Current Gibson Les Pauls

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Doc Sportello
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Current Gibson Les Pauls

Post by Doc Sportello » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:21 pm

So I went to see Guns 'n Roses play recently and feel like a do In fact need a Les Paul in my life.
Tried a traditional back in 2015 but it had too many QC issues so I returned it. I'm hearing they've got a new CEO and QC is on point nowadays.
Unfortunately, there are no shops nearby that have all their current models in stock. Was wondering which models would fit the following best and would very much appreciate the input of fellow forum dwellers who know their Gibsons better than I do

- RnR machine that can do blues well (and nail that GnR/Led Zep/insert rockgod tone). So not looking just for balls to the wall distorted tones but one that handles overdriven tones well without losing that warmth and subtlety, preferably.
- A compliment to my Fender Am Pro Jazzmaster and Squier CV Jaguar. As for amps, I play a '68 Custom Vibrolux and a Princeton Reverb
- Not too slim a neck profile: point of reference, I liked the Am65 JM neck profile, the Am Pro's neck is a bit less chunky but fine, though for a Les Paul, I wouldn't mind it a bit more substantial.
- Weight relief is not necessary. sustain on the other hand would be

Based on some research, the current LP Classic, Standard 50's and Slash signature seem to fit the bill. Do you guys know how the necks on these compare to say the AM65 JM or Am Pro JM? And is it true that the pickups in the Slash signature LP are exact copies of his Seymour Duncans or are they not quite on point? I read somewhere that his signature model is basically the 50's standard with a nicer top and different pickups.

Ofcourse I'll try to play them before buying but I might have to have them ordered so all info is welcome to narrow down the choice.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Current Gibson Les Pauls

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 pm

You would probably get better answers to these questions on TGP.

I actually played the Slash model and will vouch that the neck seems to be exactly what you want based on your description. I find all LPs muddy so cannot speak much to the pickups. I dont know if it was this particular guitar but it was pleasant to play and certainly not heavy as these guitars' reputation suggests. Overall it was a very nice guitar.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm

My job allows me to opportunity to play many brand-new Gibsons, and believe me when I say the QC issues are still very much a part of the deal. They're usually not deal-breaking, but I would certainly be looking to buy in person if I was searching for new Les Paul.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm

I had a recent LP Classic pass through my hands last summer (took it as a part trade, sold it because I didn't need more guitars).

I have to say, other than being a boat anchor, it was an absolutely stellar guitar. Fit and finish were perfect. The tone on that thing was so much better than I expected, too, as someone who firmly believed for decades that he just plain didn't like humbuckers.

Honestly, if it was lighter, I would probably have kept it and sold something else. I was genuinely sorry to see it go, it was just that lovely to play...sitting down.

I'm confident that my ideal Gibson really is my Flying V, though. It's nearly half the weight, sounds nearly the same, balances perfectly on a strap and defaults to classical position when seated. It's all I ever need in terms of a humbucker/Gibson guitar.

But damn, the neck and tone on that LP Classic were something to behold.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:58 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm
My job allows me to opportunity to play many brand-new Gibsons, and believe me when I say the QC issues are still very much a part of the deal. They're usually not deal-breaking, but I would certainly be looking to buy in person if I was searching for new Les Paul.
I’m not sure it changes anything, but for the sake of discussion—

QC issues were very much part of the deal even in the supposed halcyon days—these are and always have been factory-made guitars, with all the inconsistencies and flaws that connotes.

possible exceptions were the highest-end archtops… Super 400, Johnny Smith, L5…

But the “normal” electric and acoustic guitars of the 50s and 60s were probably about the same as now in terms of QC and consistency (though most people will fight to the death in defense of their belief otherwise).

Of course most people find the old ones to be subjectively cooler guitars, and I won’t argue that point.

But when it came to flat tops in particular, even the “golden era” (banner) guitars were much more highly-variable than you’d find today (routinely using substitute woods and a hodgepodge of features)

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Yes, and I suppose that's half the reason you buy a Gibson (or at least the reason that I do...), they tend to have more "character." Regardless, considering that a Les Paul standard is quickly closing in on 3k, the QC you get is somewhat embarrassing compared to their competitor's guitars around the same price point. These are generally just cosmetic issues, but you'd be surprised to see how many Gibsons are simply straight up rejected by more respected retailers (these often filter down to standard big box suspects).

