Fret buzz on a Tele Deluxe RI...What am I doing wrong?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Fret buzz on a Tele Deluxe RI...What am I doing wrong?

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 26, 2008 1:26 pm

I tightened the trussrod, and I think it's better now.  I didn't think it had too much relief...I even measured it.  ???

I turned the amp up, and it doesn't come through noticeably.  I think it should be fine for now.  I may even put the old saddles back on.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Mon May 26, 2008 1:46 pm

It could have been the truss itself that rattled at certain frequencies when too loose, or have you located it as FRET buzz?  ???

- I've heard that "truss buzz" with a couple of Basses, anyway.
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 26, 2008 2:01 pm

I haven't located the fret buzz, no....That could be part of it.  The neck's almost DEAD flat now, but the buzz is less.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Mon May 26, 2008 6:44 pm

Definitely not the nut, because it does it when fretting almost exclusively.  Also, the guitar is like 2 months old, so the frets show no wear.  Frustrating, eh?  Sad
It could still be the nut. If the slots are too low, then the angle the string makes when fretted will be off. Try putting some thin (like 9's ) string pieces under each string to raise them a little off the nut and see if it persists.

Also, if the neck has a raise in it where the neck is bolted on that will cause a buzz. Did you sight down the neck to see if it has a rise there?

Also maple fingerboards are notorious for buzzing. Does it have a maple fingerboard?

Buzzing necks piss me off. My strat did that when I got it in 1974 but it had a rise in it.  It doesnt take much either.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.