Rockster SK-525 - what to do?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rockster SK-525 - what to do?

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 pm

Brief story on this thing.

When I was 11 I'd started showing interest in playing guitar and had been learning a little on my mum's old 60s Suzuki classical. My dad told me to get in the car and told me we were going to the local reclamation yard for some materials for his work on Monday - but instead took me down to the local pawn shop to buy me my first electric guitar. I was allowed to spend £50 on a guitar and amp. I ended up with some old Encore guitar and a Park 10w practice amp but I remember seeing hung on the wall, about 20ft up, this crazy looking thing with bulletholes and Japanese writing and it looked cool as fuck. it was, however, £50 just on its own, no amp. So I couldn't have it - and couldn't convince my dad to swing the extra tenner to have both. I still left the shop happy - hell, I had my first electric guitar! I still remember that day well, and it's one of the only fond memories I have of my childhood. Fast forward to a few years ago and what should I stumble across on eBay, and for the paltry sum of £15? You guessed it...

Someone has tip-ex'd/whiteout'd the logo but some very quick digging revealed it's a Rockster SK-525, Made In Korea. The graphic is underneath the clearcoat, meaning it's survived rather well. Digging it out of storage the pots are seized and the pickup selector is rusted to death BUT it does actually still work. Body is composite/ply but the neck appears to be mahogany and still pretty true and straight.

So, what should I do with this thing? I've looked them up and they're still utterly worthless so just replace the borked bits and play it? Stuff some crazy pickups in and turn it into some 80s hair-metal frankenstrat? Or just hang it on the wall and remind myself that, for one brief moment of my childhood, my dad wasn't a total dick - although still a tightarse :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rockster SK-525 - what to do?

Post by smjenkins » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm

Fix it up and shred!

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rockster SK-525 - what to do?

Post by Jonesie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:19 am

This calls for a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker in the bridge. How many rails? Too many rails.