Help ID-ing this weird Peavey guitar

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help ID-ing this weird Peavey guitar

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:18 am

OP - that’s a cheap old Japanese guitar with a Peavey badge slapped on the headstock

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:32 pm

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:36 am
tdksa90 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:23 am
I've been looking at Peavey T-15 shortscale guitars lately. I've never heard or played one, but I'm intrigued.

Get one quick. The metal dudes are buying these guitars up and putting bolt-on aluminium necks on them. This is causing the price to rise. I used to see them on Craigslist for $200 all the time. Now they are $600 minimum. There’s a bass version of that guitar too. The cases they came with are similar to the Gibson “chainsaw” cases, only more reliable (the latches don’t come off as easily).
We have one at Dipinto Guitars, where I work. It won’t last long.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:27 pm

Haw! Yeah that's an old Japan cheese log with a Peavey badge bolted to the headstock. As far as the younger generation's interest in T-15, T-40, T-60s, that's a head scratcher to me, but then again, that must have been what the boomers thought when my generation was horny for Silvertone, Supro, and Harmony catalog guitars.
The Peaveys from that time period were well made, just had very low market cache and resale value. A USA made Peavey and a Chinese Affinity Squier were worth about the same twenty years ago. Will a future generation be looking for First Acts?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:13 am

Those actual Peaveys are quite cool, though they all weigh about eleventy pounds.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:28 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:13 am
Those actual Peaveys are quite cool, though they all weigh about eleventy pounds.
I had the T-40 Bass of these. Pretty sure it was heavier than my car.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bah humbuck » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Sweetfinger wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:27 pm
Will a future generation be looking for First Acts?
As much as it hurts me to say it, probably.

Re: the peaveys, my guitar buddy has sworn the t60 felt like something in a much higher price bracket. I haven't played one personally but I did try a t26 and it was remarkably butter-like. there's a black t-something body on reverb that i was looking at just this morning...............

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 pm

First acts aren’t actual guitars though. The silver tones had cool dearmond pickups and stuff at least. First Act Walmart guitars are like someone sweeper a floor in a busy warehouse and stirred the collect with some glue and put strings on it. Those Peaveys were made in America with a bunch of proprietary parts and much like the guitars we all gush after, are popular with a certain crowd because they’re cheap but good quality and make interesting sounds.

Most unnecessarily heavy stupid guitars though. I liked the one I had and have a cool idea for another one if I ever get rich enough to actually go for it - aluminum neck but carve out a route on the top half to hold a delay and fuzz, think of what Bilt does, and put Mastery hardware/trem on it. Maybe one day, but probably won’t ever actually happen.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 pm

+1 that is a Kay/etc. Doesn't really look like a Teisco style. That's a Peavey sticker put on it to hide the original branding.

Fun note: The control knobs off Peavey T-60s run around $25 each the last time I looked about four years ago.

A very good Peavey to look for that often has great pricing are the USA Predator models. The necks and bodies were made in Mississippi and then loaded pickguards and other hardware was imported and all final assembly here. Sold as 'Made in USA' that way. Swap out the trapezoid tuners and a few control parts (pickups are fine), and they are a great guitar (I have a tuxedo Strat around here). I think there was a period they went to imported loaded bodies with USA made necks, and then fully imported guitars.

Peavey had a patent on how they built their necks. A neck board was sawed in half lengthwise, one side flipped end for end (for stability), then both mating faces had the truss rod channel routed in them. After glue up the necks were put on a gun stock lathe that routed six to twelve necks at a time. The result was a well made, stable neck.

The Peavey T15/25/40/60/etc era of guitars were right during the time that guitar magazines were convincing players they definitely needed twelve pound Les Pauls if they wanted any chance at sustain. The players demanded heavy guitars and they got them.

