. I found a (used, demo) bass vertigo bag for Ms. Cestlamort, who promptly declined it, as it was waaaaay heavier than whatever generic padded gig bag she uses. (The poor design of which annoys me every time I use it; stupid stuff like putting your arm through one of the shoulder straps and catching it in the handle every single time, etc.)
Yeah, I kind of foresee it being the same thing for me. Easier to carry a gig bag than a hardshell case to a gig, especially when you don't have a car. The M80 dual is great so far but definitely wears you out if you're having to walk a lot with it.
Following up on this - god damn, the tick packed full of pedals adds so much weight to this rig (no pedalboard, just pedals and power supply), fully packed the whole rig is a lot to carry on your back for than a couple minutes at a time. Just overall it was a lot to carry through the airport, and the dual bag (without the tick) didn't fit in the overhead, but I was luckily able to get it stashed in the coat closet (again, without the tick attached). A single M80 is probably fine but the thickness/length of the dual did not work for the overhead.

Otherwise, it's been extremely convenient to haul around basically an entire rig on one bag, freeing my hands to carry a small amp/my bigger pedalboard/whatever else needs to come along. It was perfect for getting the gear to the gig and reduced the amount of trips I'd usually make to bring things in. I had ordered a used pedaltrain nano from GC but it ended up being a nano+, which didn't fit in the Tick. I think I'm gonna get one of those small D'addario XPND pedalboards to fit in the tick, I think it'll be nice to have something compact but have the option to add a couple more pedals if needed.

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:28 am

I wonder if they considered adding waist belt like hiking backpacks. It would distribute some of the weight to your hips. I have the dual bass case & have been happy with it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am

I'm in agreement that the tick does add a surprising amount of weight to the package (moreso than you'd expect) making even the single guitar case seem quite a handful once all loaded up! Fortunately I haven't had to use it for more than simple car/venue/venue/car trips so far so the weight is manageable.

The size and padding of the straps is good for distributing it well but I'd definitely get tired if I had to do any serious distance with it.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:47 am

Just chiming in to agree that yes, the TIck when I have my pedal board in it, adds a lot of weight to the whole package and feels a bit awkward.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:16 am

I'd think that having a tick full of (always surprisingly) heavy pedals attached to the back of a Mono case (or especially duo case) would make it feel even heavy, as the weight is further from your body. It reminds me of backpacking across Europe, hunched over with an overstuffed backpack.

That said, I hadn't used a normal hard case for a while and was stunned by how much a jaguar + G&G case weigh when I moved one yesterday.

Maybe time to get a baby Bjorn set up to strap the pedalboard to your chest to even out the weight? (only sort of joking)

Re: waist straps. I have noticed that the mono case doesn't have the straps in the right places for weight distribution when compared to backpacks (body/most weight is at bottom of case, which should be above your hips), and a waist strap would help there. One potential hurdle / annoyance is the overall height, depending on your height. I'm tall (but not super tall) and I have to duck some to get through doors with a guitar hiked up, and I inevitably smack every doorframe if I'm carrying a bass on my back.

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:12 am

foldable guitars would be convenient. had a bassist once that would remove the neck & carry his bass in a backpack.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 am

I wish someone would invent a gig bag that allowed the guitar to be worn very low, or otherwise inconspicuously.

I'm often wanting to downplay the fact that I'm carrying a guitar for a variety of reasons (not least of which is avoiding needless questioning about the bag's dimensions when boarding an aircraft), and most commercial solutions make the guitar-ness of it far too conspicuous.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:22 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 am
I wish someone would invent a gig bag that allowed the guitar to be worn very low, or otherwise inconspicuously.

I'm often wanting to downplay the fact that I'm carrying a guitar for a variety of reasons (not least of which is avoiding needless questioning about the bag's dimensions when boarding an aircraft), and most commercial solutions make the guitar-ness of it far too conspicuous.
?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:30 am

:D :D :D :D

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:19 am

Ha! I'm trying to get on the plane, not thrown out of the airport!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:27 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 am

The only way I think this would be possible is with the guitar/bag upside-down but then the weight of the guitar would be on the tip of the headstock. I guess you could have some kind of internal strap system to support the body etc but then it's getting kinda complicated.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:45 am

I often wear my gig bag upside down. It works great, except the straps are far less comfortable.

I’d be super into a bag that was made to wear the guitar headstock-down

But perhaps even a construction to have the guitar sit lower (instead of “backpack with neck sticking up above your head,” picture “skinny backpack with bulbous part hanging down by your knees”)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:55 am

I guess if it's a good fit the the weight distribution wouldn't be such an issue. I just tried one of mine upside-down and it was surprisingly comfy...you're onto something there Brad