NGD Hallmark Custom 60

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
luau
Admin
Admin

Re: NGD Hallmark Custom 60

Post by luau » Thu May 19, 2022 6:13 am

Congrats!

Playability, price, and finishes make these enticing. I like the yellow although the white pickup covers would have to go.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Thu May 19, 2022 10:49 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:02 am
:-* :-* :-*

I’ve always loved the Mosrite shape, but have always been scared away by the crazy thin necks. I’ve probably spent q bit to much time on the Hallmark website over the years just drooling.

How do you like the trem? I’ve been considering using one on an upcoming parts build I’m working on.
That is one of it's best features.

Zero Fret for exact pitch return

The combination of the headstock angle, the zero fret, the roller bridge and vibrato design means it ALWAYS returns back to exact pitch. I thought it would be like a Bigsby, i.e. it would "return" a few cents flat. No. The "Shade" vibrato returns to perfect pitch every time. It's crazy. I can go nuts on it and it's always in tune, it's a like Floyd Rose, but not ugly LOL
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Mon May 23, 2022 6:04 am

Absolutely terrible choice on your end.

On an unrelated note, I received this in the mail about a week ago.

Joking aside, these are seriously impressive guitars. I have one or two very minor finish quibbles, but it's head and shoulders above something like a modern Gibson. The neck is perfect and the fretwork is immaculate. I've wanted one of these for the better part of 10 years, and considering they're somehow still $1000(!), it felt like the right time to finally get one.

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Tue May 31, 2022 9:23 am

Hallmarks are fun! Bango has a Sweptwing - the only thing that I would watch out for is the strings unwinding at the vibrato. Strange but true, the first time I've ever experienced it on any of my guitars, it happened on stage and in the studio. Bob recommends strings with reinforced ball ends ($$) or others suggest soldering or supergluing the winds. Never wanted to pony up for more expensive strings, so occasionally will superglue or break out the soldering iron.

Your mileage may vary depending on your vibrato usage.
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

VPO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by VPO » Tue May 31, 2022 1:06 pm

I wish he would find distributor in Europe. Would love to buy one.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Tue May 31, 2022 4:29 pm

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:11 am
Jonesie wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:27 am
Are they really made in the US for a grand? I thought they were made in Korea or somewhere and then setup in the US, like Reverend does.
Nope. Bob gets the bodies, unfinished CNC'd in Korea. Then shipped over. Bob finishes them, assembles them, sets them up, does the fret work, winds the pickups by hand. The cases are made overseas, and dye cast hardware is too but he is assembles and finishes the guitars in Maryland.

So "made in the USA with components supplied from around the world" would be more accurate. However they don't become guitars until Bob Shade assembles, finishes them, and sets them up, before that happens they're just parts.

Pretty sure Fender USA gets their bodies CNC'd in Mexico and sent up, I believe only the Fender Custom Shop CNC's their own bodies.

We are a world economy now, guitar manufacturers get components made all over.

I will say this, the Hallmark is the most premium guitar I own. Feels way more "premium" than my Gibson Firebird and Gibson Les Paul.

The Hallmarks are too inexpensive, they'd be $2500 guitars if anyone else was selling them. Easy.
No - Hallmarks are made, painted and assembled 100% in Korea, then shipped to the US where Bob QC's them and sets them up. Look at the serial number - it's a Samick built guitar. Bob confirmed this on facebook not long ago. Bob does hand wind some pickups, but the pickups in his stock guitars are made overseas too. all the hardware is made oveseas too.

Bob farms out the custom painted stuff to a guy - I don't think Bob Shade paints anything at this point.

They are nice guitars, and the price is right.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:28 am

No - Hallmarks are made, painted and assembled 100% in Korea, then shipped to the US where Bob QC's them and sets them up. Look at the serial number - it's a Samick built guitar. Bob confirmed this on facebook not long ago. Bob does hand wind some pickups, but the pickups in his stock guitars are made overseas too. all the hardware is made oveseas too.
I am the creator and admin of the Hallmark Guitars Owners and Fans Group on Facebook.