OP: there is a segment of players who snatch up those old Kay/Teisco/etc MIJ guitars to gut them for the pickups ala Ry Cooder and his CooderCasters. I had one of the early Teisco Tulips (1963) with the more Jazzmastery-style pickups (later they went with the type you saw in your picture) that after I fixed the neck bow and refretted it with stainless steel frets, it was an absolute monster for tone. When both pickups were 'on' the circuit had them in series (non-humbucking). All deceiving for a guitar that weighed 5.5lbs.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:37 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 pm
First acts aren’t actual guitars though. The silver tones had cool dearmond pickups and stuff at least. First Act Walmart guitars are like someone sweeper a floor in a busy warehouse and stirred the collect with some glue and put strings on it. Those Peaveys were made in America with a bunch of proprietary parts and much like the guitars we all gush after, are popular with a certain crowd because they’re cheap but good quality and make interesting sounds.
"Those aren't "real" guitars", is what the boomer gen Les Paul, Strat, and Martin collectors/dealers used to say about Harmony, Kay, Supros, Silvertones, etc.
I used to have a little drawer full of Dearmond pickups because they were considered junk, just like the "junk" guitars they came on. One look at the build quality and I could tell those pickups were built as good or better than anything else.
"much like the guitars we all gush after, are popular with a certain crowd because they’re cheap but good quality and make interesting sounds."
That's exactly the argument I made about those catalog brands in the 80s and 90s. Every ten years or so, a new generation would come in and re-write what the desirable vintage guitar models and brands were. I said at some point, a sure sign of the end times would be if Fender someday reissues the three bolt Strat or Tele. I remember when Wide Range humbuckers were garbage nobody wanted. I remember when Jazzmasters and Jaguars were oddballs that didn't command near the prices of Strats or Teles, and only throwback surf players were interested in them. The only people who had Mustangs were late boomers who were nostalgic for their "first" guitar. After Cobain, you saw more interest.
It's the natural progression of things. The interest in Peaveys is befuddling to me, but I've been around long enough to see it for what it is, and more power to the kids who think they're nifty. I guarantee, some future generation will be horny for stuff you think is junk, and WAS junk, for a good portion of your existence.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:44 am

I just meant that at least the catalog guitars had American parts on them. Most of the ones I played are admittedly pretty crappy but they have redeeming qualities as well and I can’t say the same about a first act, like any first act, that I’ve ever held or played. To be fair I can’t say definitively that they won’t be a popular thing someday when I’m my dad’s age because you’re right, people his age were saying the same thing about those catalog guitars and look where we are now.

Didn’t first act Sue some guitar teacher for talking shit about them in public all the time lol

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:28 am

tdksa90 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:23 am
I've been looking at Peavey T-15 shortscale guitars lately. I've never heard or played one, but I'm intrigued.
The very first guitar tracks I ever recorded were on my bandmate's T-15. Fun little guitar! He still has it, though I remember it feeling very small; even at the time when I was a skinny teenager. Fast-forward 25+ years, and I'm not sure how well my fat old hands would do with it today, but now I'm intrigued, too! Next time I'm over at his studio, I'll give it a try.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:49 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Haw! Yeah that's an old Japan cheese log with a Peavey badge bolted to the headstock. As far as the younger generation's interest in T-15, T-40, T-60s, that's a head scratcher to me, but then again, that must have been what the boomers thought when my generation was horny for Silvertone, Supro, and Harmony catalog guitars.
The Peaveys from that time period were well made, just had very low market cache and resale value. A USA made Peavey and a Chinese Affinity Squier were worth about the same twenty years ago. Will a future generation be looking for First Acts?
Pretty sure they were made in the USA, not Japan
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:49 am
Sweetfinger wrote:
Huh? The OP's guitar is definitely Japanese. If you are referring to Peavey guitars in general, yes, those were made in the USA, but I never said they weren't, so I'm not understanding your reply. Towards the end of the 80s Peavey did start importing guitars as the "International Series" and "International Series II", but not from Japan, as far as I know.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Mon May 02, 2022 4:30 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm
cincinnatiharry wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:49 am
Sweetfinger wrote:
Huh? The OP's guitar is definitely Japanese. If you are referring to Peavey guitars in general, yes, those were made in the USA, but I never said they weren't, so I'm not understanding your reply. Towards the end of the 80s Peavey did start importing guitars as the "International Series" and "International Series II", but not from Japan, as far as I know.
Peavy T-60 was USA made https://www.samash.com/spotlight/sam-as ... -60-guitar as was the T-15
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu May 05, 2022 10:39 pm

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:30 am

Peavy T-60 was USA made https://www.samash.com/spotlight/sam-as ... -60-guitar as was the T-15
Yes, I know. Why do you keep telling me something I know, particularly when it has no relevance to the OP's question? The OP's guitar is not a T-60, T-15, or ANY Peavey, USA made or import.