This isn't meant to bash on Gibson; I own two modern Bozeman acoustics that I love, quirks aside. But I feel like anyone going down the Gibson rabbithole expecting Fender or PRS level QC is going to end up sorely disappointed.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 pm

When I look at the walls of the Guitar Centers near me, I'm taken aback at the light and crappy rosewood on $2000-2600+ Gibsons - it's GC so they've never been oiled/conditioned of course but oil will only go so far when you've got a Jimmy brown rosewood board. Fender has some dogs but overall does much better.

It's shallow but when you're talking about spending that kind of money on a vintage-homage guitar it should be a good homage.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 am

Do you feel you need a Gibson, or will any singlecut do?
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 am

I've purchased a couple new Gibson USAs, an LP Special and a 345, in the last year or so and they're pretty nice, QC-wise. It's a small sample size, obviously, but maybe expect a rough fingerboard with some light tool marks. Otherwise they're very good. The Special had an extremely dry fingerboard, as wooderson notes, but just oil has it looking pretty good.

As for necks, they're all probably going to be bigger than your JM but the Classic will be the closest. 50s profile necks can be pretty beefy. My Special is substantial.

The standard Slash model is 3200 so you're getting near custom shop territory. If you're okay with a big neck, maybe look at used '57 and '58 reissues, like this one.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:19 am

Yeah, I have no idea why Gibson doesn't oil the fingerboards on the way out. It's weird.

I have owned a lot of Gibsons and have never really seen this "QC issue".

Les Paul Studios tend to have the thicker necks, the Standards are always great playing from what I can tell.

If you don't know what you want, just order a Standard, send it back if it doesn't please you, rinse, repeat. This is modern guitar buying.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 am

Doc Sportello wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:21 pm
So I went to see Guns 'n Roses play recently and feel like a do In fact need a Les Paul in my life.
Tried a traditional back in 2015 but it had too many QC issues so I returned it. I'm hearing they've got a new CEO and QC is on point nowadays.
Unfortunately, there are no shops nearby that have all their current models in stock. Was wondering which models would fit the following best and would very much appreciate the input of fellow forum dwellers who know their Gibsons better than I do

- RnR machine that can do blues well (and nail that GnR/Led Zep/insert rockgod tone). So not looking just for balls to the wall distorted tones but one that handles overdriven tones well without losing that warmth and subtlety, preferably.
- A compliment to my Fender Am Pro Jazzmaster and Squier CV Jaguar. As for amps, I play a '68 Custom Vibrolux and a Princeton Reverb
- Not too slim a neck profile: point of reference, I liked the Am65 JM neck profile, the Am Pro's neck is a bit less chunky but fine, though for a Les Paul, I wouldn't mind it a bit more substantial.
- Weight relief is not necessary. sustain on the other hand would be

Based on some research, the current LP Classic, Standard 50's and Slash signature seem to fit the bill. Do you guys know how the necks on these compare to say the AM65 JM or Am Pro JM? And is it true that the pickups in the Slash signature LP are exact copies of his Seymour Duncans or are they not quite on point? I read somewhere that his signature model is basically the 50's standard with a nicer top and different pickups.

Ofcourse I'll try to play them before buying but I might have to have them ordered so all info is welcome to narrow down the choice.
The answer is Standard 50's.

My plan B would be a standard 70's. It have a neck between the 50's and the Slim Taper and have cool mini-HB.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm

Some of the QC-stuff is audience-dependent.

I have a friend who has this uncanny ability to immediately notice tiny blemishes on a brand-new instrument that to my eye looks utterly flawless.

He routinely orders brand new guitars and sends them back after noticing something that'd probably take me a decade to even register.

If this is your vibe, factory-made guitars (at any price point) are liable to require a few attempts. Something like a Collings or other high-end small-builder thing might be a better fit.

Part of it for me is probably the fact that, aside from one or two things, I've never bought brand-new instruments. After even a modest amount of use, the "QC flaws" tend to disappear into the noise of even light, honest playwear

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Yeah, I tend to not let myself get too worked up about it. And honestly, it's hard with Gibson, not because their guitars have bad quality but just because there's so much internet talk about it that it gets in your mind.

I guess I'm not too picky, although I just ordered a new used instrument and only just now noticed that it has a pretty big chunk of finish missing from the back.

Not sure how I missed that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:18 pm

I haven't looked at many of the other models recently, but I liked the Slash model.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm

For the price of the Slash LP, I'd definitely be looking at a used historic reissue goldtop instead like luau said, thats most likely going to be a better guitar.