That’s not correct. Some get painted by Bob and other get custom paint jobs by Wayne Jarrett. Bob also makes custom one off Hallmark guitars (like a Bass VI style Swept Wing for example ).

None of the guitars come from Korea with hardware, he gets husks. He sources his hardware from a different company.

Also the “Gospel” Hallmarks are finished by Bob. (Confusingly there is a the Hallmark Gospel line that Bob does, it is a Cobain inspired Mark IV guitar, that is production, I am speaking of the one off Gospel guitars that are all unique).

So to say Bob just checks them for quality control would not be correct at all.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:31 am

DesmondWafers wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:04 am
Absolutely terrible choice on your end.

On an unrelated note, I received this in the mail about a week ago.

Joking aside, these are seriously impressive guitars. I have one or two very minor finish quibbles, but it's head and shoulders above something like a modern Gibson. The neck is perfect and the fretwork is immaculate. I've wanted one of these for the better part of 10 years, and considering they're somehow still $1000(!), it felt like the right time to finally get one.
Awesome and congrats. I have a second Custom 60 coming as a back-up

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:32 am

VPO wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:06 pm
I wish he would find distributor in Europe. Would love to buy one.
You can buy directly from Bob, he ships to Europe. I live in Ireland, that is how I get mine.

You can reach out here, join our Facebook group and make a post, Bob will reply. He is very active on the Facebook group.

www.facebook.com/groups/hallmarkguitars

You can always email him directly too: hallmarkguitars@verizon.net
Last edited by cincinnatiharry on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:39 am

Bango_Rilla wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:23 am
Hallmarks are fun! Bango has a Sweptwing - the only thing that I would watch out for is the strings unwinding at the vibrato. Strange but true, the first time I've ever experienced it on any of my guitars, it happened on stage and in the studio. Bob recommends strings with reinforced ball ends ($$) or others suggest soldering or supergluing the winds. Never wanted to pony up for more expensive strings, so occasionally will superglue or break out the soldering iron.

Your mileage may vary depending on your vibrato usage.
You’re spot on. One needs to use “reinforced” strings with “soldered twists”. That is what they are shipped with and that is what the vibrato is designed to use. Lots of string makers sell sets with “soldered twists” try the D’Addario XT strings. They are more expensive but they also last longer so it works out in the end.

Bob should advertise this fact more.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 am

I first met Bob Shade in 2007, at the Deke Dickerson Geek Fest. Bob had 3 prototypes of the '60 custom, including one that had "the Nokie Model" on the headstock, mostly covered with a guitar pick because Nokie didn't go for it, and Nokie was actually there. I ordered one of the first batch in white, and my buddy ordered an Orange Sparkle and a Green Burst Sparkle one. Bob was very forthcoming about the origins of these guitars. I believe he even told us that he personally checks every guitar that comes in, and tweeks them if needed. He may have said he restrings them too. It was a long time ago.

BTW, all of our production guitars we received from his first shipment had black headstocks, presumably to cover up "The Nokie Model" that fell thru.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:18 pm

I don't need to read any of this. I've wanted one of those RWB Custom 60's for years and never picked one up. I finally got an Aria Pro II / Phase 4 copy to scratch that Mosrite type itch and I've been pretty happy with it but still...
She/Her

inkeye
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by inkeye » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:48 am

Nice Custom 60. I have a Custom 65 in Candy Blue. Although, I seem to have problems with it returning to pitch. The feel and playability of this guitar is great though.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:59 am

inkeye wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:48 am
Nice Custom 60. I have a Custom 65 in Candy Blue. Although, I seem to have problems with it returning to pitch. The feel and playability of this guitar is great though.
Did you change the string gauge from the factory 10s? I have 2 Custom 60s and both return to perfect pitch. I kept everything stock, same strings, same gauge, same setup.

Come on the Facebook group for support, Bob the owner is a mod there along with myself.

www.facebook.com/groups/hallmarkguitars/
Last edited by cincinnatiharry on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:01 am

I got a second one!

The one with white pickup covers is with my luthier, getting refinished to shell pink with a "thin skin" nitrocellulose lacquer finish.